Attention iMac G5 owners !

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I would but I don't play any of those games. I've played Diablo II and Q3:Arena as well as Nanosaur and have no problems with those games.

I don't game enough nowadays to make it worthwhile to buy a new game but if I did I think I'd pick up Call of Duty. But I'd probably get it for the XBox since it seems to be better at the game-playing thing than any Apple computer.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

Maybe we can get back to the topic. This is not for the ramblers or those with a tiny vocabulary.

Would anyone with an actual iMac G5 experience give us some info about playing games with it ?

Command and Conquere ?

Unreal 2004 ?

Rise of nations ?

Call of duty ?

Zon

But ramblings fun and I'm doing Hooked On Phonics to increase my vocabulary so bare with me during my learning process.

I don't have an iMac at home but I use a 20inch at work, that being said I've snuck a few games in to see how they perform. Games like, Rise Of Nations, Civ III, Command and Conquere work just fine. Unreal, like I said above can be played at 1024 X 768 at medium quality and you should expect 28 - 32 FPS. Wolfenstein and Quake III run great on my Powerbook 12 inch with everything turned on max flawlessy so I can imagine they'll perform better on the iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

But ramblings fun and I'm doing Hooked On Phonics to increase my vocabulary so bare with me during my learning process.

I understand Relic, but it get a bit tiresome when it seems like most of the postings is nonsense and forever ramblings. At least when you spend some time on different forums.

Anyway.....

I have just finished a game of "Rise of Nations" on my G4 powerbook. It is absolutely playable and a great deal of fun. I played through the Call of Duty demo and it is excellent. And Call of Duty is a modern game.

Maybe when the Doom3 demo is out, we can see how the iMac stacks up. Besides that particular game, I believe Apple have put in a decent videocard in the iMac.

Zon
  • Reply 24 of 52
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

?What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.?

A) I am both idiotic and insane at the same time.

B) There is no point in my rambling, just as their is no point in yours.

C) What is a rational thought. Define please.

D) Absoloutly anyone that bothers reading MY replies is dumb anywho, so what is the downside of them dropping a few more levels down on the IQ scale.

E) I never won points from you, I have no interest in being awarded any.

F) Dear lord, I hope god has mercy on my soul or I'm absoloughtly screwed.

G) I have now agreed with aboloughtly everything you

insulted me by. Have you anything else to helpfully share and allow my life to be further enriched, or shall i go and blow up a few more flood on Halo?

PS thankyou MagicFingers for defending me. Doesn't happen often, and i get grateful when it does.

Just to contribute, Rise of Nations runs on a Dell Inspiron something or other that is about two years old and wighs ton. It will run on an iMac.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

A) I am both idiotic and insane at the same time.

B) There is no point in my rambling, just as their is no point in yours.

C) What is a rational thought. Define please.

D) Absoloutly anyone that bothers reading MY replies is dumb anywho, so what is the downside of them dropping a few more levels down on the IQ scale.

E) I never won points from you, I have no interest in being awarded any.

F) Dear lord, I hope god has mercy on my soul or I'm absoloughtly screwed.

G) I have now agreed with aboloughtly everything you

insulted me by. Have you anything else to helpfully share and allow my life to be further enriched, or shall i go and blow up a few more flood on Halo?

PS thankyou MagicFingers for defending me. Doesn't happen often, and i get grateful when it does.

Just to contribute, Rise of Nations runs on a Dell Inspiron something or other that is about two years old and wighs ton. It will run on an iMac.

Psssst, hey you..... Adam Sandler, movie quote, Billy Madison, ring any bells? The post didn't need to be analyzed, it was just a silly rebuttal to your impulsive ?You guys are all nuts.? phrase. I was just showing I could post things without thought too, it was also meant to be complety void of any animosity towards you.

So as you took this seriously, ?Im sorry for making your day a not so sunny one?.

Relic
  • Reply 26 of 52
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Psssst, hey you..... Adam Sandler, movie quote, Billy Madison, ring any bells? The post didn't need to be analyzed, it was just a silly rebuttal to your impulsive ?You guys are all nuts.? phrase. I was just showing I could post things without thought too, it was also meant to be complety void of any animosity towards you.

So as you took this seriously, ?Im sorry for making your day a not so sunny one?.

Relic

Sorry, dont watch many movies. Must apologise, sarcasm doesn't come through very clearly once typed, i take nothing seriously, EVER. Serious is just no fun.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Hmmm ... maybe I can give you some help here...

I have an iMac G4, 1GB, 1GHz with NVIDIA GeForce 4MX 64 MB card. I've been able to run Halo and UT 2004 just fine. Usually, games won't let you overstep the bounds of the card. Like, in Halo ... I can play full screen wihout any snags but I lose high level textures and some particle effects. UT 2K4 runs the same way. The 5200 is a fine card, a boost from what I have. I haven't played around with Halo on UT on one yet so I couldn't tell you what to expect, but I'd bet if you're going to be a "casual gamer" it's not going to matter if you can't get ultra-high resolution particles and textures. The iMac wasn't intended to be a gaming computer, it just happens to work fine if you're a casual gamer though. My roommate has an XP Box with an ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB that runs Halo like a dream, but he also dropped $250 on the card. He does 3D graphics and such and his out-of-the-box card just couldn't handle it.

