Canadian Apple resellers call its quits as Apple retail heads north

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i understand where the last 3 posts are coming from. in australia, there is a big increase in interest in Macs, and some dealers, big or small, just don't get it, and just can't deal with moving beyond some sort of "niche mac thing"...

in sydney i have experienced some decent big and small dealers, and some sh1t big and small dealers... hmm but apple is not really 'threatening' any retail presence yet....
  • Reply 22 of 22
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Went into FirstAvenue today. It is their last day open. Pretty sad. A few people came in who hadn't heard about the closing and they were pretty shocked.

They didn't have fantastic discounts, which I thought they would. They had some really interesting service parts available, and some iPod accessories, but not too much else. The only new computer they had was a 17" iMac G5 that a customer had cancelled. It was pretty loaded: gig of memory, Airport and BlueTooth, BT mouse and keyboard. Retail price was about $2350 Canadian and they were selling it for $2100. So not a tremendous discount, but worthwhile for someone. The weatherman from our local TV station was in with his wife and it looked like they would probably buy it. If no one took it, one of the owners was going to take it home.

On a positive note, the sales guy there, can't remember his name but he's been there forever, said that another Apple retailer would be opening in the area. He wouldn't give anymore details than that, but I got the impression some of the staff were contemplating opening their own store. Hopefully they pick a better location, because, as much as I liked FirstAve, they were out in the bush, right across the street from a farm...not the most convienient location for many.

I have a lot of good memories of FirstAve and am sorry to see them go. I always recommended friends go there. I helped an older couple buy their first computer, an original iMac, from FirstAve. And I took a friend who was off to university, and his dad up there a few years ago and they ended up walkig out with their first Mac-a top of the line G3 Powerbook. I don't feel as comfortable recommending friends to BestBuy or FutureShop. Many people who ask me for advice on computers feel lost in those big stores. There is a niche for a Mom and Pop Apple retailer. Hopefully the niche is large enough to support the new Apple retailer if/when they open.