Calm down. Obviously there is more too it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    [quote] JYD - you show so little faith - do you own a Mac? If so, why'd you buy one? If you use it, why?

<hr></blockquote>

What does faith have to do with my computer? Not that it's any of your business, but I'm an atheist. Superstition isn't appealing to me.

Do I own a Mac? Yes, a Sawtooth G4 400, Radeon, OS X.

Why did I buy one? Because I love using Macs. I believe the OS is far superior to Windows. It's joy to use, in contrast to using Windows, which is so boring and ugly, both in appearance and in design.

Why do I use it? Because I need a computer for my work, and I also like to play with it, for CD burning, recording guitar, some games, surfing, writing, and wasting my time responding to dumbasses like you.

As for the hype comment...think about it. The less Apple has to hype, the more they NEED to hype. A G5 hypes itself...but a 100 MHz speedbumped G4 needs hype. Jobs needs to tell us that the future is here, because otherwise we would think it's still 1999 by looking at Apple's hardware.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    G-news, I think you mean Euros
  • Reply 23 of 75
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Perhaps these rumors are true

(I personally don't think they are)

but if they are then that means the other announcement is only bigger, only more groundbreaking. Apple WOULD NOT be hyping MW for the announcements these sites are saying.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. Anyone thinking all this hype is just to drum up interest in a PowerMac is quite mistaken. Jobs gets off on being a visionary, not a gearhead; he likes to show off things with the potential to change the way people use computers, and nothing we've heard about yet fits that description. I still think "one more thing" will be pretty cool.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Are you kidding me? I think you're the only one who likes the CRT that the iMacs have. I'd much rather have an LCD because it's easier on the eyes, more viewable area, and it takes up a lot less space. If Apple keeps the shitty CRT that they currently use (except for maybe the low end) it'll be a bigger flop than the Cube.</strong><hr></blockquote>

EVeryone stop NOT listening. I like my iMacS' screens the way they are TOO. I'd like SMALLER screens, TOO! Quit acting like everybody wants bigger screens. Bigger screens are a pain in the ass to find desk/counter space for. And they are usually pretty heavy for some people, too.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    I think that we should treat the $1800 thing like any other half-a$sed rumor.... I'll believe it when I see it. (hopefully it isnt true )
  • Reply 26 of 75
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    [quote]EVeryone stop NOT listening. I like my iMacS' screens the way they are TOO. I'd like SMALLER screens, TOO! Quit acting like everybody wants bigger screens. Bigger screens are a pain in the ass to find desk/counter space for. And they are usually pretty heavy for some people, too.<hr></blockquote>

Well, I guess you'll love the price cuts on the current iMacs come January 8.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

EVeryone stop NOT listening. I like my iMacS' screens the way they are TOO. I'd like SMALLER screens, TOO! Quit acting like everybody wants bigger screens. Bigger screens are a pain in the ass to find desk/counter space for. And they are usually pretty heavy for some people, too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If the iMac had a decent CRT then I wouldn't be saying anything. The CRT it has is shit. I don't mind small screens either. My iBooks 12.1" is great. All I'm saying in a 15" LCD has more viewable area than a CRT the same size.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I am with Applenut. Options include:

OS X for a brand of Intel machine.

Merger with someone, e.g. Disney (not likely) but someone of interest.

A radical new device (heaven knows)

The iMac, GhZ G4, etc does not cut it, unless it is a G5 with high speed, e.g. 1.5 GhZ.

Something we have not considered.

My 2 cents,

Dr. L
  • Reply 28 of 75
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The CRT used in iMacs is good, but it's getting old. I have both a 233 MHz Bondi Blue iMac and a 500 MHz Snow iMac. The CRTs on both have shown no sign of wear, but I will agree that people are looking for more with the iMac.

If the CRT hung around in a sub $700 iMac, I would think it was a good thing. Apple needs to keep a CRT iMac around so people who cannot afford to spend more than $1000 on a computer don't have to be limited to Wintel offerings.

So while everyone can go around complaining about the current iMac and it's screen, I think people would be sad to see it go if it meant pushing the price of Macs back above $1000.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Fran, you have a point about the whole price thing that's why the low end should definately stay with the CRT.

