Office 2004 for Mac 11.1.1 Update Seems WorthWhile

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Y'all should try out Office 2004 for Mac 11.1.1 Update... That's right, the update to Office 11.1 which was the update to Office 11.0 (Office 2004 for Mac)

PowerPoint Excel and Word loads FAST on my iBook G4 933mhz 256mb ram........ finally yay !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    wasn't that out a long time ago? I just did the auto update and nothing came up
  • Reply 2 of 22
    oops. never mind. It just came up. I will have to install it after i get a chance
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    yeah try it! as a certain other poster said on macobserver.com, unfortunately the formatting palette still seems to be designed "for a dyslexic monkey on crack"

while i am still trying to envisage a dyslexic monkey on crack yeah i'm not a big fan of how that formatting palette works
  • Reply 4 of 22
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Hot DAMN that boots fast! One bounce - I can't believe it!

God bless you Microsoft. God bless every on...*looks at the sky*

I better not push my luck.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member

Word is still is a dog if you're a designer and you use a Font Management app.

Bounces 7 times in the dock, then gets stuck on "Optimizing Font Menu..." for another minute or two before anything happens.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mine still boots like it used to. It was never really slow even though i have a 1 ghz G4 b/c i have 768 Ram
  • Reply 7 of 22
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    This won't bait me out if I'm using a cracked version, will it?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    call MSFT and ask.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

*ahem* lets just say i won't be installing a certain 7.0.1 update of a certain microsoft for mac product

but good luck matey...

oh and yeah... i think speed increase is because they got rid of that optimizing font menu rubbish that was sucking up a lot of time.... but yeah maybe if you got a font management app it still takes quite a bit of time to load
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

Hot DAMN that boots fast! One bounce - I can't believe it!

God bless you Microsoft. God bless every on...*looks at the sky*

I better not push my luck.

yeah one step at a time... sometimes i feel so guilty enjoying such an AWESOME computing experience with my Mac i challenge myself in different other ways and then stress myself out... I blame using Apple for going from geeky bad-photoshop PC user to moderately successful web designer... then burnt out designer after landing some juicy but TOUGH! assignments at ad/marketing agencies

ah at least my parents are 1000% better off now with my brother buying them an iBook, and moving them to windows2000 on their aging PC just with firefox and thunderbird and google mail

</ramble>
  • Reply 11 of 22
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    when will they be comming out with Office '05?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I heard it won't.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Looks like we have to wait for the summer update for a real exchange clinet :/
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Looks like we have to wait for the summer update for a real exchange clinet :/

*sigh* exchange... what a pain in the ass... typical example of proprietary-technology-infected corporate microsoft nonsense
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

when will they be comming out with Office '05?

Microsoft updates its Office suite on a two-year cycle. It updates its Mac and Windows ports in alternate years. 2003 produced Office 2003 for Windows. 2004 produced Office 2004 for the Mac. If the pattern holds, 2005 will see the release of Office 2005 for Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    As much as i hate MSFT i love Office 2004. Why am i saying this? becuase i don't see where MSFT could improve on office. If they make word have too much more bloat, it will be over the top. Some programs (for many developers) have reached their zenith. There isn't too much more to do
  • Reply 17 of 22
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

As much as i hate MSFT i love Office 2004. Why am i saying this? becuase i don't see where MSFT could improve on office. If they make word have too much more bloat, it will be over the top. Some programs (for many developers) have reached their zenith. There isn't too much more to do

I agree but it would be nice to see them optimize code so it would run faster and require less resources on both PC's and Mac's. Sometimes I want to throw my computer around doing intensive spread sheets and large, very large documents.

Eric
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

yes, on the Mac side, i would say that definitely had some Mac fans 'working on the inside' that developed Office 2004.

on the Windows side, office was pretty much done in Office 2000, some may even say Word 97 was the zenith of Word.... everything since then has been a lot of bloatware to keep people buying the latest Office and now this windows XP stuff
  • Reply 19 of 22
    i have been using this apps for writing essay and it is best version that i feel happy.

but if in page view and any pages contain a lot pics graphs complex stuff, it handle badly, definitely has to improve coding to make it run faster, consume less memory and response faster.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by dontconfuse

i have been using this apps for writing essay and it is best version that i feel happy.

but if in page view and any pages contain a lot pics graphs complex stuff, it handle badly, definitely has to improve coding to make it run faster, consume less memory and response faster.

fair enough. what system are you using?

for that 'complex stuff' kind of stuff you are talking about, i think minimum 1ghz G4 with minimum 512MB of ram will be needed

simple Excel and charts, works very smooth for me, 933mhz G4 iBook with 256mb RAM...

Powerpoint with a lot of graphics i think would get tricky sometimes on my poor little iBook