Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I far prefer Yo? or Wazzup?.

I'm definitely going with Yo.

Or maybe 'Sup.

Bonjour is so... Bomb Voyage...
  • Reply 22 of 59
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I can see all the Francophobic neo-cons getting outta shape.... can't wait for Rush to call for a boycott on 'Bonjour" and call for "Freedom Link!"

Personally "Menage!" sounds better to me.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    How embarrassing will it be to have to use the word "Bonjour" in sentences when trying to help someone with their computer?! Sheesh. I can't even say it without laughing, much less a straight face.

Wasn't there an Arby's commercial where the oven mit was trying to say some french word with a "j" and kept saying 'juice' or something else instead? Maybe Apple could hire the mit out to advertise this change too?
  • Reply 24 of 59
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I'm definitely going with Yo.

Or maybe 'Sup.

I love 'sup.

Gotta do it with a single reverse nod for that proper high-school hallway effect.

Imagine a French software company calling it's networking technology "Howdy"!
  • Reply 25 of 59
    What is everyone's problem with the name Rendezvous (except obviously Tibco), I liked it.

Bonjour is a crap name though, terrible. OpenTalk wasn't too bad a name. Maybe for a less "techy" name got for MeetAndGreat.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

One word: FreedomNet

Two words.

• Reply 27 of 59
    Uggggggh ... Bonjour has to be the single worst name Apple has ever come up with ... and all it does is reinforce Apple among IT professionals as being the home of fruity white-wine sipping snobs ... I think the Bonjour name will help continue Apple's laughing stock reputation as a "serious tech" company.

Please Apple, say siyonara to Bonjour. Merci!
  • Reply 28 of 59
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottylad

Uggggggh ... Bonjour has to be the single worst name Apple has ever come up with ... and all it does is reinforce Apple among IT professionals as being the home of fruity white-wine sipping snobs ... I think the Bonjour name will help continue Apple's laughing stock reputation as a "serious tech" company.

Please Apple, say siyonara to Bonjour. Merci!

How about oi!

• Reply 29 of 59
    I thought Rendezvous was perfect, actually. OpenTalk works. It's a modern extension of AppleTalk. Logical, too.

Bonjour really sucks. I can just imagine what Francophobic fools will say about it.

Howdy would be funny, but I'm sure not take seriously by the rigid IT people of the world.

What about...

Howzitgoin

HandShake

There are many possibilities better than Bonjour
  • Reply 30 of 59
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Jeez, just be glad you're not a French Mac user. It would play out like a "Who's on First?" sketch.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Bonjour is an improvments on Rendevous IMHO... it stills tells you what the technology does but in a simpler way. But the guy who said 'Yo' is a genius

Isn't one of the main OS X designers French?
  • Reply 32 of 59
    OpenTalk too techie? Was AppleTalk too techie? I can still imagine the jokes that will be made if Apple is dumb enough to choose "Bonjour".

How about something jive? Holmes, player or G maybe? Sister? Brother perhaps? Or "Lets shizzle my nizzle."

Just some of the ways you can say hello.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    How about GetFreaky? Kind of opposite of what you want to happen...

Other ideas:

GetWitIt

UltraTalk (hmm sounds like Ultraman)

HyperTalk (confused with HyperThreading)

TalkEasy (sounds like for mobile phones)

iNetwork (sounds like a product not a technology)

SmoothTalk

Suave

Hey...!! Apple's new networking technology, Suave (soo-ah-vay) ....... helps your different devices and computers join and interact with each other like a coke/ecstasy-fuelled swinger's party...

Suahvay

Suavey... hmm sounds Jewish...

....the search continues
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Handshake.

That would've been the best name for an App ever.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    what about "Hola Cabron"

or "Que Tal"

or "Qiero TacoBell"

or... "Majana"

or maybe I'll just shut up.

Although I do like " 'ssup "
  • Reply 36 of 59
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    also... I just CANNOT see industry put this technology name on their products:

HP Printers that say "Easy set up with BONJOUR!"

People are gonna think that the printer comes with a frikken Croissant or something

That... thats just not gonna work
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Oh how fitting, not just the person, but the state - most people in this state could not figure out basic computer networking if it bit them, oh screw it, you know where this is going, particularly if you have visited Indiana.

[in the tune of Deuling Banjos]

Deer-ner-neer-neer-ner dre-neer-neer!

Hey, just because a few of us have the uncle/dad dosen't make the place all bad. Besides if you find your girlfriend at the family reunion just means you already know her family.

And to the point that you so clearly illustrated, if folks from Indiana can use this technology anyone can, so that is just another way of saying ease of use.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Hey, just because a few of us have the uncle/dad dosen't make the place all bad. Besides if you find your girlfriend at the family reunion just means you already know her family.

OMG ROFLMAO
  • Reply 39 of 59
    My name for the technology:

"How Did It Do That?"

My first experience with Rendezvous was shortly after I installed Jaguar right after it came out. I was typing on my iBook which was connected wirelessly via AirPort to my iMac which had a printer. Previously, if I needed to print something I typed on the iBook, I'd send the file to the iMac, open it there and print it. Late one night, I was kind of bleary-eyed and not thinking straight when I asked the iBook to print and offered up the printer connceted to the iMac (courtesy of Rendezvous which figured out what I had never bothered to) and I accepted. All of a sudden I hear the printer going a few rooms away in the den and said, "How did it do that!?"

Actually, Apple could call it, "We'll Take Care of It, You Morons" and we'd still use it, 'cause it works so damn well!
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Personally I think it is a good choice. Might not be so great for French Mac users, though.