Did Safari get "broken" by recent security/OS updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Count me in for recent Safari pop-ups.

+1. Sucks if you ask me. Even though I only get one per day, that's one too many.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    If anyone here would be a boon...try going to this website and cruise around from topic to topic a couple times. Give it a good run-through.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I'm suspecting the html coding for this website may be what has been giving my Safari fits all this time. If it gives yours fits, please let me know. Thanks!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I've had some difficulty closing Safari tabs. If I click the little X to close it, it sometimes will not respond or will take a lot of time and clicks before it actually disappears.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    You mean, in general, or when you visit the website I cited?

The symptoms do sound familiar to what I have experience, though. Safari will often "hang" on the last byte when refreshing pages at Beyond3D and response gets very dodgy (if it hasn't gone into the spinning beachball coma, yet). At that point, it either recovers after some long period of waiting, or it crashes out, for me.

Ever since I isolated this website away from Safari (loading it in IE, instead), it has been behaving much better. [fingers crossed] IE seems to also load this website with far greater ease and no crashing. Coincidence? I dunno.

I always attributed the latency Safari sometimes has when attempting to close-out a tab to it emptying out some big cache of data before nixing the tab. Perhaps this is all sorts of cached stuff if you have been to a variety of locations in that tab prior to cancelling it. I do hear the HD thrashing with something in connection to the appearance of this delay.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Solution to all POP-UP ADs in any platform:

Firefox, with the AD-Block with this set of filter rules
  • Reply 26 of 30
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Pop-unders have been defeating pop-up blockers recently.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...0143223&tid=95
  • Reply 27 of 30
    My update to the topic is that the website I cited above, indeed, does appear to give Safari "issues". It hasn't crashed once since I refrained from using Safari to load the site. Anybody else care to post in about other websites they have found to be incompatible with Safari? Please do share here.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

My update to the topic is that the website I cited above, indeed, does appear to give Safari "issues". It hasn't crashed once since I refrained from using Safari to load the site. Anybody else care to post in about other websites they have found to be incompatible with Safari? Please do share here.

It seems to me that more of the financial/insurance sites I use to pay bills and such are not fully functional in Safari. I now mostly use FireFox by default when I go to these sites because I'm tired to trying to load them in Safari, failing, then having to start up FF and navigate to that site, re-login, etc. My bank, my mortgage co. & my insurance co. are all sites I don't use in Safari anymore (no I won't be more specific than that).
  • Reply 29 of 30
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    My school website doesn't work at all with Safari. I have to use IE. It's a lot of java and pulldown menus.

www.schulich.yorku.ca

Edit: Should have been more clear. Most of the main page works fine but when I log into the course database, it doesn't work at all.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

My school website doesn't work at all with Safari. I have to use IE. It's a lot of java and pulldown menus.

www.schulich.yorku.ca

Edit: Should have been more clear. Most of the main page works fine but when I log into the course database, it doesn't work at all.

I had those type of problems with CCSU's WebCT course too. I had forgotten about this issue until Danosaur's post.