Why Apple still sells original iMac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    where can i get a slot-loading superdrive for one?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Hopefully once the iMac CRT disappears (if it ever does...) then the eMac will take over the $799 price point. Apple needs to have at least one computer down there in price, and the eMac fits the bill fine. Something like eMacs at $799 and $999 with the iMac at $1199, $1399 and $1699. That would be cool.

I'm a newbie here, but I've been keeping a real close eye on Apple's prices and specs for about a year. In addition to the iMac CRT being discontinued--(600 MHz is a dinosaur)--I would also like to see the eMac 700 MHz discontinued and just have the two 800 MHz models, one

configured with Combo Drive for $699, and the other one maxed out with RAM, HD size, iApps, and SuperDrive for $999. These price points would make it easier for people to buy a Mac with G4.

Not everyone likes the style of the iMac LCD, if that were the case, more of them would have been sold.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    How about putting a red and white target shell on the G3 iMac and selling them at Target for $499? I bet they wouldn't have any trouble selling them...

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Nedrick ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 25
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I am running a IMac G3 500 and love running OSX on it. I don't know why some on this thread are suggesting that it is only (and only barely) sufficient for OS9. Not true!

My only real problem is when I run MS Office for OS X. But my problem with Office is not, I believe, related to the processor, but with the MS Software. I understand that even people running much faster machines have the same problems with MS Office.

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Chinney ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 25
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Why Apple still sells original iMac?

Two words. Education, business.

Trust me, those are the only sales of new iMac G3s.

To be discontinued July 2003. May or may not be replaced with gMac (generic), MacPC, whatever.

Barto