With an iMac, you also have to consider space and thermodynamic issues. Higher powered cards in smaller, more compact spaces create more heat and then you have to rethink your cooling system so you don't overheat everything. If you want the style and desk space, you're going to have to pass on the Radeon 9800 Pro and settle for the G5's 5200. Still an impressive card and will suit the casual gamer just fine. You're just going to have to sacrifice high-resolution. Halo was still fun and I got to see blood splatter on walls and things blow up and dust and all that stuff, so you won't lose the point of the game ... to actually play it and enjoy it.

Hope that gives you something to mull over....
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

Hmmm ... maybe I can give you some help here...

I have an iMac G4, 1GB, 1GHz with NVIDIA GeForce 4MX 64 MB card. I've been able to run Halo and UT 2004 just fine. Usually, games won't let you overstep the bounds of the card. Like, in Halo ... I can play full screen wihout any snags but I lose high level textures and some particle effects. UT 2K4 runs the same way. The 5200 is a fine card, a boost from what I have. I haven't played around with Halo on UT on one yet so I couldn't tell you what to expect, but I'd bet if you're going to be a "casual gamer" it's not going to matter if you can't get ultra-high resolution particles and textures. The iMac wasn't intended to be a gaming computer, it just happens to work fine if you're a casual gamer though.

With an iMac, you also have to consider space and thermodynamic issues. Higher powered cards in smaller, more compact spaces create more heat and then you have to rethink your cooling system so you don't overheat everything. If you want the style and desk space, you're going to have to pass on the Radeon 9800 Pro and settle for the G5's 5200. Still an impressive card and will suit the casual gamer just fine. You're just going to have to sacrifice high-resolution. Halo was still fun and I got to see blood splatter on walls and things blow up and dust and all that stuff, so you won't lose the point of the game ... to actually play it and enjoy it.

Hope that gives you something to mull over....

Excellent post. I agree completely. I believe the "inferno" of negativ posts that came out when the iMac G5 were released where wrong.

Zon
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

Excellent post. I agree completely. I believe the "inferno" of negativ posts that came out when the iMac G5 were released where wrong.

Zon

Well then there you have it, an agreement to except marginal hardware for a not so inexpensive computer. Wow, no complaints, not a one, full content all around, huh. I guess I?m to hung up on specs and bragging rights, but at least I know what I want. Well?.. until I get instant computing with wall to wall 3D beamers I will never let a company off the hook for giving me the industry norm. Heat, space issues, geeeesh, I hope you guys aren?t planning on a G5 Powerbook anytime soon with that frame of mind.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Well then there you have it, an agreement to except marginal hardware for a not so inexpensive computer. Wow, no complaints, not a one, full content all around, huh. I guess I?m to hung up on specs and bragging rights, but at least I know what I want. Well?.. until I get instant computing with wall to wall 3D beamers I will never let a company off the hook for giving me the industry norm. Heat, space issues, geeeesh, I hope you guys aren?t planning on a G5 Powerbook anytime soon with that frame of mind.

I´d be curious to know what kind of computing you do.....

It must be quite impressive. . . . . . .
  • Reply 31 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Or the same with an option for more VRAM \ .

Finally it may be as I feared. Think Secret says now that the iMac will get an update next month to 2 GHz, but other specifications will remain largely unchanged. So, I would not be surprised to see again the same 5200 Ultra, with an option for 128 MB VRAM this time.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Don't you know that Apple knows what you want more than you do?

You WANT to play modern games at 25 frames per second with graphic features turned off or on low settings.

Or you WANT to buy a professionally priced system containing a $150 midrange card, and pay $2000 for it.

What you DON'T want, ever, and should never ask for until the end of the Earth, is a prosumer middle ground computer... that is unless and until they ordain it and tell you that you want it at some unknown point in the future.

At which time you will also praise your leader as the genius he is for filling the product gap that's existed for 7 years and counting. Your peers that criticize you now will also change their programming and realize how great it is, and use it as proof positive of the superiority of their cause.

Silly people. You will learn to be good sheep. Stop being a demanding customer, now!
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

Don't you know that Apple knows what you want more than you do?

You WANT to play modern games at 25 frames per second with graphic features turned off or on low settings.

Or you WANT to buy a professionally priced system containing a $150 midrange card, and pay $2000 for it.

What you DON'T want, ever, and should never ask for until the end of the Earth, is a prosumer middle ground computer... that is unless and until they ordain it and tell you that you want it at some unknown point in the future.

At which time you will also praise your leader as the genius he is for filling the product gap that's existed for 7 years and counting. Your peers that criticize you now will also change their programming and realize how great it is, and use it as proof positive of the superiority of their cause.

Silly people. You will learn to be good sheep. Stop being a demanding customer, now!

Zon
  • Reply 34 of 52
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Zon

Even the most average game taxes systems if you run it at native monitor resolutions, which I see as a requirement on LCDs, and turn on any real graphical effects.

