Dictionary in Tiger

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    From Apple's website.

Dictionary Service

Call up a dictionary definition for any word on-screen with just one click.

Sounds like the built-in Dictionary is even better than services. I have to see this in actions. I'm assuming that it works with webpages and any other text document.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

That's only a couple of words, and there aren't that many more that are commonly used. Seriously, how hard could it be to just add those words.

yeah but we shouldn't have to. There should be respect for different localisations and it's a drag having to do it in every area. Also there are more than a few words.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Why will Apple not include an RSS reader widget? that would be the killer tie-in to Safari rss, have your stocks and headlines from WSJ, NYT, yada yada...well, looks like a good time to learn Apple widget development w00t

Oh and a mail widget...shows you the from address and subject of any new messages and when one is clicked calls up mail.app (this could be modified to work with T-bird or entourage)

well...I better stop giving away mi widget ideas...till I develope them this summer

they sound good, make sure you post them!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Quote:

That's only a couple of words, and there aren't that many more that are commonly used.

Here are a few more.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I "heard" that a right-click on a selected word shows the following context menu:

Search in Spotlight

Search in Google

Look up in Dictionary

Copy

In Panther, if a selection is a fully-qualified URL including the "http :", then it will say "Go To Address". Sadly, they still require the "http :" for that to show up, so you are stuck with the ridiculous goose chase of selecting "Search in Google" and then clicking the exact same text in Google to go to the URL.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

That's only a couple of words, and there aren't that many more that are commonly used. Seriously, how hard could it be to just add those words.

It's called English for a reason...