Apple debuts new iPod photos with optional camera connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I don?t understand why having a USB 2.0 only on the mini is such a big deal. Maybe the USB version sold 2 ? 1 over the FireWire version. It?s not like Macs don?t have a USB 2.0.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The iPods don't have USB or FireWire *on* them (except the Shuffle), they have a Dock Connector. The new ones are just shipping with the USB cable only, no included FireWire cable. That's all.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The iPods don't have USB or FireWire *on* them (except the Shuffle), they have a Dock Connector. The new ones are just shipping with the USB cable only, no included FireWire cable. That's all.

I think people understand that. Well maybe not but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

I think people are just kind of annoyed that Apple has decided to give in to USB, even if it's in this small way of not including the firewire cable as standard equipment. When the iPod first came out, it was all about how firewire made it possible - charging, fast syncing lots of music. Firewire was an Apple technology, so it was another way for Apple to be a superior, innovating company. Now they seem to have tacitly admitted that USB 2.0 has won, at least in the PC world, over firewire.

But it shouldn't be forgotten that, although Apple didn't invent USB, it may have died without Apple and the iMac.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    So Apple's position is pay extra if you own an older Mac. Typical.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

So Apple's position is pay extra if you own an older Mac. Typical.

yeah, those bastards! why don't they offer an iPodSCSI version, too???

(sorry, couldn't resist...)
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by spud

Seems like this will be a boon to professional digital photographers (photojournalists, wedding photographers, etc.). One of these could, first, get rid of the piles of flashmedia they tend to carry around, and furthermore, allow them to see the photos they've taken earlier in the day without reloading them onto their camera.

Other than pro photographers, though, I don't see the point of the ipod photo...

No, this is aimed at consumers.

Pro photographers usually can't be stood around waiting for photos to download to an iPod. They usually have a stack of non-hard disk based flash cards and they'll switch them out and continue shooting only to offload the images off the cards later when they have time. They use non-hard disk based cards as the microdrives are too fragile and they can't afford to lose photos.

Could you imagine a wedding photographer asking guests to wait for the ipod to transfer the photos? Or the crap they'd be in if they dropped the camera and screwed up the hard disk. Or some paparazzi asking a celeb to hold that embarrassing shot, my iPod still says downloading?

On the other hand, it is useful for a Pro to offload their images to an iPod when they have the time or if they are away on a longer trip. But that's exactly when I'd use it as a non-pro too. On my last week away I took 300+ photos, because you can when it's digital. If I'd not taken a laptop with me then I'd have needed 10-15 128MB cards instead of 1.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

No, this is aimed at consumers.

Pro photographers usually can't be stood around waiting for photos to download to an iPod. They usually have a stack of non-hard disk based flash cards and they'll switch them out and continue shooting only to offload the images off the cards later when they have time. They use non-hard disk based cards as the microdrives are too fragile and they can't afford to lose photos.

Could you imagine a wedding photographer asking guests to wait for the ipod to transfer the photos? Or the crap they'd be in if they dropped the camera and screwed up the hard disk. Or some paparazzi asking a celeb to hold that embarrassing shot, my iPod still says downloading?

On the other hand, it is useful for a Pro to offload their images to an iPod when they have the time or if they are away on a longer trip. But that's exactly when I'd use it as a non-pro too. On my last week away I took 300+ photos, because you can when it's digital. If I'd not taken a laptop with me then I'd have needed 10-15 128MB cards instead of 1.

my camera is temperamental and so I bought a belkin card reader an backed my photos last year on holiday. This meant when my camera said i had no photos i just put it into my belkin (where it found them!) and copied to the iPod. Then reformatted the disk and took more photos. I took hundreds with this new freedom.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Bleh, not too happy about the USB cable thing. If I choose to buy an iPod photo in the future, I will also have to purchase an additional cable. My mac only has usb 1 (rev 1 17" Powerbook). I wonder if this could just add a bit of confusion instead of help... Many PC users I know that have purchased an iPod realized that they needed a firewire connector, so they simply purchased a pci card alongside the iPod. Maybe it will help sales, but I am not convinced...

The iPod hasn't required a firewire card for a long time. They did require a USB cable, if you didn't have a firewire card, though. But the 4G included both cables and was platform agnostic, and the 3G it was an extra (I believe, I don't recall having a USB cable, but it might still be in the box), but the iPod was platform agnostic. The thing is, people, that Apple sells much more of these things to the PC world then the Mac world, so why should a good hunk of the iPod users be forced to buy extra hardware? Isn't that the kind of attitude that causes people to say they're elitists ("We're going to charge you more because you don't own a mac. Ha!").

