Nintendo: Revolution & free DS online service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nintendo announced free Wi-Fi online play for Nintendo DS owners today.



Quote:

With the official European launch of the Dual Screen gaming handheld occurring today, such wireless networking is also coming to the DS. When it begins - "later this year" - DS users should be able to connect to the gaming service wirelessly, whether at home or through Wi-Fi hot spots in hotels or coffee shops.



As one of several Wi-Fi games, Nintendo's in-house development team is creating a new Animal Crossing game for global Wi-Fi play.



"This is Nintendo's plan: make our existing game world better," said Iwata. "For us, this is a passion. This is a mission of adventure."




Also, Nintendo announced Wi-Fi on its upcoming console code-named "Revolution". And the processor will be made by IBM so let's go ahead and start the "OMG NINTENDO OSX PLZ!?" talk.



Quote:

In a keynote speech entitled 'The Heart of the Gamer', he outlined that Revolution will feature built-in Wi-Fi networking support to allow users to connect with each other wirelessly. The central processing unit of the console (codenamed 'Broadway') will be provided by IBM and the graphics engine will be developed by ATI (codenamed 'Hollywood').



And the new Zelda will be coming 4th quarter 2005. Hell yes.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 80
    Personally, I am far more interested in Revolution that PS3 or Xenon.



    Nintendo has always downplayed their hardware specs, but they always strive to have the most powerful system. It was that way with SNES vs Genesis, N64 vs PS and Gamecube vs PS2 (although the later introduced Xbox was slightly more powerful in some respects - but barely - and even that was only because Nintendo was caught off-guard by the MS entry a year earlier, when key development had already been completed).



    Nintendo always seems to stress software and the game experience, which I think is the best thing. I just wish they would talk up their hardware since everyone else points to the lack of that as a sign of weakness. In fact, I would not be surprised to see the Revolution as the most capable console of the next generation, with a faster CPU and greater graphics capabilities. It is jsut that Nintendo knows that this alone does not make a great experience. The experience comes with focus, but why limit yourself in regards to hardware? I don't think Nintendo will do this. they will have the killer system. I am hyped. I had the SNES and N64 (which had outstanding graphics in games like Mario, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong, Turok 1 &2, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda, etc. However, the system was difficult to program for and used cartridges so there were not enough of thesse games.



    I sat out the last generation because the Gamecube I felt missed the mark and the Xbox was not really an upgrade from the GC. The PS2 looked like it had graphics barely better that the Sega Dreamcast take one look at Soul Calibur and you see why).



    I eagerly await the nex round, though. The only systems that interest me are Revolution and PS3. I will wait until each system has been out a couple of months to see which I prefer. It does sound like nintendo is on a mission though, with free wifi, backwards compatibility, and the Revolution philosophy. I hope that it is not too "out there" so as not to alienate those of us who are perfectly happy usign a traditional control pad.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I agree with 9secondko. Although I have a PS2 and an xbox, I am eagerly awaiting the Revolution. After having owned and played these systems for nearly four years and one year respectively, I have to say that for the most part they are uninspiring systems (PS2 more so than the xbox) My last Nintendo unit was the SNES. It seems that this next round of systems are trying to become the be all end all, and Nintendo are focussing on games, innovation and fun as opposed to pure technology. This to me is more appealing. I just hope that the Revolution will have some sort of built in memory, be it hard disk or flash based. I am ready to switch back to Nintendo.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    first, off topic, majorly. but... has anyone played powerstone 2 on Dreamcast?(one of best *that generation of console*games ever)



    and, all these consoles werent really revolutions. Xbox got it's start, now the Xbox neXt,(Xenon, as u cal it) Revolution, and PS3 are undoubtably going to be a much bigger jump that from gen. t(well call the n64, ps1,) to u(gcube, etc.). this jump from gen u to generation v will be more like u to w. Revolution comes out this quarter if no unscheduled delays happen, Xbox neXt comes out early 2006, and ps3... I dont know. anyone know when? And Devil May Cry 3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER! even though i am loyal to nintendo.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Found this over on IGN:



    Quote:

    Q: What are Revolution's technical specs?



    A: Currently unknown.



    Rumors abound indicated that Nintendo could separately be working on two systems and that ultimately one would be chosen for retail. System 1 allegedly featured a 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 processor, 512MBs of RAM, and a 600MHz graphics chip. System 2 allegedly featured dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors. 256MBS of DDR Main Memory RAM, 128MBS of GDDR3 Video RAM and a 500MHz graphics chip. Both systems allegedly featured a built in 15GB hard drive. As of this time, these rumors cannot be validated.



