Bluetooth 2.0

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    It is weird because on some surfaces it doesn't skip. But on my wood finish desk it skips like crazy. I have to use a mouse pad, which defeats the purpose for have an optical mouse.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

I got an MX1000 and like the mouse, but the software sucked. The mouse has continued to skip (on a mouse rug) and be a PITA. Logitech has a new receiver/base on the way to see if that cures the problem. I suppose that I will have to try their software again after installing the new receiver to see if it was a hardware problem rather than just a software problem.

My $20 Kensington with a cord performs much better on any objective scale, but I still like the darn thing.

Logitech's customer service is not very good and they do not test their software in any meaningful way. According to CS today the last version of OS X that they tested the thing on was 10.3.5. Sheesh! By the way, the sideways scrolling simply does not work with their software for the Mac.

I am presently using USB Overdrive and hope that the developer will be able to devote time to update it sometime soon to cover all of the options that are available with the MX1000.

Makes me want to get the wired version. But damn I do love wireless.

Personally, I've found that all mice drivers suck. The speed or acceleration is usually out of whack and I far prefer the "feel" of Apple's native drivers.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Makes me want to get the wired version. But damn I do love wireless.

Personally, I've found that all mice drivers suck. The speed or acceleration is usually out of whack and I far prefer the "feel" of Apple's native drivers.

I would have to say "don't buy Logitech". They have a really, really defective attitude. The hardware itself is, well, probably part of the problem.

My "$20 mouse" is a Kensington Optical Elite. The truth is I bought it because it did not cost a whole lot, but it has been a reliable mouse. It does not skip around whether I am using the Kensington software, USB Overdrive or even just the OS X drivers. It has a right and left button with scroll wheel and an additional pair of buttons that I use for forward and back in the browser, although they can be configured for most anything.

One of the good things about third party drivers is that the acceleration can be adjusted to be faster than Apple's, which I find too slow. I just do not like having to pick the mouse up all the time. Some allow you to set the acceleration for one speed when you move the mouse quickly and another (typically slower) rate for when you move the mouse slowly. (Hello Steve! This really works.)
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Ya'll have no idea how many mice I have bought trying to get the perfect mouse....Why can't some one buiild the perfect mouse??????
  • Reply 25 of 37
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

Ya'll have no idea how many mice I have bought trying to get the perfect mouse....Why can't some one buiild the perfect mouse??????

which ones best?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Consider an optical trackball - much more accurate than any mouse. I'm left-handed so I can only consider a few types. For my laptop I have a really tiny optical corded mouse made by MacAlly. It works fine.

Why is a driver needed at all? It's just a pointing device...

As for Bluetooth 2.0, I thought the key benefit of 2.0 was improved bandwidth, specifically for full stereo audio. For example, we should see cordless headphones for the new PBs. I wouldn't expect mice need the 2.0 bandwidth.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Consider an optical trackball - much more accurate than any mouse. I'm left-handed so I can only consider a few types. For my laptop I have a really tiny optical corded mouse made by MacAlly. It works fine.

Why is a driver needed at all? It's just a pointing device...

As for Bluetooth 2.0, I thought the key benefit of 2.0 was improved bandwidth, specifically for full stereo audio. For example, we should see cordless headphones for the new PBs. I wouldn't expect mice need the 2.0 bandwidth.

it also uses less power, the important thing is that the older bluetooth devices make the overall speed slower, like 802.11b. You need to upgrade everything to get the speed benefit.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    OK...so is Apple going to make a BT 2.0 upgraded mouse?
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

OK...so is Apple going to make a BT 2.0 upgraded mouse?

next hardware update they'll make all computers Bluetooth 2.0. As it's backward compatible they'll make their mouse Bluetooth 2 as well (I assume).
  • Reply 30 of 37
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Didn't Apple just release the Mac mini, and it comes with Bluetooth 1, not 2?

In which case, it seems unlikely they are going to make any Bluetooth 2 mouse in the near future...
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by curmi

In which case, it seems unlikely they are going to make any Bluetooth 2 mouse in the near future...

But it's backwards compatible...
  • Reply 32 of 37
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    But surely if Apple were going to create peripherals that had a much better user experience with Bluetooth 2, they'd be keen on making everything Bluetooth 2. Yet they've just release an entire new line of computer with Bluetooth 1.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Apple keeps us guessing....
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by curmi

But surely if Apple were going to create peripherals that had a much better user experience with Bluetooth 2, they'd be keen on making everything Bluetooth 2. Yet they've just release an entire new line of computer with Bluetooth 1.

From the way I see it, PowerBooks are Pro user computers. BT2 will go to the PowerMac, then filter down to the iMac G5 and the Mac mini. It's only a small module, so wouldn't be too much of a change, but I'd be willing to bet it's more expensive than the first BT adaptor...

At least if they made their mouse into a BT2 device, it would keep everyone happy. Especially now they have dropped the price of the current one. Leaves room for that old price point to be filled with a BT2 device.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

From the way I see it, PowerBooks are Pro user computers. BT2 will go to the PowerMac, then filter down to the iMac G5 and the Mac mini. It's only a small module, so wouldn't be too much of a change, but I'd be willing to bet it's more expensive than the first BT adaptor...

At least if they made their mouse into a BT2 device, it would keep everyone happy. Especially now they have dropped the price of the current one. Leaves room for that old price point to be filled with a BT2 device.

They could not announce a new Mac mini as the first computer to have Bluetooth 2. Bluetooth 2 is not available in any devices yet, just like USB when Apple put it in the original iMacs. If Apple had BT2 in the mac mini all the other Mac customers would be pissed. BT2 will be put in the other computers (yes it is more expensive) when they are upgraded. As all other computers BT is extra the PowerBooks needed to be updated first.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

They could not announce a new Mac mini as the first computer to have Bluetooth 2. Bluetooth 2 is not available in any devices yet, just like USB when Apple put it in the original iMacs. If Apple had BT2 in the mac mini all the other Mac customers would be pissed. BT2 will be put in the other computers (yes it is more expensive) when they are upgraded. As all other computers BT is extra the PowerBooks needed to be updated first.

That was my point
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

That was my point

I was re-inforcing it.