Preferred Beers and Beer Styles

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I ocassionally enjoy something darker like a Sam Adams. Or, I go to the local Microbrewery "Iron Hill." I generally like a lager, not too dark. Ocassionally I'll get an Ale (they have their own names, of course). The mircobrew beer will fvck you up a little more quickly, but at $3.50-$4.00 a pint, it better.

It's a little tough on the wallet. 3 or 4 pints, share some nachos and wings with a friend...and your in for $35 a piece. But, that's off topic.

Favorite Overall: Yuengling Lager

Favorite Light: Amstel

Most fvcked up for the money: Natural Ice (plus, it seems to make chicks hook up w/each other. I don't know, it just does. I've accepted it on faith).

Most water like: Natural Light (also REALLY bad)

Favorite Medium/darker lager: Sam Adams

Others I like: Molson, Labatts

Worst: Too many to name.

For some fun, try chugging Guiness.

I noticed that we have a lot of the same tastes in Beers so I just wanted to add my 2 cents to some differences.

Favorites: Amstel Light, Corona, Heiniken, Abita Amber, Abita Purple Haze (this is a damn good beer that I always forget about), & the occasional Sam Adams

Favorite Budget Beers: Miller Light, Coors Light, & Budweiser

Worst Piss ever made: Natural Light & Woodchuck (both for very different reasons)

Beer Anicdote: Last weekend my wife and I stayed with a friend in St. Louis who happens to be a marketing exec. for Anhauser Bush. We were up late on sunday night and were discussing different types of beer. At this point I noticed that my friend was drinking out of a glass which has always seemed like a preference issue to me. When I asked him about it he went on this huge speal about how Anhauser Bush brews their beers fresh and so much of that gets lost on people like me who drink it out of the bottle. He went on to give thin entire experiment to everyone there where he took out several glasses and instructed us on how to pour it, the different smells when done improperly, and the different tastes when drinking out of a glass as opposed to a bottle. It was very insightful and equally unexpected.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I noticed that we have a lot of the same tastes in Beers so I just wanted to add my 2 cents to some differences.

Favorites: Amstel Light, Corona, Heiniken, Abita Amber, Abita Purple Haze (this is a damn good beer that I always forget about), & the occasional Sam Adams

Favorite Budget Beers: Miller Light, Coors Light, & Budweiser

Worst Piss ever made: Natural Light & Woodchuck (both for very different reasons)

Beer Anicdote: Last weekend my wife and I stayed with a friend in St. Louis who happens to be a marketing exec. for Anhauser Bush. We were up late on sunday night and were discussing different types of beer. At this point I noticed that my friend was drinking out of a glass which has always seemed like a preference issue to me. When I asked him about it he went on this huge speal about how Anhauser Bush brews their beers fresh and so much of that gets lost on people like me who drink it out of the bottle. He went on to give thin entire experiment to everyone there where he took out several glasses and instructed us on how to pour it, the different smells when done improperly, and the different tastes when drinking out of a glass as opposed to a bottle. It was very insightful and equally unexpected.

P.S. I hate most Micro Brewerys & my spelling sucks Anhauser
  • Reply 63 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

There was a thread on this a few years back, but tastes, products and forum members have of course changed since then. What's your favourite beer? What styles do you enjoy? What have you tried recently? Do you have recommendations or warnings?

My favourite beer is a local brew, Propeller Pale Ale. I remember sharing a large bottle with a friend of mine, and we drank it as an accompaniment to some smoked mackerel. At that time, we had very little experience with beer - the extent of our experience at that time was comprised of cautious sipping of stuff like Fosters, Heineken, Labatt and Keith's - and had never tried any microbrewery products. Perhaps needless to say, we were bowled over by the taste. It was one of those great gastronomic revelations, where you realise, "This is how it should be!"

Since that time, I've found a few other favourites, but I always like to try something new. Recently, I tried Chimay Red Cap. Even after unsuccessful experiments with the Blue and some other highly-recommended strong Belgian beers, I decided to try the Red Cap, and I rather enjoyed it. It takes away some of the dark, spicy notes and alcohol of the Blue, while still being complex and flavourful.

Here are some old (and new) favourites of mine, which you may want to try if you get the chance: McEwans Scotch Ale, Liefmans Goudenband, Fuller's London Porter, Pilsner Urquell, Mort Subite Framboise, St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Extra Stout, Granite Brewery Peculiar, Newcastle Brown Ale, Propeller Extra Special Bitter.

I'll concede that there are likely better examples for every style represented here, but I'd still recommend any of them.

One warning: never buy or drink Madison, if it is in fact still available. I don't think it's sold around here. It's a French beer laced with Grand Marnier, and it is absolutely disgusting. Imagine crappy beer, made sickly sweet with that dark Grand Marnier orange essence. I had trouble drinking one bottle. It's not even good as a novelty.

The only general, strong dislike I've found so far doesn't have much to do with ingredients or styles, but with presentation. I can't stand nitrogen widgets. They suck the flavour out of beer and give it a bizarre feel. Whenever I mistakenly buy a widget can, I like to open it and let it go flat before I take a drink.

So, I'm spoken for. What say you?

McEwan's Scotch Ale is the BEST beer I've ever had in all the countries I've been to. Simply Nectar Of The Gods.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

McEwan's Scotch Ale is the BEST beer I've ever had in all the countries I've been to. Simply Nectar Of The Gods.

no way! that beer is so harsh! \
  • Reply 65 of 69
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    My preferred beer is free.

If you drink non alcoholic beer then drink water you nonce!

Fosters is the Microsoft of the beer world.

If you want games then try skulling a stiefel of hefe weizen or yard of elephant beer.

Dobby.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Non-alcoholic beer is revolting, unless you like your beverages sour and tasting of corn syrup. A good carbonated mineral water has more kick.

And McEwans? Harsh? Goodness. Harsh like your grandmother's delicious fresh-baked fudge brownies on a cold winter's night aboard the barges of the Saint Marie. Well, maybe it's the alcohol.