Apple battling new scrolling TrackPad woes

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Internally, Apple has acknowledged a problem with its newly designed scrolling TrackPad currently shipping with its new PowerBook G4 models.

Shares of Synaptics, Inc. tanked over 20% in early February after reports revealed that Apple had ditched the interface solution designer as its supplier of TrackPads for the new PowerBook G4 series. Historically, Apple had tapped Synpatics for all of its laptop-based TrackPad solutions, starting with the PowerBook and later the iBook.

Instead, the new Apple laptops made their debut with a proprietary TrackPad solution, which the Mac maker internally sourced. But was it the right move to go it alone on the new TrackPad design? That's the question Apple insiders are left to ponder as the company's first PowerBook woes of the new year have surfaced.

In short, the performance of Apple's new patent-pending scrolling TrackPads, which lets users scroll through large documents by touching the pad with two fingers instead of one, has been inconsistent and unacceptable to some early adopters. Reports vary, but the most prominent issue appears to be random and erratic behavior of the TrackPads on the new 12 and 15-inch PowerBooks. A variety of other complaints include irritably slow mouse tracking, customers receiving shocks from the PowerBooks due to static electricity and TrackPads failing to respond at all for short periods of time.

MacInTouch, a website which documents customer experiences with new Apple products, has been compiling reports from consumers dissatisfied with the new TrackPads. "I?ve had six PowerBooks since the PowerBook 100, and I can definitely state that my new PowerBook G4 15" has a dysfunctional trackpad," said one of the sites readers. Another reader complained that even after her new PowerBook had been in Apple's repair depot for two weeks it returned with a TrackPad that freezes or is 'extremely slow.'

According to sources, the fury of reports has caused concern for Apple, which earlier this week reportedly published an alert bulletin to its retail stores detailing the problem, but asking employees not to acknowledge the issues to customers. Sources said Apple is attempting to isolate and correct problems with the new TrackPad by pulling back some PowerBook models, which has constrained supplies of the laptops at retail stores that would normally be working off 25 days of inventory at this time of year.

So far there have been little to no reports of TrackPad issues on the 17-inch PowerBooks, which remain in good supply. Customers who are experiencing problems with the TrackPad on their new PowerBooks should seek a replacement or repair from their local Apple retail store.

Synaptics, by the way, continues to supply Apple with scroll-wheels for its ubiquitous iPod music players.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    The track pad on my new 15" PB has been great and a I love the scroll function. In fact, at home on my powermac I keep reaching for the keyboard to scroll a web page up and down.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Not as fast as I'd like it, but it's an even better solution than Sidetrack.

This I say having a functional one.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The sad truth:

Apple's the BEST computer maker in hardware reliability... and even THEY aren't what I'd call remotely "good enough."

Looking at those failure rates of NON-Apple computers makes me cringe!
  • Reply 4 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

The sad truth:

Apple's the BEST computer maker in hardware reliability... and even THEY aren't what I'd call remotely "good enough."

Looking at those failure rates of NON-Apple computers makes me cringe!

that's why it is our job as mac users to keep the whining loud and clear

seriously though i think there have been challenges with the powerbook line... for the supposed top-notch-apple-mobile-computing-experience money can buy, there have been

1. white spot issues

2. 'peeling paint' on the palm rest (not pretty if you've seen it)

3. and now those trackpad issues

the 'static' on the powerbooks/trackpads used to be a warm, fuzzy, almost sensous thing if anyone knows what the hell i'm talking about... now in extreme cases the 'static' seems to be a bit more nasty...

i think my brother and i, along with my brother buying my dad an ibook last year, have convinced my dad essentially to just not bother with NON-Apple, despite how great the tempation of cheapness and this and that latest rubbish. our Applecare on our iBook g4 has already paid for itself with getting the lcd screen replaced free of charge (white spots were starting to show and then the screen just died one day)
  • Reply 5 of 42
    dbsdbs Posts: 2member
    Sorry about the mistaken post -- new here.

