The realistic MWSF '02 thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
You guys will be severly dissapointed when the G5 doesnt come (I hope I am wrong) and the host of other things you want so here are my expectations:

Pro Line:

1066Mhz G4 Single (1)

900 Dual G4 (2)

866Mhz entry level (3)

1) 1024 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Geoforce III, same case, Superdrive = $2599

2) 1024 MB RAM, 100 GB HD, Geoforce III, same case, superdrive = $3599

3) 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, Geoforce II, same case, DVD/CD-R drive = $1699

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: MajorMatt ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Surely we have got to see some sort of new iMac?!

iMac just does nothing for me anymore. And I don't want just a speedbump and a colour change, I want something ground breaking.

J
  • Reply 2 of 51
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    PowerMacs

No G5 but Steve says they are coming "soon"

Same mother board as current

Same prices

Same vid card

Same case

RAM: 256,512, 512

HD: 60, 80, 90

867 MHz, 933 MHz, 1GHz, Dual 1GHz (?) or Dual 933 (?)

Super Drive across line

iMac

Same prices

Same vid card

Combo drive top end only

15" CRT and 14" TFT

G3 700, G3 800, G3 900, G3 1Ghz (?)

RAM 128 low / 256 high end

$100 increase in top TFT model

TFT model won't ship right away.

No new iBook

No new TiBook

OS 10.2

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>PowerMacs

No G5 but Steve says they are coming "soon"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you think the revised G4 would sell very well if Steve hinted that G5s were coming soon? I don't.

J
  • Reply 4 of 51
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by jamiemarshall:

<strong>

Do you think the revised G4 would sell very well if Steve hinted that G5s were coming soon? I don't.

J</strong><hr></blockquote>

By "soon" I meant months. I'm not saying he would talk about the G5s but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If the G5 doesn't come at MWSF I don't think Steve would say it's coming soon.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    I can't remember Steve ever introducing a product and talking about its successor at the same time. It wouldn't make good business sense.

J
  • Reply 7 of 51
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    DUAL G5 iBOOK with SUPERDRIVE!!! all other models cancelled. Apple gets the prices down by having just one model with more performance than anything available in either the laptop or desktop space.

Starting at 999 Canadian with options up to 1999.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>If the G5 doesn't come at MWSF I don't think Steve would say it's coming soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fine. What do you think we can really expect at MWSF?

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 51
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    What can we expect?

Expect Steve to demo some new minimizing effects on stage and this demo takes about half of the keynote time.

Then again use *only* Photshop to show how the dual 800 G4 beats the 2Ghz P4...then the MegaHurtz myth talk (this time twice as long as in MWNY)

If Apple really has nothing to talk or show Steve better not making any speech for the Keynote. This will make him silly.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 51
    FASTEST: 1Gig G4 100GB HD

FASTER: 900MHz 80GB HD

FAST: 800MHz 60GB HD

DDR RAM, Processor daughtercard on all models has ZIF socket for additional processor, build to order as duals or via third party upgrade.

iMac2: 733MHz G4 slot loading DVD/CD-RW combo drive. Built into 15" LCD Studio Display (speakers built into legs)

iMac: Same stuff with speed bump G3 and entry level pricing

iBook & TiBook: unchanged until Tokyo
  • Reply 11 of 51
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    - no G5, no word about it either

- Top-of-the-line will move to 1.3Ghz "shipping within 6 weeks"

- Dual goes up to 933 or 1Ghz

- Firewire2 will be introduced, USB2 _not_

- iMac will be replaced by something with a TFT.

Jobs will ramble about Photoshop 7 native for X and 10.2 with increased performance
  • Reply 12 of 51
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Realistic?

Okay, no G5. And some of you better get used to that idea or I'm afraid of a massive wrist-slitting ritual from some of you come MWSF!

G4 will break the GHz barrier (only about time!) and hard drive bumps.

Nothing on iBook or TiBook...they were just revved, for crying out loud! Some of you people actually thinking Apple is getting down to three month revision cycles are losing it.

A new iApp, dealing with digital photography.

The big star of the show will be a new iMac. It will be an LCD model and it will sport a combo drive. But no G4...just a high (800MHz or so) G3. But a combo drive will be an option, and it'll ship with a better video card.

The iMac will finally get its long-awaited redesign/revamp and we will all rejoice.

However, being Apple, they won't do the expected or what they SHOULD (that is, make it look all cool and white and glossy like it's laptop cousin, the iBook). No, they'll do something totally stupid to make it look weirder than it should, like a dark purple anondized enclosure or something completely out of left field that NOBODY IS ASKING FOR, when the answer is staring them right in the face and looks great: glossy, clean iBook white.

Mark my words. I'd bet my left lung that as cool as the new iMac will be, there will be one major shortcoming or glaring omission that will keep it from being the ultimate all-in-one (it'll come in an ugly color, it'll have a lame-ass, substandard video card, it won't have speakers built in, etc.).

