Waiting for a Mac Mini

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRC

20" LCD that runs 1600x1200 (which will be what the mini will be running if it supports that high)

I an so envious! I use a 17 inch crt at 1024x768, I want to go higher, but the display can do a max of 1289x1024 at 60 hz!...that means I would go blind in half an hour...so if u want to trade..
  • Reply 22 of 25
    crccrc Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I an so envious! I use a 17 inch crt at 1024x768, I want to go higher, but the display can do a max of 1289x1024 at 60 hz!...that means I would go blind in half an hour...so if u want to trade..

Large LCDs are coming down in price... The one I have is the BenQ FP2091. It's pretty damn good from my experiances - and it comes with a 3 year onsite warranty - which includes a pretty good warranty against dead pixels... I have 1 faulty pixel on mine, which could get the screen replaced by warranty - which I'm looking at doing when I can get some time off to be there and wait for them to pick it up and replace. This is mainly just because I'm being picky
  • Reply 23 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRC

Large LCDs are coming down in price... The one I have is the BenQ FP2091. It's pretty damn good from my experiances - and it comes with a 3 year onsite warranty - which includes a pretty good warranty against dead pixels... I have 1 faulty pixel on mine, which could get the screen replaced by warranty - which I'm looking at doing when I can get some time off to be there and wait for them to pick it up and replace. This is mainly just because I'm being picky

after buying a 20" apple display (the older plastic one) and having some pixels dead-on-arrival, and discovering to my horror the apple warranty policy (3 or more dead pixels in the same area or something like that -- then only they'll fix it) my next LCD screen purchase will definitely include close scrutiny of the dead pixel policy in the 3-year-warranty.

as an ex-designer, really, even 1 dead pixel makes me very sad and uncomfortable
  • Reply 24 of 25
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Well, my Mac Mini finally turned up on Wednesday! Yay! It's lovely, really lovely, everyone at work was fawning over it while it was sat on my desk before I took it home! It's totally silent as well. I was expecting a little noise, but this thing is pretty much silent, with just that small white light to let you know it's running.

An absolutely beautiful machine, to be all the better once I put Tiger on it.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 25 of 25
    crccrc Posts: 8member
    I ended up finding a local apple store with a mac mini according to the specs I wanted!

Needless to say, I cancelled my order with apple, and I now have a mini sitting on my desk. I'm quite impressed so far - everything has just seemed to work. I like how applications are installed and uninstalled - is much more simple than *nix or WinXX.

There are a couple of things that are annoying me though - and I'm not exactly sure of the fix...

1) The bloody home & end keys on my keyboard don't work! Shift + Home/End works as expected - but the keys by themselves don't move the cursor!

2) I can't get the mac to work correctly through a KVM. When it's all hooked up, the keyb + mouse work perfectly through windows, but when switching to the mac, it misses keystrokes, and all kind of weird things happen. I have a Logitech Duo MX wireless keyb+mouse with a PS2->USB adapter to go in the mini. Ideas?