The CRT is good in the fact that both on my old Rev C and on my dad's Rev D there's no signs of it decreasing in quality or anything, but for 2002 it's not a good CRT at all. Back in 1998 it was fine but having it now is a little rediculous I think. Would a flat CRT be much more expensive?
  • Reply 30 of 75
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There was a good post by Amorph in a different thread about how the hype isn't about chip speed, like everyone here thinks. It's about digital hub and software-hardware integration, like iTunes-iPod.

We all know that Apple's biggest limitation right now is their price-performance. So that's what we want to change. But Apple is limited by others in that respect. When the G5 is ready, they'll release it as fast as they possibly can. But in the meantime, Jobs sees Apple's uniqueness in their ability to create a total hardware-software solution.

What we know is that there will be a beautiful new iMac at about 700-800 Mhz, faster PowerMacs maybe even with a dual 1Ghz, and perhaps even speed bumps to some laptops.

But is that all? It could be, but probably not.

My guess is that the iMac will do something special. The only thing I can think of is some type of digital hub connection with home entertainment devices. Here are some guesses:

1. It could have some of the features of <a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/mx/index.shtml"; target="_blank">that Sony Vaio MX</a> we were talking about a few weeks ago.

2. It could have the ability to link to third-party entertainment appliances like stereo equipment or TVs.

3. It could be another iPod-like device that uses some iTunes-like software to integrate with the Mac. Example: an Apple digital camera or camcorder specially made to link with Apple software like iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD.

4. Rather than a portable Apple device, it could be some appliance-like Apple device, like a DVD player/recorder that works seamlessly with bundled Apple software on the iMac.

4. It could be iPhoto software designed to work with third-party cameras, rather than an Apple camera.

5. It may have something to do with the new MPEG-4 standard and QuickTime. A TiVO-like PVR that compresses better with MPEG-4?

Just some hypotheses. Any other possibilities along these lines?
  • Reply 32 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>For once, I truly agree with applenut

(other random thought: what if the macminute/thinksecret source was canadian? then that'd be good pricing)</strong><hr></blockquote>

What if it was Australian -- the Aus $ is about 51 cents US !

Michael
  • Reply 32 of 75
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by hledgard:

<strong>Merger with someone, e.g. Disney (not likely) but someone of interest.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If apple merged with disney, wouldnt that be a conflict of intrest with steve and pixar?

Also, I dont see apple merging with anyone, steve has too big of an ego and would not want to share his power....

partnerships on the otherhand... (ie sony, that would be cool)

-Paul
  • Reply 32 of 75
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    you know what... it's more and more depressing to read the board... too much negativity... this is not good... and what's up with you Junkyard ? Apple is the only one in the industry to realize *the* Hype like this... maybe they will not deliver but... for now this is fun !

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: jeromba ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 75
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

EVeryone stop NOT listening. I like my iMacS' screens the way they are TOO. I'd like SMALLER screens, TOO! Quit acting like everybody wants bigger screens. Bigger screens are a pain in the ass to find desk/counter space for. And they are usually pretty heavy for some people, too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The vast majority would rather have bigger screens than smaller screens. That's just silly. You want more eyestrain or more productivity? The display is the single most important component of any Computer. I'm using a total piece of crap PC here, but I have a very good CRT on it. It's what you interact with most. More pixels mean less scrolling and smoother images, and bigger displays mean less squinting and better posture. A 17" Flat screen CRT or 15" LCD is the absolute minimum acceptable display.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    WTF? The CRT in the iMacs are just fine, unless you use a res. higher than 800x600.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Right. And 800x600 is not really acceptable anymore for anyone that wants to use a web page. XGA is the minimum for that.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>WTF? The CRT in the iMacs are just fine, unless you use a res. higher than 800x600.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly.

MacOS X needs at least 1024x768!!

Amorya
  • Reply 39 of 75
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>WTF? The CRT in the iMacs are just fine, unless you use a res. higher than 800x600.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mine is fine for 1024x768.... Or maybe im just used to it...

-Paul
  • Reply 40 of 75
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    umm, I'm running OS X on an iMac at 1024x768... looks fine to me