Advice for someone starting up on their own?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Messiah, I'm in the same boat as you. Designer for almost 10 years. I was stuck in a go nowhere dead end job. The long hours, stress, broken systems, politics, creatively stiffling environment took a toll on my body. I burned out and fell into a depression. But I'm better now. That experience showed me working for someone else is not in my future. I love graphic art. I just can't stand the toxic envirionment its created in.

I'm just as scared as you about self employment. I took a course in small business. It helped, but they don't train you to run a business. I took away a lot of info to digest.

Do you have any other passions? Build a business around that! Use your creative skills to promote and market yourself/business. Why promote other people's business and services. Why do you want to dumb down your work for clients. Go in to the business of self-promotion.

I've been crazy about toys my entire life. I want to open a high end boutique toy store. I'm going to design, market, promote, sell everything myself. That includes store design, advertising, displays, and promotions. No compromise. No dumbing down of work.

In the mean time, I'm working full time and socking away as much money as I can.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

Messiah, I'm in the same boat as you. Designer for almost 10 years. I was stuck in a go nowhere dead end job. The long hours, stress, broken systems, politics, creatively stiffling environment took a toll on my body. I burned out and fell into a depression. But I'm better now. That experience showed me working for someone else is not in my future. I love graphic art. I just can't stand the toxic envirionment its created in.

I'm just as scared as you about self employment. I took a course in small business. It helped, but they don't train you to run a business. I took away a lot of info to digest.

Do you have any other passions? Build a business around that! Use your creative skills to promote and market yourself/business. Why promote other people's business and services. Why do you want to dumb down your work for clients. Go in to the business of self-promotion.

I've been crazy about toys my entire life. I want to open a high end boutique toy store. I'm going to design, market, promote, sell everything myself. That includes store design, advertising, displays, and promotions. No compromise. No dumbing down of work.

In the mean time, I'm working full time and socking away as much money as I can.

1. glad to see you have recovered

2. i have just started on prozac and xanax a few weeks a go. my dad's a doctor, so at least he was able to hook me up with a decent therapist, didn't have to order from some spam mail

3. what full time job have you started again in? design or something else?

4. the small business course was helpful for me in sydney, australia ("eastern suburbs BEC") because if you run a small business you have to fill out these quarterly business activity statements for australian tax purposes. so in my first year while i lost quite a bit of cash at least i got most of my tax stuff alright in that first year and only needed to spend about $200 on a tax accountant, thanks to the knowledge from that small business course... but yeah it was hell of a lot of info to take in