Okay all you tech geeks, be prepared to spank your monkeys

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Free.fr is France's telecom players largest nightmare. They made their independent fiber network throughought France during the Dot Com madness of the 90s. They own their own fiber and do what they want, hence they were first to have TV via DSL, totally free telephony, etc etc...

If anything the usual suspects and chummies of the poiticians are trying to out manouver Free....

Anyway... not everything is subsidied around here.

And whats the beef with Europe? I very very much enjoy my 53 days of paid vacation this year.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

And whats the beef with Europe?....

unlike the US cafe actually means cafe and not StarBucks
  • Reply 23 of 35
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    The fastest DSL service that can be bought in the UK is 8Mbps as far as I know. Which isn't to shabby. But I would love 10Mbit up and down, must be great for hosting games.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    just did some wardriving around my neighbourhood

DSL is at max 1mbps at the moment

i feel like writing an anonymous letter telling some of these idiots to bloody change their SSIDs, there's like 2 or 3 'default's and 'linksys's

BTW

do you think it is a good idea to have your house number in your visible SSID??
  • Reply 25 of 35
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Hmm... I get 20 Mbps + down and 1 Mbps up with Roadrunner cable... got to love uncapped cable modems!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    funny... just today I find this article about some things Apple is doing/done that kinda backup my weariness of Apple..

Quote:

3 tales of how a bit of success has made Apple evil--you be the judge

First off, PC Mag writer, Lance Ulanoff, digs up some old news and rehashes the old iPod battery controversy in The Truth About iPod Batteries. Yes, the batteries run down--all do. Yes, Apple has a replacement program that may result in the whole iPod being replaced with a repaired or refurbished iPod--that is no secret and stated in the terms of the replacement program. Even Ulanoff realizes this when he concludes, "The iPod's a good player. Apple's not trying to pull a fast one, and some of you need to learn a little more about rechargeable battery care."

Secondly, there's CNET News' Ina Fried's article on how Apple seeks 'tax' on iPod accessories. This is in regards to the "Made for iPod" program that Apple launched at Macworld earlier this year. The article refers to, but neglect to link to the AppleInsider article which states that the "Made for iPod" logo implies a certification that "that iPod accessory manufactures can display to differentiate their Apple-authorized accessories from those that have not been approved by the iPod maker." Does Apple have the right to charge for such a stamp of approval?

And lastly, we have Apple steals iTunes customers' paid-for rights to stream, a Boing Boing piece posted by Cory Doctorow that points out a double-cross Apple has played on those who have purchased iTunes music earlier than about a month ago--you no longer have the ability to stream it to anyone on your local network as you were assured at the time of purchase. iTunes now limits the number of people you can stream your music to in a 24 hour period.

http://www.macmerc.com/news/archives/2108

It's not absolute proof or anything... I just think there is some anti-Apple feeling lately aside from the neverending "My OS is better than yours" eternal battle.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

funny... just today I find this article about some things Apple is doing/done that kinda backup my weariness of Apple..

http://www.macmerc.com/news/archives/2108

It's not absolute proof or anything... I just think there is some anti-Apple feeling lately aside from the neverending "My OS is better than yours" eternal battle.

umm is your post a bit off-topic?

umm anyway i'd rather eat a slightly over-ripe Apple, rather than a rotten Windoze orange
  • Reply 28 of 35
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

And whats the beef with Europe? I very very much enjoy my 53 days of paid vacation this year.

I think you're talking to me (??)

I have no beef with europe, that's like hating someone with cancer. If you want a 13% unemployment rate in exchange for all those "benefits" then why should anyone bother you? Live and let live.

I'm concerned with my own country more than anyone else's. The "us vs. them" mentality is partially why Europe can't reform properly anyway IMO (with the USA being the "them").

Again, I apologize for dragging this partially off topic, but ZO doesn't seem to mind
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I think you're talking to me (??)

I have no beef with europe, that's like hating someone with cancer. If you want a 13% unemployment rate in exchange for all those "benefits" then why should anyone bother you? Live and let live.