It's Apple, folks. And as much as I love them and as cool as their stuff is (and at this point I'd never use anything else but a Mac), but fact is they have an IMPECCABLE record here lately that for every cool step forward, they take a half-step or full step backward in another area and drop the ball in some unbelievable, jaw-dropping way.

Just watch...

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Dorsal?
  • Reply 14 of 51
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    hey pscates. I don't really case if the new iMac doesn't come with built in speakers. The one in the recent iMac is crap anyway
  • Reply 15 of 51
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Ok, I did some rational thinking last night about the G5/G4 and this is what I determined.

Every recent powermac revision has been close to a 200mhz jump. The current G4 won't scale past 1ghz. Not sure what th Apollo will scale to, but it's still a G4 and G4s are supposed to not scale that high and that's why the G5 is next.

So if the Apollo doesn't come out, this will be a wack speed jump, maybe only improving 70mhz -100mhz or so with the same old chip.

No one knows anything about the Apollo, this could be asneaky move on Apple's part but I see the Apollo going into the portables only.

So I don't see the G5 coming out in Jan (to my disappoinment) the reason? Well, the iMac's tooth is longer than the G4 and I don't see Apple releasing a new iMac and a new tower at the same show. I think the iMac takes precidence in Jan meaning only a tiny stupid speed bump in the same case G4.

So

small speedbump on the G4s

new iMac

FCP X

PS beta

..and I guess I'll wait another few months for the G5. I was really hoping the G5 would come out but I think it comes down to the iMac and not the rumors on the G5s progress. Apple wouldn't unveil two new products at the same show and I think that's why the QuickSilvers came out-to hold off the towers for 6-12 months. I think the Jan revision is the last for the current G4 tower.

This means I gotta wait longer
  • Reply 16 of 51
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Here's my prediction:

iMac - $799

Same form factor - only one version available

600 MHz PowerPC 750cxe

128 MB PC100 SDRAM (100 MHz bus)

Rage 128 w/16MB

30 GB ATA/66 drive

CD-RW

2 USB + 2 Firewire (400 Mbit/s)

100 MBit/s Ethernet

Airport optional

iMac DL (Digital Lifestyle) - $1299 to $1699

iPOD like form factor - 15 x 14 x 2 inches with white front and clear coat steel back

15.1 TFT screen

600, 733 MHz PowerPC 7440/7450 (no backside cache)

128, 256 MByte PC133 SDRAM (133 MHz bus)

Radeon w/32MB

40, 60 MByte ATA/66 drive

Combo, Superdrive opticals

2 USB + 2 Firewire (400 Mbit/s)

100 MBit/s

Airport optional

Power Macintosh G4 - $1699 to $2999

Same form factor - El Capitan case is 3 years old in MWSF02, how much more can they squeeze out of this thing? But I think they want to wait for MWNY02.

800, 933, 1067, 933x2 PowerPC 7460 w/2MB backside cache

256 to 512 MByte of PC2100 DDR SDRAM

GeForce 3 w/64 MB

60, 80, 100 GByte drives

Combo, Superdrive opticals

2 USB + 2 Firewire (800 Mbit/s)

Gigabit Ethernet

Airport optional

Some things to ponder:

1. I'm relatively skeptical that IBM will have anything faster than a 750 to 800 MHz PPC 750fx by Q1 02.

2. 600 to 733 MHz Moto 7440/7450 processors are readily available.

3. Motorola supposedly qualified their HiP 7 fab this past Summer, so a 7460 (Apollo) should be probable. 6 months to move an existing chip onto to a new process seems reasonable to me.

4. A TFT screen probably costs Apple half of what they sell it for. The rest of the costs are the form factor plastics and other support hardware (USB, power, ...) and 25% margin.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>

Fine. What do you think we can really expect at MWSF?

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: imacSE ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I say we'll finally get G4s over 1 GHz and we'll probably get new iMacs.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    My thread wasn't good enough?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    "Realistic"

Only Software Updates, maybe new digital hub product (Digital Video/Photo that can connect to iPod?)

10.2, FCP X, PS X, Appleworks 7 X, updated Quicktime (maybe mpeg 2/4 playback)

Between March and June... all at the same time,

G5's in Desktops 1.6, (Duel?) 2.0, 2.4 Ghz starting at $1,600

G4's (Apollo's) in Ti Books 1, 1.2 Ghz starting at $2000

G3's 800, 900, 1000 Mhz in LCD iMac ($799 and up) iBooks ($1100 and up)
  • Reply 20 of 51
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    They will announce a whole slew of OSX apps including Macromedia Flash/Dreamweaver for OSX and Adobe Photoshop. FCP will be announced in 2 weeks. If they get the mainstream apps after MS Office, that is when the bug migration comes to move over to OSX fully for those still on OS9.

cheaper flat planel displays. reduced price tag on iPod to 299.