    Wow, sounds like some good specs!

    Finally, a console with dedicated video RAM.....

    All anyone wants to talk about is the Xbox3 though...
  • Reply 5 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pins and needles

    [B]Revolution comes out this quarter if no unscheduled delays happen, Xbox neXt comes out early 2006, and ps3... I dont know. anyone know when/B]



    Revolution isn't coming out this year- it's coming in 2006 along side the PS3. XBox 2 is shooting for a November release of this year.



    For those of you who waited out this round on consoles- pick up a gamecube- it has an unbelievable top 10 games that are mostly THE best games from this generation. Plus you can get one used at EB Games or Gamestop for like $79. Plus Revolution is going to be backwards compatible with current gamecube games.



    Favorite games for this generation:



    1. Zelda: Wind Waker

    2. Resident Evil 4

    3. Metroid Prime

    4. Metroid Prime 2

    5. Super Smash Brothers Melee

    6. F-Zero

    7. Soul Caliber 2 ('cause you can play as link on the gamecube version)

    8. Donkey Konga

    9. Resident Evil 1 Remake

    10. Super Mario Sunshine

    11. Mario Kart Double Dash



    There are so many great games for the system that you can't get anywhere else but on a gamecube. I'm much happier with my gamecube than I was with my N64, maybe now it's because I have a job and I can actually buy games more often.



    PLUS- the greatest game ever is coming out for gamecube in 2005- Zelda! Have you guys seen the new trailer for the game? Jaw dropping to the fact that the gamecube is actually powerful enough to drive that game.



    Also, I just traded in my DS for a GBA SP, but I'm planning on buying a DS again once some of the games that were demoed at GDC come out (Animal Crossing Online, Mario Kart Online, Electroplankton, Metroid Prime Hunters, etc).



    I'm really looking forward to what revolution has to offer also. Wifi and backwards compatibility sound promising. I have a feeling it's going to be the middle guy as far as specs are concerned though- PS3 is going to be the most powerful, then revolution, then XBox 2.



    Peace

    -taco
  • Reply 6 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm pumped that Revolution is going to be backwards-compatible with the GC.



    Quote:

    I have a feeling it's going to be the middle guy as far as specs are concerned though- PS3 is going to be the most powerful, then revolution, then XBox 2.



    What would make you think that? Certainly not history, which has shown that Nintendo is either the top of the line or near the top when it comes to per-generation competition.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by groverat

    I'm pumped that Revolution is going to be backwards-compatible with the GC.



    What would make you think that? Certainly not history, which has shown that Nintendo is either the top of the line or near the top when it comes to per-generation competition.




    Well, if you look at the specs from IGN (which is not actual proof anyway) Dual 1.8GHz G5's...



    The XBox 2 is rumored to have a triple core 3+GHz G5 (which would make it more powerful than the revolution).



    Sony has invested it's own money into developing cell and nintendo hasn't done much- only saying that IBM is making the next chip.



    So my reasoning is- XBox is early to the party- impressive specs now, but in a year cell is going to be that much worse and the "base" chip that IBM is designing for nintendo isn't going to be as good as cell because there wasn't as much money poured in for it's development.



    Currently the XBox is the most powerful, then gamecube, then PS2.



    Although- gamecube is perfectly capable of pumping out graphics that match the XBox if programed/optimized properly. Look at Star Fox Adventures and Resident Evil 4 for example. Wind Waker is impressive also.



    Anyway, just a thought.



    //Begin Console Bashing Rant//



    What does XBox have exclusively? Halo, Fable, what else? Halo 2 was over hyped and I heard Fable wasn't that ground breaking either. I'd say the most impressive thing XBox has right now is Live. I have to admit- the thought of playing my friends on a game of Smash Brothers over the internet makes me drool.



    As for PS2 what does it have? Final Fantasy, GT, GTA, and a ton of mediocre platformers. Not much there either. Plus some of the graphics are horrible.



    What does GCN have? Majority of the top rated games of this generation plus most of the 3rd party crap that gets released. Even though the gamecube is not the most popular console or the most powerful, it has most of the best games. And games are what matter most.



    Case closed.



    //End Console Bashing Rant//
  • Reply 8 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tacojohn

    Well, if you look at the specs from IGN (which is not actual proof anyway) Dual 1.8GHz G5's...



    The XBox 2 is rumored to have a triple core 3+GHz G5 (which would make it more powerful than the revolution).




    None of that is official. That's a bunch of speculation and rumor. Remember how powerful the damned PS2 was going to be?