So, basically, Apple's cutting prices by removing the extras, allowing you to pick and choose which extras you want. I have a dock but have barely used it in the last year. The same goes for the power adapter sitting around somewhere (where is that, anyway).

I know, you're all just pissed because the bluetooth is missing, plus Apple's not speaking the 'truth' and marketing this not as a price drop but "We've broken up the pricing so you can pick and choose your accessories, but once your done, the price will be the same. Apple ignited the computer...."
  • Reply 29 of 66
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yeah, those bastards! why don't they offer an iPodSCSI version, too???

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

Screw that! I want one that'll connect via my 128K's floppy drive port. I've got it running 10.2.7 (10.2.8 was flaky on this thing), and iTunes 4.7.1 (the visualizer looks really cool on the 8" screen). I just can't seem to get the iPod to connect right.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    This update seems designed to make sure that no one else gains any sort of traction in the market. How is that a bad thing? It protects the eco-system that makes the iPod great.

Nice price moves, when are we going to see a cheaper iMac?
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

This update seems designed to make sure that no one else gains any sort of traction in the market. How is that a bad thing? It protects the eco-system that makes the iPod great.

Nice price moves, when are we going to see a cheaper iMac?

colour screen would've been nice though. I didn't see the point of bluetooth
  • Reply 32 of 66
    BT will be useful for three things:

1) Car hookup, but that'll require a car link of some sort

2) Wireless earphones, would be sweet

3) Syncing, but would be tragically slow - maybe for iSync-ish data only
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

3) Syncing, but would be tragically slow - maybe for iSync-ish data only

exactly. and wouldnt xml-ish data like ratings and playcounts sync easily?
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

exactly. and wouldnt xml-ish data like ratings and playcounts sync easily?

One would think.

I was thinking AddressBook/Notes/etc, but that would be a likely candidate as well.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    I think the (continued) move to USB 2 is dissapointing.

My 3rdG ipod wont charge over USB, so if I forget my cable at work and need a quick charge all I can borrow are USB cables - I then get the "but you can go and buy an extra firewire cable" from my windoze workmates

um, HELLO? why should those of us with apples be forced to explain or apologise, or justify our situation?? PC users should be forced into buying extra cables or cards!!

makes me mad :/
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

I think the (continued) move to USB 2 is dissapointing.

My 3rdG ipod wont charge over USB, so if I forget my cable at work and need a quick charge all I can borrow are USB cables - I then get the "but you can go and buy an extra firewire cable" from my windoze workmates

um, HELLO? why should those of us with apples be forced to explain or apologise, or justify our situation?? PC users should be forced into buying extra cables or cards!!

makes me mad :/

Apple do what makes money. Originally it was FireWire. Then they decided PC users couldn't connect so made it USB and FireWire but extra cable. They then shipped both USb and FireWire (my iPod photo) NOW all macs have had USB 2.0 for a couple of years, all PCs ship with USB 2. They want the iPod to be plug and play for as many people as possible so they use the common format USB 2.0. FireWire is better, i wish they supported firewire 800 cos then that would take off. I prefer to use FireWire cos I can have lots of devices plugged into firewire with no need for hubs. Look how cheap the iPods are, I'm sure you can afford a wire!!
  • Reply 37 of 66
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Bluetooth would be nice because then I could stream my iPod to airtunes and carry the iPod around the house with me, instead of having to keep it linked to a base. The iPod would in essence be the remote control, a really nice, easy to sort through and organize remote control. It's all about getting rid of wires!
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Er, no.

AirTunes/AirPort Express is over WiFi, not BT. And Bluetooth has a 10-15' range, that's it. Not much wandering possible there.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Man, this update really pisses me off. I've owned an iPod since the first generation, but I do not understand this move at all. Not including firewire means I have to pay extra to use the iPod with my Mac, since they don't have USB2 Ports. The price cuts are an illusion since they simply made up the cost by not including a dock and firewire connectors.

And mostly, I just don't understand the iPod photo. In the normal iPod, they had a great selling products, but the Photo has underperformed since they introduced it. Mostly because no one really want's to look a photos on a little midget screen.

So what does Apple do? Drop the successful product and produce more models of the bomb. Yeah, that'll work. Oh, yeah, and then eliminate a differentiator by dropping firewire. What's next, the iPod 5G only supports WMA?

It's been a long time since Apple annoyed me this much. I guess I'll have to grab a 40 off the discount site before they're gone, and hope it lasts.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Yeah, yeah, that's what I meant. Airport, not Bluetooth. Oops