CNet: Apple has Intel inside--sort of

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    shaoshao Posts: 39member
    "I dare you to try to go to HP and get a dual cpu server, with the 1-u formfactor, oh and if you do that, you also must remember a n OS"

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

..I dare you to try to go to HP and get a dual cpu server, with the 1-u formfactor, oh and if you do that, you also must remember a n OS

okay.. i take you up on your dare. lets compare prices.

? hp dl360

? 2 * 2.8ghz xeon processors

? 2gb memory (2x1gb)

? dual port, teamable gigabit NICs, onboard

? 2 * 72gb scsi 15krpm

raided with inbuilt raid

= sub total = £2,800 (approx)

+ MS windows 2003 server = £ 343 (select price)

+ hp annual support = £ 100 (approx)

(hardware, 3hour onsite fix)

= total = £3,243

xserve (pasted from apple store website)

? Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5

? 2GB DDR400 ECC SDRAM - 4x512MB

? 80GB ADM (1x80GB Serial ATA)

? Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X Card - (lower slot)

? Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X Card - (upper slot)

? Mac OS X Server v10.3 (unlimited)

? Mac OS X Server Maintenance 36 Month Unlimited Client (1-9 Servers)

? AppleCare Service Parts Kit for Xserve G5

? AppleCare Premium Service and Support Plan for Xserve

total = £4,728.19

i could knock a 350quid off there if i chose not to use windows. can the same be said for xserve? :-)

I'm not sure where the unlimited client licenses comes from. a windows server will allow windows clients from the same generation as the server to connect with the Client access license (CAL) which comes with the client OS without the need for purchasing a separate one (ie win2k server-win2k pro. or w2k3 server-winXP pro). This is only the case for certain services which you might want to run on the server, eg, terminal services. other services such as serving web pages, file sharing, etc all do not require CALs afaik.

all business pc's available from major vendors in the last several years will come with win2k pro or winXP pro as an oem license as standard (in much the same way when you buy a mac it comes with a client license.) no other licenes are required unless you start getting in to the realms of SQL / Oracle / Citrix / etc
  • Reply 22 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

[i]{snipe}

+ [/B]

How many client licenses come with that? here is what I came up with,

-Configurable-

ProLiant DL360 G4 Intel® Xeon? 3.00/3.40/3.60GHz Processor, SATA - Rack Model

ProLiant DL360 G4 Intel® Xeon? Processor - Rack Model

Intel® Xeon? Processor 3.00GHz/1MB

Intel® Xeon? Processor 3.00GHz/1MB

2GB Base Memory (4x512)

Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Enterprise Edition + 25 CALs (not installed)

Two 1" SATA drive bays

Embedded SATA controller (non-RAID)

PCI-X Riser - 2 PCI-X Slots (One Full Length and One Half Length)

HP 80GB SATA 1.5Gb 7,200 rpm 1" hard drive

NC7782 PCI-X Gigabit NICs (embedded) 10/100/1000 WOL

HP NC7771 PCI-X Gigabit Server Adapter

Slim Line CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24X Combo Drive Option Kit

SmartStart & Insight Manager

Integrated Lights-Out Management - standard

Warranty - 3 year next business day onsite

$6,782.00

? Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5

? 2GB DDR400 ECC SDRAM - 4x512

? Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

? Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X card - (lower slot)

? Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X card (upper slot)

? Mac OS X Server, Unlimited License

? AppleCare Premium Service and Support for Xserve

No video card

Estimated Ship:

3-5 business days

Free Shipping

Subtotal $6,648.00

also, the Mac has unlimited CALs, windows limits that to 25
  • Reply 23 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shao

"I dare you to try to go to HP and get a dual cpu server, with the 1-u formfactor, oh and if you do that, you also must remember a n OS"

okay.. i take you up on your dare. lets compare prices.

? hp dl360

? 2 * 2.8ghz xeon processors

? 2gb memory (2x1gb)

? dual port, teamable gigabit NICs, onboard

? 2 * 72gb scsi 15krpm

raided with inbuilt raid

= sub total = £2,800 (approx)

+ hp annual support = £ 100 (approx)

(hardware, 3hour onsite fix)

= total = £3,243

xserve (pasted from apple store website)

? Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5

? Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X Card - (lower slot)

? Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X Card - (upper slot)

? Mac OS X Server Maintenance 36 Month Unlimited Client (1-9 Servers)

total = £4,728.19

i could knock a 350quid off there if i chose not to use windows. can the same be said for xserve? :-)

Why is Mac OS X Server Maintenance there? I don't see a similar maintenance license for Windows in your list, and dump the Service Parts Kit as you don't buy service parts in the HP example.

Furthermore your Xserve will have 4 gigabit Ethernet ports since it has two built-in ports.

New config:

? Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5

? Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)

Price: £3,266.38
  • Reply 24 of 26
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Huh, why are you guys comparing 1U's? Anyway my 2 cents, Apples Xservers are great but I don't think I would buy any for my server farm. HP's warranty and onsite service is way more advanced and practical then Apples. Even though HP''s warranty says next day, 8 out of 10 times their there that day, with the parts, and their quick. No sending shitt to Apple with three day turn around, no onsite here in Zug Switzerland .
  • Reply 25 of 26
    shaoshao Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

[B]Why is Mac OS X Server Maintenance there? I don't see a similar maintenance license for Windows in your list, and dump the Service Parts Kit as you don't buy service parts in the HP example.

it's there because our server support contract with hp (which is a corporate support contract covering practically all our hardware (laptops/pc's/printers/servers)), which covers replacement parts, replacement faulty servers, AND has a 4 hour response time is only £100 per year (per server), and that's on top of the usual great support that hp provides. I thought it was worth mentioning compared to the overly expensive apple support (if you want something decent from them)

if you want to get bitty, it may be worth mentioning the lack of

a) scsi disks - ie, you get sata disks, which are still unproven in the enterprise sector, and tend to be placed in to non-critical systems on the 'cheap'. not too sure about differences speed wise, but when compared to..

b) raid. no fault tolerance, less speed, yada yada. This coupled with apple's not so great support seems to me like a very very bad idea

c) couldn't find any mention of the xserve coming with dual nics, was why i included the two gigabit nics. my bad. can they be teamed / load balanced out of the box?

apple's server offerings definately look a lot more attractive than they did a year or so ago, but i think they have a bit more work to get up to the level of understanding of the enterprise environment that the likes of hp do.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shao

it's there because our server support contract with hp (which is a corporate support contract covering practically all our hardware (laptops/pc's/printers/servers)), which covers replacement parts, replacement faulty servers, AND has a 4 hour response time is only £100 per year (per server), and that's on top of the usual great support that hp provides. I thought it was worth mentioning compared to the overly expensive apple support (if you want something decent from them)

Mac OS X Server Maintenance is OS updates for three years - it has nothing to do with the hardware.