Apple to reshuffle iPod offerings, mini update to gain color screen

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:

Apple has been buying 5GB ST1 microdrives from Seagate since at least December. The iPod maker has been using the 5GB drives in the manufacturing of its current 4GB iPod mini, with a firmware block that restricts the usable capacity of the player to 4GB.

Doesn't anyone find this a little disturbing in some way? So, you could have a whole extra gigabyte in your iPod but it has been disabled due to market/pricing concerns? And, will Apple ever release firmware to unblock this? Probably not. Even though you paid for a 4GB iPod and got the extra GB, if it's there it's there-- there's no good reason for Apple to block you from making use of it!
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by GamoGuy

Doesn't anyone find this a little disturbing in some way? So, you could have a whole extra gigabyte in your iPod but it has been disabled due to market/pricing concerns? And, will Apple ever release firmware to unblock this? Probably not. Even though you paid for a 4GB iPod and got the extra GB, if it's there it's there-- there's no good reason for Apple to block you from making use of it!

Actually thats pretty commen in the tech-world.

I remember something similar with a Kodak camera, where you could software hack it to go from a 200$ camera to a 500$ one..
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't think Apple would put a radio tuner in their iPod because it's sort of the antithesis of what the iPod is about. If you have an iPod, you have all your music ? who needs the radio? You want an iPod to tune in NPR? That would be pitiful.

Uh, no it wouldn't be. What is the only other reason to listen to something other than tunes on the go??? I don't need music from the radio anymore, but I would like the news (and not traffic reports since all cars have am anyway) and once broadband goes wifi in the cities, streaming radio.

Okay so I'm a news junkie at times, but that is not a small market!!

Greg
  • Reply 44 of 57
    vvmpvvmp Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ltong

My prediction is not multicolored screens, but single color screens, to match or contrast new casing colors. Just a thought.

My 2 upgrade requests: Bluetooth to work with wireless heaphones/car stereo solution, and built in speaker when i get tired of listening through headphones, even if it snds like a cheesy AM radio LOL!!!

Perhaps you could throw in a nice litte taser gun?
  • Reply 45 of 57
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't think Apple would put a radio tuner in their iPod because it's sort of the antithesis of what the iPod is about. If you have an iPod, you have all your music ? who needs the radio? You want an iPod to tune in NPR? That would be pitiful.

Uh, no it wouldn't be. What is the only other reason to listen to something other than tunes on the go??? I don't need music from the radio anymore, but I would like the news (and not traffic reports since all cars have am anyway) and once broadband goes wifi in the cities, streaming radio.

Okay so I'm a news junkie at times, but that is not a small market!!

Greg
  • Reply 46 of 57
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ltong

No more time than it already takes to make the different color casings. What settings are you speaking of? I'm talking single color displays like how the 3G iPods had red displays. They manufacture the minis based on which color is selling best, so why would it be so hard to add a green screen to the green mini when all there making that day is green minis?

Apple have always had monochrome for the iPods - until the iPod photo, however, the buttons were red, is that what you mean? I think a colour screen would be good, single colours would be difficult to read and would be pointless.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Apple have always had monochrome for the iPods - until the iPod photo, however, the buttons were red, is that what you mean? I think a colour screen would be good, single colours would be difficult to read and would be pointless.

Your right, I was thinking the 3G iPods had red backlit LCDs.

But let me rephrase. Apple should offer iPod minis with different colored backlights, to illuminate the white space with specific colors. Maybe limited edition minis.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    So it looks like the new iPod lineup might look something like this:

No Screen:

512K iPod Shuffle $99

1GB iPod Shuffle $149

Grayscale Screen:

4GB iPod mini $199 (silver only)

20GB iPod U2 $299

Color Screen:

6GB iPod mini $249 (silver, green, pink, blue, red)

30GB iPod Photo $349

60GB iPod Photo $449

Good grief the iPod line is spinning out of control!
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

So it looks like the new iPod lineup might look something like this:

No Screen:

512K iPod Shuffle $99

1GB iPod Shuffle $149

Grayscale Screen:

4GB iPod mini $199 (silver only)

20GB iPod U2 $299

Color Screen:

6GB iPod mini $249 (silver, green, pink, blue, red)

30GB iPod Photo $349

60GB iPod Photo $449

Good grief the iPod line is spinning out of control!

so no more iPod. It looks quite confusing to me. At the moment it's simple - few songs, shuffle, more songs mini, more songs, iPod (or U2 if you're a fan) and then photo for even more as well as photos. This system is like little songs, shuffle, more songs, well colour mini or black and white mini, then colour screen well.

