Adobe leaks Photoshop CS2 details

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe, Inc. accidently leaked details of its next-generation Photoshop CS digital image editing package on the Internet this week, revealing plans to introduce the software next month along with Creative Suite 2.0.

Company-authored documents, obtained by AppleInsider, say the new version -- due to begin shipping this May -- will bring "a new level of power, precision and control to the digital photography experience."

Officially labeled "Adobe Photoshop CS2," the software will feature advanced tools for digital photographers and video professionals such as a new Spot Healing Brush for correcting blemishes, and Smart Objects that will allow users to scale and transform images and vector illustrations without losing image quality.

Filling requests from video professionals, Photoshop CS2 will reportedly add support for non-destructive editing and the creation and editing of 32-Bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) images. A new direct export feature will let users view FireWire Previews on a TV.

Photoshop CS2 will also pack new creativity tools such as Vanishing Point and Image Warping, documents say.

"Vanishing Point cuts tedious graphic and photo retouching tasks by allowing users to clone, paint and transform image objects while retaining visual perspective," Adobe said in a press release apparently scheduled for April 4th, 2005. Image Warping is described as a feature that will reinvent workflows, such as product packaging development, by making it easy to fold, stretch, pull, twist and wrap an image into shape by selecting an on-demand preset or dragging custom control points.

Likewise, Adobe plans to improved the speed of imaging workflows with the addition of new Camera Raw features and an overhaul to the Photoshop File Browser.

With the debut of Photoshop CS2, File Browser will be upgraded to Adobe Bridge, which will function as a hub for productivity and imagery, providing multi-view file browsing and smooth cross-product integration across the entire Creative Suite software product line. Adobe Bridge will also provide access to Adobe Stock Photos, a new stock photography service that the company will offer to users as a one-stop shopping service for high-quality, royalty-free images.

Meanwhile, the new Camera Raw 3.0 workflow will support batch processing of raw files in the background and without forcing the user to launch the main Photoshop application. Additionally, the new version will allow settings for multiple raw files to be simultaneously modified, while new non-destructive cropping and straightening controls will allow raw files to be easily prepared for final output.

The new version of Photoshop will also add task-based menu presets, equipping users with tools to create their own custom presets, highlight favorite items and define eventbased scripts that execute automatically when triggered by actions.

According to documents, Adobe Photoshop CS2 will begin shipping in May to customers in the United States and Canada for an estimated street price of US$599; international versions are slated for late May and early June and icenses for users of any previous version of Photoshop will cost US$149.

Photoshop CS2 will also be bundled as part of Adobe Creative Suite 2.0, also slated to ship around the same time. The software suite will support Mac OS X version 10.2.8 through 10.3.8, Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or 2.

An official announcement of Creative Suite 2.0 and Photoshop CS 2.0 was previously scheduled for April 4th, 2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Wich compiler did they use? IBM VisualAge?

What's about MP improvments and AltiVec improvments?

G5 optimations?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    How about hooks to Tiger? Core image? If Tiger is eminent then Adobe will have had the code for long enough to use it in this release.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

How about hooks to Tiger? Core image? If Tiger is eminent then Adobe will have had the code for long enough to use it in this release.

Given that PhotoShop had to have a version tweak to run 'properly' on multiprocessor G5s, despite the presumption they may have had NDA knowledge or prototype dual mules to test code on (and the fact that Dual G4s had been out for a while), one might reasonably conclude that Tiger support might come at the latest from a CS 2.0.1 version a few weeks later.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

Doubt that they used much Core image hooks or other Tiger specific features. Its hard enough trying to keep the core together when dealing with multiple interfaces. Throw in a slew of OS specific image handling calls, and now you've got software that actually could produce different results on not only different platforms, but on the same OS but different architectures.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I read it will also have a customisable interface, to which I can only say - IT'S ABOUT TIME!.

Over the years Adobe have moved so many tools around, burried things under drop downs and so on. In many ways I find the older versions quicker to use.

But if this new update will really let me set up the UI exactly how I want it, with the tools I use in exactly the place I want them - and with custom keyboard shortcuts - then I will be a happy chap.

I am also still waiting for them to do some proper natural media stuff. Is there some kind of gentlemen's agreement with Correl on that front? I would love to see Painter's tools inside Photoshop, as I really dislike having to use the terribly clunky interface of Painter.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

I read it will also have a customisable interface, to which I can only say - IT'S ABOUT TIME!.

Over the years Adobe have moved so many tools around, burried things under drop downs and so on. In many ways I find the older versions quicker to use.

But if this new update will really let me set up the UI exactly how I want it, with the tools I use in exactly the place I want them - and with custom keyboard shortcuts - then I will be a happy chap.

I am also still waiting for them to do some proper natural media stuff. Is there some kind of gentlemen's agreement with Correl on that front? I would love to see Painter's tools inside Photoshop, as I really dislike having to use the terribly clunky interface of Painter.

I doubt that. Adobe has made moves to unify the UI across applications. Any control they give is boung to be fairly small.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    CS 2 Should be out April 7-9, 2005. (From what I've heard).

I've seen Vanishing point in action and it is very cool!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I doubt that. Adobe has made moves to unify the UI across applications. Any control they give is boung to be fairly small.

Unifying the UI doesn't mean you can't customize it. It would imply that if they allowed customizations, you could do it in all applications.

Oh, and I don't know about you, but I'm just waiting for Apple to file a lawsuit against someone over this leak.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Oh, and I don't know about you, but I'm just waiting for Apple to file a lawsuit against someone over this leak.