    None of that crap matters until the boxes ship, and they aren't even close.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    1. Zelda: Wind Waker

    2. Resident Evil 4

    3. Metroid Prime

    4. Metroid Prime 2

    5. Super Smash Brothers Melee

    6. F-Zero

    7. Soul Caliber 2 ('cause you can play as link on the gamecube version)

    8. Donkey Konga

    9. Resident Evil 1 Remake

    10. Super Mario Sunshine

    11. Mario Kart Double Dash





    I am with Tacojohn. I have noticed that most Mac users are fans of Nintendo. I guess that shows you that Mac users know what they are doing



    I owned an Xbox for around 6 month. I got tired of it, gut myelf a Gamecube, and I could not be anymore happy!
  • Reply 10 of 80
    I know that it is late in the lifspan of the current game systems, but I have foud in myself a renewed interest in Nintendo. Now I have a virtually perfect PS2 that I got in May 2002, along with 7 games in perfect condition. In today's market, what could I expect to get at a place like Funcoland in tade in value for these items? Would I be able to just trade straight up my PS2 for a preowned Gamecube? I am really stoked about the new Zelda game and this among other things is pushing my renewed interest.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DanMacMan

    I know that it is late in the lifspan of the current game systems, but I have foud in myself a renewed interest in Nintendo. Now I have a virtually perfect PS2 that I got in May 2002, along with 7 games in perfect condition. In today's market, what could I expect to get at a place like Funcoland in tade in value for these items? Would I be able to just trade straight up my PS2 for a preowned Gamecube? I am really stoked about the new Zelda game and this among other things is pushing my renewed interest.



    Heck yeah. You can get a gamecube used for $69 at gamestop now! And they usually have things like if you trade in 5 games you get some discount or something free.



    The first game I'd suggest is Resident Evil 4- I just beat it this weekend. Best. Game. Ever. The game play has been dramatically improved over the previous games.



    There are a ton of bonus features you unlock once you beat the game.



    After that pick of the first Metroid, Wind Waker, and Super Smash Brothers (Read the Manual)- get a wave bird or 2 and have some friends over to play smash- it's sweet.



    If you're anxious for the new zelda, check out wind waker- it's one of the greatest games of all time. The story and style are amazing. The Gameplay is kick ass too.



    Have fun!
  • Reply 12 of 80
    What?! The Sony is going to kick Nintendo's ass with the PS3. I don't even consider Nintendo a major contender anymore in the console wars. I believe the next generation console war is going to be b/t Msft and Sony not Sony,Msft,and Nintendo. And when the PSP ships on the 24th

    it's going to dominate in the handheld arena as well. With titles such as GTA, Gran Turismo, and Midnight Club coming out for the PSP as well as movies I dont see how Nintendo is going to keep up. I read in Game Informer that the controller for Revolution is going to be a touch screen controller. I sat there thinking to myself "What the hell is wrong with Nintendo?" Do they not realize that such a controller would not only be to fragile for the average gamer (you know how we love to mash the buttons really hard, one good mash with this controller and "CRACK" there goes the screen) but to expensive as well. Personally, I think if Nintendo doesn't get everything right with this next gaming system (none of that "It's only for playing games bullshit", I want to watch movies on it as well) they'll probably end up like Sega, making games for other companyies systems.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Is it possible for you to know less about something you obviously feel passionate about?
  • Reply 14 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I guess I'll expand since I'm bored waiting for a DVD to burn.



    Nintendo is miles away from becoming Sega. Nintendo is the only console manufacturer who actually makes a profit from its hardware sales. Frat houses aren't filling up with Gamecubes, but that hardly means the system is not doing quite well. You should learn the difference between yourself and the outside world, that should come after high school. Understand that just because you don't care about something you should not believe that no one else does.



    I am not interested in watching movies on such a tiny screen.

    I am not interested in GTA, Midnight Club or Gran Turismo.

    Others might be, but I am not, and I am not the only one.

    Shocking, eh?



    Further, what in the history of Nintendo would make you think that they are going to release a product that can't stand up to abuse? Their stuff is always durable as hell, you must be thinking about Sony. I have an NES in my parents' attic and I would bet money that thing still works. I have a friend who still plays Baseball Stars on the NES he bought new in 1988.

    The DS touch screen has proven to be extremely durable, and if there is any company in the world that could pull off a touch screen controller and make it last it would be Nintendo.



    Also, don't believe everything you read on the Internet about upcoming game hardware. Spreading that crap just makes you look gullible.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:

    I guess I'll expand since I'm bored waiting for a DVD to burn.



