New iSight to pack audio improvements?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A revision to Apple Computer's iSight web cam will deliver improvements to its noise suppressing microphone, tipsters claim. The update version, which has already begun to make its way to Apple stores and authorized resellers, is referenced by manufacturers part number M8817LL/C. It's unclear precisely what improvements were made to the cam's hardware and software, but the changes should correct problems where the microphone would randomly fail to respond. This is just the second revision to Apple's iSight since it was introduced nearly two years ago. Owners of the two previous versions had complained about the microphone's inconsistent behavior, where the only known fix was to unplug and then re-plug in the iSight to regain audio functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Interesting... I always played with the tought of buying one, but the price tag keeps me from doing so :3
  • Reply 2 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I am waiting until they get the frame rate up. Can't stand the 30 fps frame rate. When they get it to 60fps and above than I am in.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I'm not buying one until they upgrade it to a G5 processor. I'm thinking that if they clock a G5 down to, oh, 'bout 52MHz they should be able to control the heat issue with some kind of passive air cooling system. Though Apple may want to consider using a Cell processor. This is exactly the kind of digital hub-type device that the Cell would be perfect in. Anyways, I'm not buying 'til the next revision, which I bet they'll anounce at MWSF '06. They say that it'll begin shipping in March, but due to manufacturing problems at the Fishkill foundry, will be delayed at least four weeks. I'm switchin' to Windows!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    The iSight is the reason my iPod would take forever to upload new songs. Once I unplugged it, song uploading was snappy again.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I am waiting until they get the frame rate up. Can't stand the 30 fps frame rate. When they get it to 60fps and above than I am in.

???

Since the threshold of human vision is right in that 30fps range... why?

(Note: this applies to about 97% of the population. 1.5% can perceive up to about 42-45fps, 1.5% top out at about 22.)

No user study that I've ever run across has supported the assertion that faster frame rates above ~30fps are even *perceptible* to any but a tiny segment of the population. Maybe you're in that though. *shrug*

The 60fps myth came about from dual scan systems that interleaved 1/2 frames. 60fps * .5f = 30fps.

Now *refresh* rate can matter quite a bit below around 70Hz, but that's not fps.

When you get into things like gaming, it turns out that the high fps rates are due to two things:

1) If you don't get the framerate matched precisely with the refresh rate of the display, you can end up with a bit of perceptible choppiness below some fps level. You have to jack up the fps to compensate, since analog displays have issues with syncing to what the GPU is generating. (No, not what the sync signal is on the input, but the actual generated fps.) CRTs have the most problem with this, but the phosphor fade-out time blurs the images enough that it ends up being about the same effect as an LCD with digital input, where the sync is *very* good, but the extremely fast 'off' of the pixels means that any artifacts *will* be visible. Guess what the magic number is for absolutely minimizing this? 60fps. But we *perceive* it as 30fps because the other factors are reducing the effectiveness. In a *perfect* setup, 30fps is the magic number.

A 'perfect' setup would have the image generation (or capture), video signal, and display all meshed in sync. Well, that's what you have in the iSight, DVI and digital display. (Laptops get this for free.) Sweet, eh?

2) Placebo. Yup, it's all in their heads. It's a bragging right, like what the top speed is of your hot rod (that you actually never get up to, and does you zero good 99.99% of the time.) That's all.

A 60fps iSight wouldn't do anything above doubling the data that the CPU would have to deal with. Yeah, you could probably get into some neat tricks with effects that way to play with perceptual artifacts, but as a practical matter? Naw, not going to help.

Put it this way: can you watch TV without seeing a constant flicker? Then you're smack in the middle of the bell curve, and 30fps is all you're *ever* going to be able to detect.

I say buy the sucker.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    60fps is useless unless

1. As Kickaha states, you're talking about interleaved video.

2. You're talking games which vary the fps depending on load.

If the iSight does 30fps constant then I say buy it TednDi. There's no need to go any higher.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Consider that standard TV frame rates are 30 fps (NTSC) and 25 fps (PAL/SECAM), and that the standard motion picture film frame rate is only 24 fps.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I need to call Apple and ask them why my iSight video stops recording when I'm recording in iMovie. The audio keeps going tho. The only way I can fix it is to unplug and plug it back in.

By the way, the frame rate is amazing, but I CAN tell when it gets slow sometimes. But then again I do have really good sight.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Any idea when the next revision will be available?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Hi

Just bought the M8817DD/8 a week ago, just feel I have been abused

I know now why there was a special offer at 149 Euro.

The people from the shop did not told me why !

Shame on this French shop " LA FNAC "

Best

Cyril
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Cyril, iSight est passée depuis longtemps de 169 Â? Ã* 149 Â?, depuis l'été 2004... Ce n'était pas une promotion Fnac !
  • Reply 12 of 20
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Now, for everyone else:

"Cyril, iSoght went down to 149.- a LONG time ago, since spring 2004 - that wasn´t a special offer from FNAC."

(Hint: Please use english :3)
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Sorry Denmaru, I used English before and still will use it on these boards but... couldn't resist on this one
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am

By the way, the frame rate is amazing, but I CAN tell when it gets slow sometimes. But then again I do have really good sight.

Yup, sometimes I can see it too, but since it's 'sometimes', and it is actually visible, it's not the camera suddenly slowing down, it's the host computer getting bogged down with a busy CPU. Again, something that a higher frame rate iSight isn't going to help.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    zac4maczac4mac Posts: 37member
    maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age. I thought tedndi was being sarcastic, like the gamer lamers wanting 160fps...

The best thing Apple could do IMO, is give us control of the iSight; Focus(#1), light sensitivity, color balance, etc.

I got one when they came out, then got one for my pop. Can't really say it's cost effective, but video chats are easier and cheaper than a thousand mile trip for a face-to-face. I'm hoping Tiger and H.264 make a big improvement in quality.

Z
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Before this diverges into a perceivable fps tantrum...

Let us acknowledge that we are talking about video frames per second, not 3d-rendered-scene frames per second.

Video includes motion blur while games do not. Hence, gamers can bennefit from higher frame rates while captured video is generally fine at much lower frame rates.

Given the response time of the sensors in the iSight, 30fps seems to work out nicely. My brain/eyes perceive it as perfectly fluid.

*whew*

EDIT: So I'm not insane, others have problems with the mic dissappearing too. For me, the problem only requires restarting iChat.

• Reply 17 of 20
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I might consider buying one if it could flip around on my laptop and record lectures.

With the availability of cell phone cameras being able to take video, I'm surprised the powerbooks don't include a little camera.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    It can. The mount is easily flipped around to face the other way. I do this quite often to show something, like the whiteboard, in my office to the person on the other end.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I might consider buying one if it could flip around on my laptop and record lectures.

With the availability of cell phone cameras being able to take video, I'm surprised the powerbooks don't include a little camera.

Ummm, you can, thats actually what I do. just use the mount backwards, it works perfectly.