It's reasonable to expect people around the iMac market will play games and confining them to the lowest settings isn't that impressive.

As an aside if you want to do anything impressive you don't mind spending the extra cash (it's a tax write off anyway so what do I really care?) but the same isn't true for a computer that might be used as a home computer where somebody plays games.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    But again . . this thread is for those who actually owns an iMac G5....

For those who actually plays games like WarCraft, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, Rise Of Nations, Call of Duty or similar on their iMac G5.

Let´s hear it from them !

Zon
  • Reply 36 of 52
    I am sure Rev B of the iMac G5 will be better. Personally, I assembled a PC with a 6800GT card for World of Warcraft and other games. Unreal Tournament 2004 works well on my iMac G4. I am sure it will be much better on the iMac G5.

But it is a hassle to use one computer for games and another for doing anything else. At times, I am tempted to just use webaccess to check my email and not bother with booting up my iMac.

Oh there is absolutely no comparison between a 6800GT and a 5200Ultra. If only I had a display for the PC that matched my iMac and if I had OS-X running on the PC and if only the damn PC wasn't so freaking loud with all the fans and...
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Zon

Well, the message was (sort of) tongue in cheek but the point is true. Apple lacks a qualifying "prosumer" computer. I don't need dual core, but I would like to play some modern games with advanced graphic options at a reasonable resolution and FPS. To do that I'd have to BTO the base G5 and upgrade it to almost $2000. That's a professional price according to my bank book.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    As a long time Mac user and supporter i had to say piss on apple and all the games they play and bought a PC. Sad thing is my PC can do everything my Mac can and more including games. Sure its not as sweet as my Mac but it works. Apple is pushing stale hardware in fancy clothes. Look at the CPU's look at the GPU's. They are weak when compared to the PC world and any consumer bench can prove this. Macaddict/Macworld proved this in testing Powermacs against Pcs last year. Imac is a overpriced money maker for apple that comes with a GPU thats just strong enough to get by this year but next year it will leave you crying. This has been Apple's formula for loosing marketshare playing the Powermac against the iMac and then people buy PC's. Imac doesnt have the CPU or the GPU to be a game machine. FX5200 is still garbage,2 G5s cant match one AMD64 and you still have to wait a year before those great titles make it to Mac. Then when they do you find out you dont have the muscle to play. Doom3 is one example. Unless you have a dual CPU Powermac and upgraded that P.O.S. FX5200 you arent playing this one. Doom3,Halflife2,Far Cry,IL2..........this list doesnt stop not one title is on Mac and if they were only the dual G5s could even play. Gaming on Macs suck and its Apples doing. Other then that iMacs are great for the net and email & tunes etc. Apple needs to pull its head out of its arse and offer the consumer some video options and stop the stale all in one low performance gig they got going on. Didnt buy a PC after years of macs for nothing. Rant over
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

As a long time Mac user and supporter i had to say piss on apple and all the games they play and bought a PC. Sad thing is my PC can do everything my Mac can and more including games. Sure its not as sweet as my Mac but it works. Apple is pushing stale hardware in fancy clothes. Look at the CPU's look at the GPU's. They are weak when compared to the PC world and any consumer bench can prove this. Macaddict/Macworld proved this in testing Powermacs against Pcs last year. Imac is a overpriced money maker for apple that comes with a GPU thats just strong enough to get by this year but next year it will leave you crying. This has been Apple's formula for loosing marketshare playing the Powermac against the iMac and then people buy PC's. Imac doesnt have the CPU or the GPU to be a game machine. FX5200 is still garbage,2 G5s cant match one AMD64 and you still have to wait a year before those great titles make it to Mac. Then when they do you find out you dont have the muscle to play. Doom3 is one example. Unless you have a dual CPU Powermac and upgraded that P.O.S. FX5200 you arent playing this one. Doom3,Halflife2,Far Cry,IL2..........this list doesnt stop not one title is on Mac and if they were only the dual G5s could even play. Gaming on Macs suck and its Apples doing. Other then that iMacs are great for the net and email & tunes etc. Apple needs to pull its head out of its arse and offer the consumer some video options and stop the stale all in one low performance gig they got going on. Didnt buy a PC after years of macs for nothing. Rant over

GOOD-RIDDENSE !! I have a 20"g5 iMac that to me is the be-all/end-all of computing. I am an above normal user, not an all out power user but I do my share of design, music recording, and small video projects. I have absolutely NO problems with the iMacs video abilities. So go off into your spec-whore PC world and have all the FPS fun you think you are having and we'll be seeing ya, and not missing you either. Bye Bye from the wonderful world of mac. Randy. and yes Jobs is my hero!!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I know the truth hurts dont be such a Mac Zealot. I know there are plenty of imac owners who dont know what a game is and thats good for them and their fx5200. But since this thread is about imac and gaming i thought i would tell it like it is. iMac has a very poor video system that cant run its display at native while doing any recent games. Glad you love your machine but when it comes to gaming iMacs will leave you wanting. But they are stylish\