Anyway my point is Jobs has tried to simplify Apple's, offerings. He wont allow a confusion of versions. If he does offer what you say he'll make it easier to digest (I hope).

What I want to see in an iPod:

colour screen

connect directly to camera

support for images in address book files (difficult as use vCard)

images in notes

FireWire 800 support for the PowerBook and PowerMac owners, otherwise it'll never catch on!

what would be cool:

bluetooth 2 for AirTunes and wireless headphones - although easier to loose

a remote for the iPod with more controls and a screen - although this makes it more complicated but look at the Sony Walkman very popular and has a decent remote.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    I would drop the "Photo" from the name myself. It's really more of a bonus feature rather than something you want to draw attention to. It doesn't sync with iPhoto or connect to a digital camera and has received a lot of bad press because of this. A color screen is really just a natural evolution of the iPod so why not leave it at that?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I would drop the "Photo" from the name myself. It's really more of a bonus feature rather than something you want to draw attention to. It doesn't sync with iPhoto or connect to a digital camera and has received a lot of bad press because of this. A color screen is really just a natural evolution of the iPod so why not leave it at that?

yeah they should drop the name but also connect to a camera!
  • Reply 52 of 57
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    .....or drop a camera into it !!!!!
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

yeah they should drop the name but also connect to a camera!

If it connected to a camera and synced with iPhoto then it might be another story. As it stands right now however it just draws attention to something that is seriously lacking. The iPod mini will be getting a color screen but that doesn't make it an iPod Photo. They need to simplify things.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    For me what's missing from the iPod photo is a bundled adaptor for transferring photos from you camera straight to the iPod. Granted Apple wants the Mac to be the hub, but when moving around you don't always have a computer at your disposal.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

For me what's missing from the iPod photo is a bundled adaptor for transferring photos from you camera straight to the iPod. Granted Apple wants the Mac to be the hub, but when moving around you don't always have a computer at your disposal.

maybe they expect people to buy a laptop. But I would rather Apple made a solution, rather than having to pay £70 for a Belkin device which doesn't allow you to see them.

I don't think the name is confusing. The iPod plays music, you can't add music on the move, I think Apple are trying to keep it simple.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    I agree that the "Photo" was not a good move without integration with iPhoto out of the box. The iPod began as an iTunes integrated device with slowly added pda features. As it develops the iPod needs to add not only iTunes, but iPhoto and the QT and slowly all of iLife into an easy integration .... Keynote of iWork should also be seemless.

The idea is not to replace the cpu, but all it needs to do is hold information and display it in the most convenient way. The cpu is needed to convert all of these files into compressed standard formats.

Cameras and such should be add-ons, not integrated into the iPod. I bought a camera phone, but so few friends have them, it really is a waste. The only exceptions to that in my opinion should be an integrated mic, like on the iSight.

Aside: As a matter of fact, how hard would it be to connect an iSight to an iPod? How much processing happens in the iSight itself before it goes to mp4 or whatever it needs to be?

About the need to simplify, I think that may be correct. There are advantages to keeping the iPod at the same price points with added features "standard" like luxury cars do. Yet I think naming conventions can be included that do make sense - iPod FM or iPod Professional or some such names. Consumers get names if they are consistent and mean something.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I agree that the "Photo" was not a good move without integration with iPhoto out of the box. The iPod began as an iTunes integrated device with slowly added pda features. As it develops the iPod needs to add not only iTunes, but iPhoto and the QT and slowly all of iLife into an easy integration .... Keynote of iWork should also be seemless.

The idea is not to replace the cpu, but all it needs to do is hold information and display it in the most convenient way. The cpu is needed to convert all of these files into compressed standard formats.

Cameras and such should be add-ons, not integrated into the iPod. I bought a camera phone, but so few friends have them, it really is a waste. The only exceptions to that in my opinion should be an integrated mic, like on the iSight.

Aside: As a matter of fact, how hard would it be to connect an iSight to an iPod? How much processing happens in the iSight itself before it goes to mp4 or whatever it needs to be?

About the need to simplify, I think that may be correct. There are advantages to keeping the iPod at the same price points with added features "standard" like luxury cars do. Yet I think naming conventions can be included that do make sense - iPod FM or iPod Professional or some such names. Consumers get names if they are consistent and mean something.

I don't see the need of an iSight or a Mic for an iPod. the iPod is for pictures and music. You can't record audio with a mono mic and an iSight would be cumbersome.