I'm concerned with my own country more than anyone else's. The "us vs. them" mentality is partially why Europe can't reform properly anyway IMO (with the USA being the "them").

Again, I apologize for dragging this partially off topic, but ZO doesn't seem to mind

europe is cool y'all, everyone's just cruising around in italy in vespas, going 'Chao....'

and spain you get officially sanctioned afternoon naptimes -- siesta...!

on a more serious note i think

germany, france, italy and spain face some overall economic challenges but the netherlands and scandinavian countries seem to have their sh1t together (probably just my own personal bias)

oh yeah the swiss and belgians seem to be doing okay too
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

strange, but here in the UK i'm on 256kbit halfband DSL and for the most part in fairly happy with the speed. I mean, what do you guys do with 10Mb+ connections?

I'm not downloading P2P music or Pr0n. Im quite happy waiting a few minutes for the occasional iTunes d/l, actually, I havn't ever come across anything on the net where I thought 'gee I wish my connection was 20 times faster'

"Dito"

What do they do with it. They certainly don't read what they are downloading (That's a side effect of data overload)

I Bet they don't read this !!!

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

strange, but here in the UK i'm on 256kbit halfband DSL and for the most part in fairly happy with the speed. I mean, what do you guys do with 10Mb+ connections?

I'm not downloading P2P music or Pr0n. Im quite happy waiting a few minutes for the occasional iTunes d/l, actually, I havn't ever come across anything on the net where I thought 'gee I wish my connection was 20 times faster'

well, 10Mb+ connection (not that I have one, I peak at 512kpbs at the moment, and then my neighbour and I shared router went down last week )

two words: BitTorrent

it is the tool of the devil -- the agentSmith-type-'virus' sent to take over ALL internet bandwidth within a few years

seriously, think about the Qwest ad from several years ago in the USA (US people)... any movie, any TV show, anytime, anywhere... it's coming very soon, and it won't be in a theater near you (well, it might be, but you won't really care)
  • Reply 32 of 35
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You're comparing the square miles of Denmark to that of the United States? Get real. Let's look at the national topography, shall we?

Oh wait!!! Where are those mountain ranges that slice through your enormous nation?

What the hell does the US Postal Service becoming privatized matter? We've got FedEX, UPS and several smaller but national companies that ship mail at the same rates.

Yep, choice is a bitch isn't it.

And before we wack off to 100BaseT ethernet and how its because of subsidation, need we remind you your operating system of choice isn't subsidized by the U.S. Government?

I will repeat: We're talking about Denmark.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/da.html

Shit there are more people in Miami than there are in Denmark.

United States:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/us.html

Please talk about scale when you have something to brag about.

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I normally get @ 10 mbit up AND down. In our quarter we build a network between all 2000 flats and rent a muthafucker line in we share. 100mbit network locally. We pay $20/month. We are planning to extend the service to include strategic areas in our quarter (like a large park we have just by the harbour) via WiFi to share the joy with our visitors from other parts of the town :-)

The only subsidized industry here is farming, which is the worst of all industries to protect because of the implication on third world countries. Even formerly state owned industries like the largest telecom company is competing on equal terms with outside players and we have one of the best and cheapest telecom industries in the world (like three mobile networks that each covers 98+% of the danish land mass).

BTW when is USPS going to get privatized? That must be one huge zit on your marked economic paradise.

• Reply 33 of 35
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

You're comparing the square miles of Denmark to that of the United States? Get real. Let's look at the national topography, shall we?

What the hell thread am I in?

edit: nm I just realized I started this. carry on. You also forgot that the USA does about 75% of the world's R&D and a third of the FDI (IIRC). And you forgot about the 2nd longest river in the world and that it's in the top 5 largest countries.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Angel of the Abyss

"Dito"

What do they do with it. They certainly don't read what they are downloading (That's a side effect of data overload)

I Bet they don't read this !!!

I'd bet trumptman is a real Pr0n conesseur!