"a new line in the sand"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
this is insanity.... I know that Apple sets the standard for design and innovation, but this is embarasing for a powerful company like Intel. How do they sleep at night!

Check out the intel mini!!!

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5133/

aaaaahhhhrrrrrgggggg!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'd say Apple sets the trends for design but I'm not too sure about innovation. I think Apple's drinking a little too much of their own koolaid there.

This ultra small computers are a natural progression for home computers.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    Mini computers aren't new concepts. Apple just made it popular.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    They still have to run a crappy OS.

Apple isn't just the hardware it is the entire package.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    were there small PC's before the cube???
  • Reply 5 of 50
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

were there small PC's before the cube???

So, now, it resembles the Cube?
  • Reply 6 of 50
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Don't feel bad, it has the exact same bezel as the Macintosh LC, from 10 years ago, even looks like it has the same floppy drive slot. Only 10 years behind! And a prototype at that. Usually prototypes are more advanced than existing technology.

Quote:

this is insanity.... I know that Apple sets the standard for design and innovation, but this is embarasing for a powerful company like Intel. How do they sleep at night!

Check out the intel mini!!!

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5133/

aaaaahhhhrrrrrgggggg!

• Reply 7 of 50
    These intel guys are SO original.

A really small computer. Who would've thunk it!
  • Reply 8 of 50
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    How pathetic can you be?
  • Reply 9 of 50
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    After looking at the picture:

And reading the article:

"Intel on Wednesday showed off its living room PC of the future--and it looks a lot like the Mac Mini. [my bold] As part of a speech at the Intel Developer Forum here, Vice President Don MacDonald demonstrated several concept PCs, including the Sleek Concept Entertainment PC--a square, metallic-colored device that was immediately reminiscent of the desktop computer Apple Computer introduced earlier this year," Ina Fried reports for CNET News.

I have concluded that by producing such a blatant rip-off of Apple's Mac mini design, for a product concept labeled "living room PC of the future" Intel is only confirming and validating that the Mac mini will be that living room PC of the future, and the future is here now.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Everyone can see its a copy but really folks all apple did for the most part is yank out the innards of Emac and throw it in a box. No Magic,No innovation, they simply did it and they could have done this same thing years ago but they were stuck in their#@*!# Powermac vs All in ones garbage philosophy. MacMini isnt anything special but will do most jobs as long as your not a gamer. Yes i own a Mini by the way but am typing this on my Powermac. why? Mini 32mb ati kiddie graphics just dont cut it for me.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    I'd like to know Aurora, how your Powermac is any better for posting on this forum than your Mac mini.

For 90% of home users the Mac mini offers all the power they will likely ever need for the tasks they perform.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Five words

"Intels mac mini concept pc"

Apple has once again managed to create a consumer benchmark.

all new mp3 players relaese regardless of the manufacturer always get billed as "xxxxx's answer to the iPod"

Hopefully this is what we will see with every small computer released.

j.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    my question about the cube is not if the new systems resemble the old cube, but if I remember correctly, the small form factor of the cube was a first, noone was making little PC's back then as far as I know.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I think the Shuttles are small enough. Pretty sure the Shuttle came before the Cube.

I had a Cube, and it would've made a fine living-room computer if it were less expensive and had a slot on the front instead of the top.

The Mac Mini is not supposed to replace a PowerMac. The Mini's graphics and processor are more than adequate for a living room PC, and for most casual computer users, it's enough for the things they do -- but, as for me, I sure wouldn't want to be stuck with one as my only computer.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'd say Apple sets the trends for design but I'm not too sure about innovation. I think Apple's drinking a little too much of their own koolaid there.

This ultra small computers are a natural progression for home computers.

This is sort of a yes and no. Apple tends to have the corporate balls to implement brand new technology that the rest of the industry isn't willing to experiment with quite so early in the game. (USB, WiFi, etc) However, I think the last technology Apple actually produced internally was Firewire, which happened a long time ago. As far as Software technology, it's clear that with OS X they borrowed the best ideas from the last 20 years and implemented them, quite like they have done with hardware. I guess Quicktime is the only big, internal development of their's.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

my question about the cube is not if the new systems resemble the old cube, but if I remember correctly, the small form factor of the cube was a first, noone was making little PC's back then as far as I know.

Actually Steve Job's old company NeXT computer had a cube first.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    There's no question Apple is copied, but they just weren't the first with a Mini-like system. Intel doesn't make PCs. It's a "concept," afterall... a weak one though, considering the form factor has been used for at least 2.5 years.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    It doesn't matter who came up first with what. It's interesting to see how Apple is still a trend-setter year in and year out. That's the importance of the intel-mini. It validates Apple as the spearhead of the industry.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Over at SlashDot JoeWalsh had this revision posted:

Quote:

Corrected article follows:

Intel Flaunts Empty Plastic Case

In a stunning show of shamelessness in the face of a total lack of innovation, Intel today unveiled to a gaggle of gullible corporate lackeys and ass-kissing note-takers their newest product: an empty plastic box. An Intel spokesperson said they hope that some day, someone will build a computer to put in the box. At that point, they hope to load it down with the deeply flawed and customer-hostile Microsoft Windows operating system, thereby releasing misery from the confines of dens and offices and into family rooms worldwide.

• Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

Mini computers aren't new concepts. Apple just made it popular.

Making them small, yeah, but how about making them small and sexy? This article kind of proves the point as the mini-cases there are ugly. They are nothing more than shrunken versions of big and ugly cases.