Star Wars Trailer On the OC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i have to admit i miss the animatronics and alien costuming. sure, the movement might have been a bit stiff at times for certain characters, but CG will always look "too crisp", but i can still watch eps 4,5 & 6 and think it's awesome.

i will be interested to see how/why yoda and obi wan decide to go into hiding (and how they evade the republic for as long as they do). i assume there's got to be SOME allusion to the rebellion amid all this. i am also wondering if they have a "20 years later..." span, where the last scene of episode 3 is darth vader searching for princess leia's ship.

it's gonna be a lot to cram into a single movie.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    We see the soon-to-be-called "Rebel Blockade Runner", Captain Antilles' ship from the beginning of Ep IV. I assume we'll see some of Alderaan.

The Rebellion is nearly instantaneous I would assume. As soon as Palpatine calls himself Emperor, any resistance is the rebellion. Presumably the Rebellion is far larger at first and gets whittled down to a Battlestar Galactica sized fleet by the time of Ep IV.

If Lucas is smart, he'll spend only about 40 tight minutes on Anakin becoming Vader and the Republic falling, and let the rest of the movie be the spread of the Empire with Vader the star of it all, chasing down the Rebellion.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    unfortunately I think we only see Vader near the end.. I heard the majority of the film is just Anakin becoming increasingly moody \
  • Reply 24 of 39
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Okay-- So how do you explain Palpatine's physical transformations? Does the dark side of the force have a role there? And is Obi-Wan responsible for nearly killing Anakin? And why is the Darth Vader scene in the trailer so brightly lit? I want a gritty star wars like the originals. And, yeah, Anakin seems to walk around with nothing but a pout on his face.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    how I remember reading it as a 9yr old, Anakin falls backwards into a fire pit whilst dualing Obi-Wan. Looks like lots of fire pits in the trailer. And Palpatine degenerates physically from his general evilness thanks to the effects of the dark side.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Okay-- So how do you explain Palpatine's physical transformations? Does the dark side of the force have a role there? And is Obi-Wan responsible for nearly killing Anakin? And why is the Darth Vader scene in the trailer so brightly lit? I want a gritty star wars like the originals. And, yeah, Anakin seems to walk around with nothing but a pout on his face.

that vader scene at the end of the trailer looks like vader is on the bridge of a star destroyer, which is why i think lucas will do a "twenty years later..." abbreviation, and that will lead directly into the star destroyer opening fire on leia's ship in "a new hope."

just a theory...
  • Reply 27 of 39
    I think you're right rok... but what's going on with his hands in the shot of him rising up..?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

that vader scene at the end of the trailer looks like vader is on the bridge of a star destroyer, which is why i think lucas will do a "twenty years later..." abbreviation, and that will lead directly into the star destroyer opening fire on leia's ship in "a new hope."

just a theory...

Nope I think the movie will end with (and this is the shot of Vader) Vader watching the construction of the death star.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    you know what people? the first star wars movie i saw was with my mum and dad, i was 6, return of the jedi... i later on since then watched ep 4, 5 and 6 a lot of times on tv/vhs/dvd/whatever

fast forward 20 years, i'll probably be watching episode 3 in a few months with me dad...

8) at the end of the day, bickering about CG-everything aside, i get to spend some quality time with me old man (i was in boarding school during high school then studied and worked in different countries until recently), so making up for lost time, that will be what star wars is worth to me

and you know, the moments, CG or model-based, that make you go, whoa..! and you're a kid again, for those brief moments...

....yeah making up for lost time with your dad... wait a minute, that's on of the star wars themes
  • Reply 30 of 39
    yeah, sometimes i wonder if we've all just gotten too cynical (me included) towards fantasies like this. i mean, when i was young and i saw return of the jedi (my first star wars, too), i didn't even think about the high groan-factor of admiral akbar of the "calamari." i mean, seriously, we forgive it now, and as kids, we didn't think twice about it.

when this is all said and done, and all on enhanced dvd, i'll rent the whole lot of them, and watch 'em back-to-back(-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back), and see if i can just enjoy the entire saga and stop trying to think about it so much.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yeah, sometimes i wonder if we've all just gotten too cynical (me included) towards fantasies like this. i mean, when i was young and i saw return of the jedi (my first star wars, too), i didn't even think about the high groan-factor of admiral akbar of the "calamari." i mean, seriously, we forgive it now, and as kids, we didn't think twice about it.

when this is all said and done, and all on enhanced dvd, i'll rent the whole lot of them, and watch 'em back-to-back(-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back), and see if i can just enjoy the entire saga and stop trying to think about it so much.

yup, once you start thinking about the squid-in-the-rubber-suit-with-weird-eyes called Admiral Akbar... you get into some mind-bending art-history aesthetic-perception stuff... don't worry, a large number of universities and art schools thrive on questioning/analysis aesthetic value judgement...

that's why renaissance painting is still so highly regarded, because most people still look at that and go, whoa, that's like, a photo... but soft...

if you get my drift.

the non-CG version of jabba the hut still manages to gross me out, especially when he's holding the scantily clad women by a neck leash thingy... i think that when a character transcends its execution/representation-on-film, that's more important than whether latex, rubber, or Maya was used....
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Akbar had a cool voice and some smart things to say though. I respected him.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Can anyone explain to me why Ian McDiarmid proves himself consistently to be a f0kking show-stealer everytime and still hardly exists beyond the SW franchise?

Perfect execution.

--B
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Can anyone explain to me why Ian McDiarmid proves himself consistently to be a f0kking show-stealer everytime and still hardly exists beyond the SW franchise?

Perfect execution.

--B

one of those british actor types that are really good in theatre, period drama, etc... in other words can be considered a thespian rather than just a mere actor

also as a british actor he is best potrayed as a villain in hollywood stuff, so that role has already been covered by his star wars work, which i agree is brilliant....

actually i would go so far as to say he's the only actor in ep 1 2 (and maybe 3) that appears to know what to make of the rubbish scripts... jimmy smits, jango fett, samuel jackson, ewan mcgregor, liam neeson, most of the time i was like, what the f8ck?? LIAM NEESON for god's sake!! shindler's list!! poor bastard had to try and act as a super skilled jedi in front of blue screens with lucas 'directing' him
  • Reply 35 of 39
    also it occurs to me that at least episode 3 has some good symbolism to complement the flashy visuals

for example in the trailer, palpatine vs yoda, where palpatine is metaphorically and literally 'dismantling' the senate seats... nice conceptual tie in to the graphics

rather than in episode 1 your just like okay, that looks cool, but what the f8ck are all this floating disc things about??
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Akbar had a cool voice and some smart things to say though. I respected him.

"we can't withstand firepower of that magnitude..!"

(return of the jedi)
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Exactly.

Oh-- is Palpatine Darth Sidious?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Exactly.

Oh-- is Palpatine Darth Sidious?