Just wanted to note that I received a 2005 17" PB which had the trackpad problem -- exactly as reported by others. I returned the machine for credit -- I'll wait until the problem is truly sorted out, which doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Can anyone explain to me why Apple goes into denial when these problems occur? It is very annoying to KNOW that there is a problem and yet be told by Apple that everything is fine...
  • Reply 6 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Because they have to approach it carefully. Or the inevitable headline will appear:

"New 'Improved' PowerBooks Unusable, Apple Admits Critical Failures Widespread"

All the while Dell laptops will keep dropping like flies without the attention from the press Such is Apple's fate.

In any case, Apple's responsibility is to FIX problems--which they are doing--and hold back defective units if a problem is widespread (for both users sake and their own)--which they are also doing.

No company is ever going to recommend that people NOT buy their products. And if you already did... then knowing your problem isn't unique really doesn't help you. You just need it fixed.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Because they have to approach it carefully. Or the inevitable headline will appear:

All the while Dell laptops will keep dropping like flies without the attention from the press Such is Apple's fate.

In any case, Apple's responsibility is to FIX problems--which they are doing--and hold back defective units if a problem is widespread (for both users sake and their own)--which they are also doing.

No company is ever going to recommend that people NOT buy their products. And if you already did... then knowing your problem isn't unique really doesn't help you. You just need it fixed.

I don't think he cares whether Apple gets bad press or not and frankly, i wouldn't either. So what?. Fix my damn computer!!!. As an example, i once got lingo voip phone service and couldn't get it to work, i called them and they didn't seem to acknowledge there was a problem. I returned equipment for refund. While they were busy denying i had a problem, they lost a customer to vonage. Apple has two choices, be upfront with the customer and defend itself more vigorously in the press or lose their customers to dell, espicially a switcher. I don't think a long time mac customer, even me, would switch. Too much emotionally invested.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    dbsdbs Posts: 2member
    Well, in my case at least, your headline (New PBs Unusable) would be absolutely correct -- the 2005 17" PB Apple sent me was unusable (I have owned several other PBs and have a 12" 867 and a 15" 1.25 GHz now; I know whereof I speak).

Would be interested to know your source for claiming that Apple is 'fixing problems and holding back units' -- most comments I've seen, on other Mac sites, suggest that the problem is far from "fixed" for many people, even after receiving replacements direct from Apple (so much for 'holding back defective units').

And you're not quite right about what I WANT from Apple: I EXPECT to be sold goods which are fit for their intended use; if they are not, I EXPECT the vendor to make good. I EXPECT this from Apple or Dell or anyone else -- it is the MINIMUM.

What I WANT from Apple is truthfulness and a bit of humility when they screw up. Too much to ask, I suppose?
  • Reply 9 of 42
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DBS

Well, in my case at least, your headline (New PBs Unusable) would be absolutely correct -- the 2005 17" PB Apple sent me was unusable (I have owned several other PBs and have a 12" 867 and a 15" 1.25 GHz now; I know whereof I speak).

Would be interested to know your source for claiming that Apple is 'fixing problems and holding back units' -- most comments I've seen, on other Mac sites, suggest that the problem is far from "fixed" for many people, even after receiving replacements direct from Apple (so much for 'holding back defective units').

And you're not quite right about what I WANT from Apple: I EXPECT to be sold goods which are fit for their intended use; if they are not, I EXPECT the vendor to make good. I EXPECT this from Apple or Dell or anyone else -- it is the MINIMUM.

What I WANT from Apple is truthfulness and a bit of humility when they screw up. Too much to ask, I suppose?

I had a problem with my latch on my powerbook. If my new one (should arrive Tuesday) has a trackpad problem, I'm getting a full-refund and buying when Tiger is standard and they've fixed the problem.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    i think though that something has gone majorly wonky on the PowerBook line... some f8ck up that i am sure management at apple is trying to chart the best strategy to avoid bad pr while keep its customers happy... or at least that's what i am hoping for

but it is very very weird i am sure you will agree, for a fairly late-rev line to have this much problems. iBooks moved into the g4 line a bit later than powerbooks and have held quite strongly on the quality side of things... sure, there were logic board and screen issues, but applecare generally just swapped those components out and voila, iBook back in action...

the fact that new/replacement Alubooks are still defective to some level is rather disconcerting at this stage. more so that, like i mentioned, the PowerBook is the professional mobile computing solution from apple

my brother in london had to wait 3 months because they lost his powerbook in the mail or something like that, i got my iBook lcd fixed in 1 week (5 business days) flat. this is just an anectdotal example of my current feelings on something weird with powerbooks especially the increased expectations of customers because of its large price premium...