Reaching for a joke that isn't there.

I find it interesting that even though Tiger is gong to support 64 bit and XP will soon be 64 bit, that Adobe still doesn't appear to be prepared to address more than 4GB of Memory or support 64 bit instructions.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Reaching for a joke that isn't there.

I find it interesting that even though Tiger is gong to support 64 bit and XP will soon be 64 bit, that Adobe still doesn't appear to be prepared to address more than 4GB of Memory or support 64 bit instructions.

Tiger's not really going to support 64-bit (certainly not on the high-end level). Programmers can make 64-bit programs, but they have to be faceless (well, no Aqua face, guess you could do a terminal face) processes that the programs can call. But the 'main' program isn't capable of reaching past the 4GB barrier.

I'm not really sure what XP is going to be like in the 64-bit world, how it supports older software and what newer software takes advantage of it (i.e. 64-bit XP doesn't help the server guys if SQL Server and Oracle and IIS and all those other Window apps people use are still 32-bit apps).
  • Reply 11 of 31
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Doubt that they used much Core image hooks or other Tiger specific features. Its hard enough trying to keep the core together when dealing with multiple interfaces. Throw in a slew of OS specific image handling calls, and now you've got software that actually could produce different results on not only different platforms, but on the same OS but different architectures.

If Adobe doesn't do it, then someone else will.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Smart Objects that will allow users to scale and transform images and vector illustrations without losing image quality.

Really! Scale vector illustrations without losing quality. That's the whole point of using VECTOR in the first place. Seems they're trying to pull a fast one.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

If Adobe doesn't do it, then someone else will.

I think thats the point behind core image
  • Reply 14 of 31
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    Bleh. Another so-called major point upgrade, another major shellout of cash.

Anyone else tired of the continuing trend in the software industry to release a new version every year? I mean it's great they are releasing new versions; but it seems like the days of the "free update" are gone.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesG

Anyone else tired of the continuing trend in the software industry to release a new version every year? I mean it's great they are releasing new versions; but it seems like the days of the "free update" are gone.

Well you do get to preview your video work on an external monitor from within PS now via a Firewire plugin. Before you had to export your images and bring them into a video editing app. So that's a plus.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Tiger's not really going to support 64-bit (certainly not on the high-end level). Programmers can make 64-bit programs, but they have to be faceless (well, no Aqua face, guess you could do a terminal face) processes that the programs can call. But the 'main' program isn't capable of reaching past the 4GB barrier.

Apple is encouraging its developers to program 64 bit apps that can address more in memory than 32 bit.

That sounds like 64 bit support to me.

I suppose we shall see.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesG

this will help you in the years ahead with regards to software upgrades: there are no new features. just new macros.

all software plateaus, given enough time, and then mires in unrequested features (illustrator's lens flare tool comes to mind. wtf?), menu rearrangement and macro-esque assembly of old features to justify new purchases. photoshop could do just about everything you'd want back in versions 3 and 4; it'd just take you more steps (i have been told by those who spent the time learning the history palette and brushes that i am severely missing out, so maybe those are good, too). the next rumored versions of illustrator (and the current CS) won't be as much new as they are incorporating features from previous popular standalone apps and plug-ins (dimensions, streamline, hot door's multi-page plug-in). it's gotten to a point where, aside from maintaining system compatibility, you CAN get away with using every other release, BUT the app vendors threaten to kick you out of the "upgrade path nest" if you do so.

i haven't been keeping up with pricing for apple's pro apps, but i honestly think this is why apple charges a "lower" full price with each upgrade. they don't try the shenanigans of "upgrade path" (though they might someday). instead, you just pay the full price over again, but the full price is still vastly lower than comparable quality elsewhere. that's base solely off my casual observation, though. feel free to correct with solid numbers, if you like.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

photoshop could do just about everything you'd want back in versions 3 and 4; it'd just take you more steps (i have been told by those who spent the time learning the history palette and brushes that i am severely missing out, so maybe those are good, too).

5.5 was the sweet spot for me. I used it in Classic a long way into OSX. I use CS now, since it's a better OSX citizen than 7, but I sometimes miss 5.5 even so. I don't think I actually use any new features added after that version... I use the web stuff so anything older wouldn't be as easy for me though.

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

The "main" program? Why would a GUI need 64-bit addressing? Just split the front-end from the back-end as you should be doing regardless, and you have a proper 64-bit app on Tiger.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Really! Scale vector illustrations without losing quality. That's the whole point of using VECTOR in the first place. Seems they're trying to pull a fast one.

Um, that's a pretty clueless comment. Photoshop up until now has always rasterized vector data imported from Illustrator and elsewhere. It's not a vector application, so expecting it to handle vector is unreasonable. The fact that we get it now, better late than never, is most excellent.

The only vector anything Photoshop seems to support as of CS1 are those rectangle/ellipse/custom shape things... And they're semi-painful to use.

Anyways, most people are really underestimating the importance of this update. I mean, hello, non-destructive filters?!? This is huge news. Yes, people have been asking for this for years, and it looked as if the feature was going to debut in CS1, but whatever, it finally being here is very big news indeed. This is a huge productivity gain.

Also, any improvement to that horrendous File Manager in CS1 is a plus as well. (I mean, Adobe, what the hell were you thinking with that fake menu? Especially on the Mac version? Geez.)

Whatever, I guess we'll know for sure on Monday.