Welcome To The Insider Lounge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Welcome to Insider Lounge.

This is where we discuss everything not covered by the other forums; non-Apple technology, tech industry trends, eb happenings and everything going on in the real world.

Enjoy your stay. Be nice. Have fun.

All questions go in here or in Feedback, please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Welcome to Insider Lounge.

This is where we discuss everything not covered by the other forums; non-Apple technology, tech industry trends, eb happenings and everything going on in the real world.

Enjoy your stay. Be nice. Have fun.

All questions go in here or in Feedback, please.

So, in other words, it just a more confusing name than General Discussion mixed with AppleOutsider?
  • Reply 2 of 103
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's the AppleInsider Lounge.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • Reply 3 of 103
    Quote:

It's the AppleInsider Lounge.

Sorry for any confusion.

well, maybe that should be more clear , i mean, I thought it was more of a Lounge for people who were on the inside of going ons, rather that those part of the AppleInsider community.

although, a lounge is hardly to discuss tech matters, it should be a place to discuss the weather, sports, current events, and other nice fluffy topics rather than Tech Newzzzz
  • Reply 4 of 103
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Doesn't it seem a little odd to squish three of the four most trafficked forums (AO, PO, and GD) into one front-page link? Insider Lounge has as many posts as all the other forums combined, Future Hardware excepted. And the range of topics is far wider than any other forum. I did notice that the new forum divisions seem ideally suited for categorizing AI.com news stories - better suited to that, anyway, than to dividing member discussions. Was that the motivation for the reorganization?

One thing I was wondering, what's the proper home in the new paradigm for purchasing advice? IL, though it may have inherited GD, doesn't seem to have the right flavor. Back to Current Hardware? Either way, it would probably help to have a mention on the front-page fine print, like we used to, since those kinds of threads tend to go all over the place otherwise.
  • Reply 5 of 103
    Even if they're three of the most heavily trafficked they are still slow. AppleOutsider+General Discussions was only 14 active threads today. That's not busy at all.

Consolidation should make it more lively, involved and interesting. You can subcategorize yourself into silence. There are a lot of tumbleweeds rolling around the forums.

Purchasing advice stays in here for now. That might change later. It's a transition process.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    You do realize this is causing us all stress don't you?
  • Reply 7 of 103
    We're hoping for the old to all have heartattacks and die from the stress, leaving the new forum for the young to inherit.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Hey, a Lounge...

I'd like a Gimlet, shaken, please.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

We're hoping for the old to all have heartattacks and die from the stress, leaving the new forum for the young to inherit.

coooooooool...when the oldies start falling, I get to use the paddles!!!...I love high voltage

w00t w00t, power to those who adapt to change!!
  • Reply 10 of 103
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    if the goal is to get rid of unused forums, then why don't you get rid of feedback (because as far as I have ever seen it isn't followed), ipod+itunes (because that is just dorky), and genius bar (because most people's questions get answered elsewhere)...
  • Reply 11 of 103
    The goal isn't just to get rid of unpopular forums, otherwise those would be good ideas.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    what we need is Mob control, under the guise of Mod control.

People get rubbed out for complaining, and the Moderators still look like heros by being in cahoots with the townspeople and the Mob, while still bad mouthing the Mob.

Yes, but all these changes are scary and are going to hurt.... I have create mouse memory of where to click!
  • Reply 13 of 103
    This is an outrage. More tyranny from groverat. Die you Nazi moderator!
  • Reply 14 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Groverat likes asserting authority, that's for sure.

You think I can screw with the forum formatting?

Quote:

If the reorganization is, as Groverat claims, meant to consolidate slow forums, then the creation of the retail forum is absolutely moronic.

Here's something else I claimed:

The goal isn't just to get rid of unpopular forums, otherwise those would be good ideas.

Merging AO and GD was more about retaining focus; this is a computer/technology site. We're trying to tame the wildland (AO/PO) in addition to consolidating and making things more lively.

Quote:

It seems the true motivation is to better integrate the threads with the front page. Fess up.

I think that's the deal behind Retail Discussion. Apparenlty there's something coming, I don't know.

Glad to know you can still trust people to care way too much.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Groverat, don't act as though you weren't heavily involved in the moderator forum when these changes were discussed. That's what I'm talking about.

Never said I wasn't. I provided feedback.

I really don't know what any of that has to do with power.

I'm Lady Macbeth.

Quote:

As I said above, the great thing about Apple Outsider was that I could talk about non tech stuff with tech people. This was the best place on the internet to do that.

You can still do that, first of all, and second of all AO/PO was a breeding ground for venom and ill-will.

Quote:

but it was a fantastic non-tech forum, as well. The best on the net. Now the best forum on the net is killed.

AO & PO were terrible. AO was pretty much dead and PO remains a vat of flames and garbage.

There were 14 active threads in AO and GD combined, and 8 of those were from GD.

You're telling me that a forum with 6 active threads was "the best place on the internet to talk about non-tech stuff"?

Quote:

Thanks for killing a great part of our community.

Could you be more melodramatic? I'd like to see you try.
  • Reply 16 of 103
    AO was best for the biannual "HOT LADIES" thread, and the "THIS NEW MOVIE IS COMING OUT!"

as for melodrama:

The greatest moment in our lives was taken from us and thrown into a flame, a slight flint froze the beating heart, but transposed it into another body of flesh unknown. A tint, light, heart, and the beat, woke us, to find another set of us gazing upon us in our breeding lone. To know the truth was the moment in which the great flame of the sky bore down on us and the heart froze, connected to the world in new ways unknown and will take only a pure unborn soul to realize what was lost; deception, greed; men honor not these things, they honor courage and power and the will to continue onwards. Onwards to find the source of the greed, and the flaming arrow, that disrupted our lives before the ivy grew on our walls, on our flesh. The soul unknown and unborn will seize the Frozen Beating Heart. Flame, Frozen, Soul, Born, Heart.
  • Reply 17 of 103
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So is PoliticalOutsider getting axed? That would be consistent with this new focus of AI.

I like some of tonton's ideas. Not that it matters, but I'd like to see this :

Rumors (including any fascinating rumors about Apple's retail stores)

Reality (including current hardware, software, OS talk, iTunes + iPod, purchasing advice, and "Genius Bar")

General Discussion (general tech talk not about any specific product)

Lounge

Feedback

Moderators (for discussions of how best to fuck things up at AI)

I prefer fewer separate forums. Ars has one of the really good Mac forums on the net and it has exactly one forum. Hell, now that I think about it, just combine my "Reality" forum with GD and be done with it. You have fevered rumors discussion in one forum, calm and insightful current products and issues discussion in another, a lounge for us losers to play in, feedback if you must, and that's it. That would so ROCK!

I guess I'll just drift off to sleep tonight dreaming about my ideal AppleInsider.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I assumed the forums were merged...
  • Reply 19 of 103
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I assumed the forums were merged...

That's right.

Tonton try this link : http://forums.appleinsider.com/forum...pagenumber=143

It means that both AO and GD archives are mixed in The insider lounge archives.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So is PoliticalOutsider getting axed? That would be consistent with this new focus of AI.

I like the idea, so I'll go ahead and flex my awesome powerful moderator muscles and make that happen.