newbie here.. help ..I just converted

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well im not in the matrix anymore... someone please advise on how to maximize the browser window. Please before I throw this sh!t in the trash

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Well, first of, start by drinking a cold cup of water.



    Now, click on the Green button. You'll notice that it does not maximize like you would expect it in Windows. If you want it to cover the entire screen - minus The Dock - you can resize the window and then it will remember the window size so the next time you click the green button - it will maximize to the size of your choice.



    Good luck with your purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Just to go a bit further: proper Macintosh applications don't hog the entire screen, it is considered bad form. This is just a difference of opinion between the Macintosh and Windows ways of thinking. After a little while you will get used to it. Personally I use both platforms, and prefer the macintosh way of thinking... but it is all personal opinion.



    The closest thing that MacOS X (and MacOS 9) has is the little green button on the top of most windows, this is the "best fit" button and tries to make the window fit the size of the contents. Sometimes this makes the window bigger, sometimes smaller, and it is up to the program to figure out what is best. The idea is that there should not be scroll bars or extra space if at all possible.



    Just spend some time getting to know the OS as it is, rather than try to make it fit your preconceptions.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    nyguynyguy Posts: 19member
    things are looking up. I figured a few things out. My notebook is a looker. Is it possible to transfer info from my PC to the G4? Im thinking not since they use different platforms
  • Reply 4 of 16
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    If you are talking about standard files such as .doc, .xls, and .pdf etc then yes.



    If you are talking about .exe then no.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    nyguynyguy Posts: 19member
    well thank god I got the applecare. I might get frustrated and thow this thing into the wall.



    Well atleast its nice to be amongst a cool group of people.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NYguy

    well thank god I got the applecare. I might get frustrated and thow this thing into the wall.



    Well atleast its nice to be amongst a cool group of people.




    What's up with you and throwing stuff into walls? When you bought your first Windows computer, did you just press Power On and knew everything right away?



    The more you use it - the more you learn about it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    nyguynyguy Posts: 19member
    back then I was 15... 11 years ago
  • Reply 8 of 16
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Applecare does not cover the user throwing the laptop against the wall.



  • Reply 9 of 16
    nyguynyguy Posts: 19member
    Heck..than what good is the applecare.



    I also notice that i cant get to the bottom of a drop down menu. Before I get to my choice the menu disappears. It does this everytime on a certain page... Sucks
  • Reply 10 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NYguy

    Heck..than what good is the applecare.



    I also notice that i cant get to the bottom of a drop down menu. Before I get to my choice the menu disappears. It does this everytime on a certain page... Sucks




    you must be putting your mouse away from the menu. Try clicking and not letting go and then moving the cursor down to the arrow at the bottom of the list. Or try clicking once and then keeping the cursor within the menu.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You can also navigate pop-up menus in a browser window with the keyboard. Click once (with release), menu stays up. Start typing the item you're looking for. Like, say, "New York" in a state menu. You'll get there in a couple of keystrokes. Hit return, or click on the selection you want if it's visible, but not quite selected. (Sometimes a states menu will have North Carolina spelled out, sometimes 'NC' is what selects it. "No" or "NC" will get me either on it, or close, and I can click on it when I see it.)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    nyguynyguy Posts: 19member
    You folks are the best. But ha!... No workie my friend. But will try. I want to upgrade memory to 1gb. Will it make PC surf faster or pull up info any faster.



    Please excuse my ignorance.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NYguy

    You folks are the best. But ha!... No workie my friend. But will try. I want to upgrade memory to 1gb. Will it make PC surf faster or pull up info any faster.



    Please excuse my ignorance.




    1GB will make some things faster. What are you currently using RAM and hardware wise, what do you use the computer for?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 694member
    The Macintosh way is to throw your Powerbook out a window. Just be sure that I'm standing outside to catch it
  • Reply 15 of 16
    nyguynyguy Posts: 19member
    I have G4 1.67 512mb, 100gb, 17" 128mb . Its a stock unit. this is my first. I use it just to have a bigger notebook and for surfing. What I dont like is that I cant play MSN card games. Also the surfing seems to be at dial-up speeds at times. I currently use Dell Inspirion and Oqo model 01. Both are windows based. i was just curious to know if memory upgrade will speed things up



    here I took a pic for you with specs



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...C/000_0045.jpg



    here is one with G4 surfing



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...C/000_0043.jpg



    here is another along side OQO model 01



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...C/000_0042.jpg
  • Reply 16 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NYguy

    I have G4 1.67 512mb, 100gb, 17" 128mb . Its a stock unit. this is my first. I use it just to have a bigger notebook and for surfing. What I dont like is that I cant play MSN card games. Also the surfing seems to be at dial-up speeds at times. I currently use Dell Inspirion and Oqo model 01. Both are windows based. i was just curious to know if memory upgrade will speed things up



    here I took a pic for you with specs



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...C/000_0045.jpg



    here is one with G4 surfing



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...C/000_0043.jpg



    here is another along side OQO model 01



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...C/000_0042.jpg




    for your use 512MB is fine. I don't think you'll notice a big improvement in upgrading your RAM. Windows is slightly faster than Mac at the internet. I'm using a PC for the next two weeks while my Mac is replaced and I'm noticing that the typing is much more responsive. However, Windows takes ages to log in and open so it's a balance issue.
Sign In or Register to comment.