    Nintendo is miles away from becoming Sega. Nintendo is the only console manufacturer who actually makes a profit from its hardware sales. Frat houses aren't filling up with Gamecubes, but that hardly means the system is not doing quite well. You should learn the difference between yourself and the outside world, that should come after high school. Understand that just because you don't care about something you should not believe that no one else does.



    I am not interested in watching movies on such a tiny screen.

    I am not interested in GTA, Midnight Club or Gran Turismo.

    Others might be, but I am not, and I am not the only one.

    Shocking, eh?



    Further, what in the history of Nintendo would make you think that they are going to release a product that can't stand up to abuse? Their stuff is always durable as hell, you must be thinking about Sony. I have an NES in my parents' attic and I would bet money that thing still works. I have a friend who still plays Baseball Stars on the NES he bought new in 1988.

    The DS touch screen has proven to be extremely durable, and if there is any company in the world that could pull off a touch screen controller and make it last it would be Nintendo.



    Also, don't believe everything you read on the Internet about upcoming game hardware. Spreading that crap just makes you look gullible.



    The touch screen may be durable, but it lacks the tactile feedback that is found in a regular controller. I also don't understand why Nintendo tries to redesign the controller everytime it releases a new system. Sony didn't redesign the Playstation controller b/c everyone was used to and happy with the current design. I hope they use the same design in the PS3 b/c "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The big gripe I have with the DS is the lack of an analog stick. At first I thought this was because of design constaint but low and behold, here comes Sony with their handheld, and what does it have...wait for it...an analog stick. B/c of Nintendo's blunder Super Mario 64 (one of the best games of all time) for the DS is nearly impossible to play.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Protostar

    The touch screen may be durable, but it lacks the tactile feedback that is found in a regular controller.



    I bet no one at Nintendo knows that. You should write them a letter admonishing them over a GameFAQs rumor.



    Quote:

    I also don't understand why Nintendo tries to redesign the controller everytime it releases a new system. Sony didn't redesign the Playstation controller b/c everyone was used to and happy with the current design.



    Sony did re-design the PlayStation controller. The original PlayStation controller is not the same as the one that shipped with the PlayStation 2. Guess what the first one didn't have... an analog stick!



    And past that, what controller should Nintendo have stuck with? Might be kind of hard to play the new Zelda with only B A select and start.



    The N64 controller was nice, but flawed. The GC controller is the best of this generation of consoles. We'll see what they have to offer for Revolution.



    You are comparing a game company that has 4+ generations of consoles under their belt to one that has 2 (Sony) and 1 (Microsoft). And from Nintendo Generation 1 to Generation 4 there has been a tremendous shift in how games are played, whereas there is basically no difference in how games are played between Sony's first and second generations. Think about it.



    Quote:

    I hope they use the same design in the PS3 b/c "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."



    I can't stand the PS controller. Never have been able to. I honestly think people have just gotten used to it over time and convince themselves that painful hand cramps are just cool.



    Quote:

    The big gripe I have with the DS is the lack of an analog stick. At first I thought this was because of design constaint but low and behold, here comes Sony with their handheld, and what does it have...wait for it...an analog stick. B/c of Nintendo's blunder Super Mario 64 (one of the best games of all time) for the DS is nearly impossible to play.



    Nearly impossible != somewhat annoying. A good D-Pad can act very much like an analog stick.

    I use the touchpad+stylus to play Mario64. But there definitely should be a stick if you're going to put out games like Mario64.



    Fire up Metroid Prime:Hunters and tell me the touch screen+stylus is not a significant improvement over stick control for that gameplay.



    It's a different way of controlling, not inferior. And the DS is a gimmick product meant to try some new things out and see if they work, it's not like Nintendo is doing away with controllers and just giving players tablets.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,074member
    It all depends on what games you like. I have owned all three (xbox, gamecube, ps2) - I sold the xbox and never use the gamecube.



    PS2 - baldur's gate 1,2, champions 1,2, bards tale, demon stone, devil may cry, soul calibur II, gt 3, ssx 3, (and soon) god of war.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by e1618978

    PS2 - baldur's gate 1,2, champions 1,2, bards tale, demon stone, devil may cry, soul calibur II, gt 3, ssx 3, (and soon) god of war.



    Out of all those I know Soul Calibur II because I have it for GC.



    Devil May Cry sounds like a cool game, though. I have no idea what it is but I like the title.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    More fuel to the fire:



    Quote:

    "In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader, having generated $45 billion in game-related revenue from fiscal 1998 through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company, earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal 2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games division)"



    http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2005/3/22-83



  • Reply 20 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,074member
    Quote:

    Devil May Cry sounds like a cool game, though. I have no idea what it is but I like the title.



    http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/d...=devil+may+cry
Sign In or Register to comment.