Help does not work in OSX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,



whenever I try to load Help from the help menu (in any program), virtually nothing happens. There is only a tiny disturbance of the icons in the dock as if another icon is about to appear - then nothing.



I have seen instructions about trashing preference files and things, but all but one of the preferences was not on my system! (I cannot remember which one as I have trashed it now!).



Any help would be gratefully received. I think it might have happened when I updated my OS at some point.



Thanks!



Mr Skills

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr Skills

    Hello,



    whenever I try to load Help from the help menu (in any program), virtually nothing happens. There is only a tiny disturbance of the icons in the dock as if another icon is about to appear - then nothing.



    I have seen instructions about trashing preference files and things, but all but one of the preferences was not on my system! (I cannot remember which one as I have trashed it now!).



    Any help would be gratefully received. I think it might have happened when I updated my OS at some point.



    Thanks!



    Mr Skills




    I've had this problem. Perform a permissions repair after trash the file in "Your area">Library>Preferences>com.apple.help.plist Is there anything you wanted in help because I could probably help with that as well! If the above doesn't work there are other options.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    No joy I'm afraid! I think I might actually be missing some files, as most of the preferences you are meant to delete were not actually there in the first place... maybe something happened when upgrading to 10.3.7 or 10.3.8 from Software Update.



    It's actually on my parents' computer - a working help file might actually save me a few phone calls!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    I've just tested this under a different username and the same problem is still there, so it does not appear to be a Preferences thing...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr Skills

    I've just tested this under a different username and the same problem is still there, so it does not appear to be a Preferences thing...



    try a combo updater to 10.3.8 that will restore and files. Which files do you think you need cos I could send you one. Was that why you were winking?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,064member
    Help in the Finder does some Internet access stuff.

    You behind a proxy server?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Downloading and installing the combo update worked! Thanks for your help, everyone



    Mr Skills





    PS - MacCrazy: I never wink!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr Skills

    Downloading and installing the combo update worked! Thanks for your help, everyone



    Mr Skills





    PS - MacCrazy: I never wink!




    glad the combo worked. I never wink either.
Sign In or Register to comment.