Netgear/ Dlink/ Linksys Wireless Router Purchasing Advice

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Ah yes, that does make sense. I had imagined this is something you would do after you have established your network as desired (you won't be a noobie, by then, as well). If you "cloaked" your router at the beginning, that would certainly be headaches for all as you get everything running.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Ah yes, that does make sense. I had imagined this is something you would do after you have established your network as desired (you won't be a noobie, by then, as well). If you "cloaked" your router at the beginning, that would certainly be headaches for all as you get everything running.

the noobs i referred to could be other family members/ housemates... whining all the time, i can't connect, blah blah blah
  • Reply 23 of 33
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Once you connect successfully the first time, the identity will be stored. So it won't matter if they can "see a server" to connect to next time. It will know to connect by the name that was cached.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Once you connect successfully the first time, the identity will be stored. So it won't matter if they can "see a server" to connect to next time. It will know to connect by the name that was cached.

yup the noobs may include me \

in 10.3.8, WEP 128-bit ASCII key is remembered quite well by the Keychain...

more later, f8ck sometimes i really am tempted like one of the above posters to do a bloody CCNA or CCNP or something and get corporate cisco gear for the home wireless
  • Reply 25 of 33
    so i think Azureus or my portforwarding setup on the Dlink DI-724P+ is causing the router to stop responding on 192.168.1.1 (the web interface doesnt come up)

when this happens within a few minutes of starting Azureus, the iBook Airport Extreme pumps along like a champ but my poor neighbour's (ethernet wire connected..!!) pee cees get dropped from the network

oops nevermind, azureus is not running and the pee cees drop out anyway

hmmm

peoples feel free to chime in or ignore this thread as you see fit
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

so i think Azureus or my portforwarding setup on the Dlink DI-724P+ is causing the router to stop responding on 192.168.1.1 (the web interface doesnt come up)

when this happens within a few minutes of starting Azureus, the iBook Airport Extreme pumps along like a champ but my poor neighbour's (ethernet wire connected..!!) pee cees get dropped from the network

oops nevermind, azureus is not running and the pee cees drop out anyway

hmmm

peoples feel free to chime in or ignore this thread as you see fit

I use the official Bit Torrent client on my Mac and I tried port forwarding on my new router (I never did it with my old router), and when it connected, my internet was down - no Safari browsing or Adium messaging. My dad's Win ME and 98 PCs also couldn't connect. My bro's and mine Win XP computers were fine though!

I have turned port forwarding off and it seems to be running fine, although I saw a few hints of my PowerBook not connecting to the BBC with BT still on. I have absolutely no idea why port forwarding would affect anyone's net exploring. Unless, of course, I was using all the connection up, which I can assure you I wasn't. \
  • Reply 27 of 33
    um... NOT using beta firmware seems to have solved the problem for us for now

i'll stick to non-beta firmware upgrades for now

thanks for the feedback daniel...
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I was using the recent standard ones for my netgear router. Maybe I should get the beta for it then!
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I was using the recent standard ones for my netgear router. Maybe I should get the beta for it then!

yeah if you're masochistic go for it
  • Reply 30 of 33
    actually, i should note that once i enabled uPnP on the Dlink DI-724P+ router, Azureus was able to automatically configure the port forwarding on the router and show me the green smiley faces without me having to fiddle with router port settings and stuff (DMZ is disabled so i am behind the router firewall)

also iChat AV webcam/voice chat seemed to go well last night even with uPnP disabled, again, working through the router firewall, i didn't have to open any ports or stuff...

not all doom and gloom, but it is a brave new world of wireless routers and settings out there.

at the end of the day, i am VERY impressed with OS X.3 and airport extreme. my neighbours Centrino laptop connection is crapping out on him even though the wireless router is in HIS house.

techTV or somethin should start a show called "PiMP My RouteR"

edit1: the Dlink is HOT. as in temperature wise, correlating one of the above poster's experience. this could prove quite concerning but at the moment i'll see if i can melt it

edit2: ASCII (coz my brain don't work in HEX) 128-bit WEP encryption seems to be going fine... again Airport Exteme and the router is handling it like a champ. f8ck Centrino, although i hope to help my neighbour troubleshoot his pee cee wireless connection through this week :8
  • Reply 31 of 33
    hmm the router had some nice uptime (7+ hours) yesterday with my iBook and Airport Extreme. but i think once my neighbour tried to log on with his Centrino the router crashed

we seem to be going around in circles here, and i am tempted to ask, "are all wireless routers crap" like the above poster. the answer is yes. i am also tempted to ask, "why are wireless routers crap" which is like asking "why do people use windows"

i will try and refrain from further posting on this thread because i can provide no further information to actually make full use of this GeniusBar forum, instead, i will go and whine on my blog \

peace and good luck y'all with your wireless home networking. feel free to throw in praise/critiques of Airport Express Base Station as this has not been discussed much thus far
  • Reply 32 of 33
    I have had only two routers since first we got T-1 line first one was um D-link ethernet only. We used it for like less than a week and it burned out and i bought a Linksys WrT54G/B in year 2003 Now approximately 5 years old it works more than just fine me and my brother and sisters run internet play Games such as World Of warcraft and download tons of stuff simultaneously and it has not given us ever a problem.

SO I WOULD SAY LINKSYS ROCKS!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    I have had LinkSys for over 5 years no problem at all. I mean yes after 4.5 years i had some problem with wireless signal but when i started using the range booster from linksys it went away, and also as for my own PC i just replaced the antenna on my Network adapter. I had the orignal Antenna from linksys and now i have D-link Extreme N Antenna and everything is back to normal.

Roop