Apple expands focus of Mac OS X 10.3.9 with new builds

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is said to be expanding the focus of Mac OS X 10.3.9, the next and possibly final maintenance update to its Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" operating system. According to sources, the most recent build of the system (7W29) includes changes to Image Capture, Stickies, FAT drive support, Preview, DNS lookup, QuickDraw, Security Certificates, Keychain Access, System Profiler and Disk Utility. Developers had previously noted that Mac OS X 10.3.9 would also include enhancements to Networking, Bluetooth, USB, FireWire, SMB, Modem, Safari, Calculator, Data & Time, and the Terminal. Sources said Apple is asking developers to focus their testing efforts on several of the aforementioned system components, but is also requesting diagnosis of iDisk synching, display brightness functions, sleep functions, and performance of the iLife '05 digital lifestyle software suite. Mac OS X 10.3.9 is scheduled for release sometime within the next 6 weeks, sources said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Within the next six weeks? I hope Apple bring out 10.3.9 before Tiger is released
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rawheadrawhead Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Mac OS X 10.3.9, the next and possibly final maintenance update to its Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther"

wow, who could've guessed.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Depends, if they find that a significant number of large clients (or even just one sufficiently large one) aren't upgrading in the time that they find security fixes are needed, we may see 10.3.10 for them. More likely that we'll see Security Updates that target 10.3, instead of a full X.Y.Z release, but stranger things have happened.

(Don't let the decimal points fool you, there's no x.9 -> (x+1).0 at work here. These aren't real numbers.)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Depends, if they find that a significant number of large clients (or even just one sufficiently large one) aren't upgrading in the time that they find security fixes are needed, we may see 10.3.10 for them. More likely that we'll see Security Updates that target 10.3, instead of a full X.Y.Z release, but stranger things have happened.

(Don't let the decimal points fool you, there's no x.9 -> (x+1).0 at work here. These aren't real numbers.)

Once tiger comes out, there won't be any more maintenance updates to 10.3. There still will be security updates, but Apple has never released those as a .Z release (well, not in a long time). They've only been in those releases when they've been rolled up and included with a regular maintenance release.

Also, I seriously doubt they'd come out with a 10.3.10 release, if for no other reason as to avoid confusion with the general masses (you may understand that these aren't real numbers, but generally people don't, and get confused easily. Something like "Hey, I installed 10.3.10. But I see there's 10.3.9 out there. I'm 8 behind on the update cycle. I need to upgrade to that.")