</rant>
  • Reply 11 of 42
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I've had my 12 inch Powerbook 1.5 G4 for 3.5 weeks now. It is a beauty, and everything works perfectly.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    My 15" trackpad works like a charm. Fantastic. Scrolling side to side in Final cut is the BOMB!
  • Reply 13 of 42
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    My brand new 17" is sometimes having trackpad issues (not responding, cursor movement being slow) + I have gotten my fair share of static electricity shocks...

As the track pad problems occur randomly and very seldom (a few times a day) I have yet to isolate the triggering culprit.

Come to think of it I have much more troubles at work, especially a few minutes after it has awoken from sleep... track pad lag might be related to the computer checking remote units (ethernet)???

Still a great computer though. But I guess I need to file a complaint to Apple in order to get it on the guarantee (if it escalates) - especially since I haven't got Apple Care...
  • Reply 14 of 42
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kendoka

Come to think of it I have much more troubles at work, especially a few minutes after it has awoken from sleep...

In my experience, cold temperatures can make trackpads act kinda funny, so if it gets cold on the way to work, that might have something to do with it.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    This is a real bummer, and now I'm definitely going to buy a portable (either last generation Powerbook or new iBook) that has the old trackpad. Also, while the scrolling feature of the new trackpad is probably a lot better than SideTrack's scrolling feature, it's got nothing on SideTrack's other features, such as right-click taps, Expose taps, and tons of other programmable trackpad taps.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by nagromme

[B]Because they have to approach it carefully. Or the inevitable headline will appear:

Apple's fate is such, in my humble opinion, because their well honed image has placed them "above" the rest. When Apple behaves like all other corporate giants, they are treated differently because Apple wants to be seen as different.

Why not take the bull by the horns and be upfront with thier loyal consumers?This would show us--the Apple enthusiasts--that our trust in them is well founded AND show potential switchers that Apple may indeed be different.

I am dating myself here, but back in the Nixon era, if he had just admitted to screwing up rather than go to the lengths he did to cover up, perhaps history would have turned out a little differently. The point? Everybody makes mistakes. What you DO about them is what makes the difference.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zzzimbob

...it's got nothing on SideTrack's other features, such as right-click taps, Expose taps, and tons of other programmable trackpad taps.

Anyone know if this kind of mapping could be hacked for the new trackpads just as Sidetrack was for the old ones? (Alex Harper of Raging Menace, I'm looking in your direction!)

Or is it a question of an underlying incompatibility?

--B
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by zzzimbob

This is a real bummer, and now I'm definitely going to buy a portable (either last generation Powerbook or new iBook) that has the old trackpad. Also, while the scrolling feature of the new trackpad is probably a lot better than SideTrack's scrolling feature, it's got nothing on SideTrack's other features, such as right-click taps, Expose taps, and tons of other programmable trackpad taps.

i think the iBook 14" with 60gb hard disk, superdrive and airport extreme built in, at G4 1.33ghz, is offering some good value there... comes stock with 256mb built in, but drop in an additional 512mb piece from crucial/other online memory places for about $100, and i think you'll be in for a sweet cruise...
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Maybe this kind of thing wouldn't happen if people didn't let Apple get away with churning out inadequately tested merchandise.

Something has lately gone wonky with the PowerBooks? What about the self-destructing screens on the entire last generation? Yeah, the LCD that pressed against the keyboard when you shut the computer, eventually destroying it. Come on, you had vendors selling sheets of friggin' leather to drape over the keyboard so these oh-so-elegant computers didn't destroy themselves. Has this problem even been fixed yet?

Oh yeah, then there's three generations of iPods that all skip songs. Not to mention the battery-recharging problem.

This is what you get when the entire customer base brainwashes itself into stupidly deifying a peddler of merchandise. That's right, people, it's just another company. Its products could, in fact, be very good... but aren't, because you aren't demanding it.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    yminohyminoh Posts: 1member