Should i get a IMac or PC?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    You're essentially looking for a cheap gaming machine, even though you're not playing games. You need RAM, a good vid card, a bit of speed, a bit of HD space, and you need it on the cheap. Apple can't give you all those things in 1 package.

I'd recommend building your own PC with good parts--asus mobo, good vid card, RAM, etc.

Probably come down to less than $600 for something faster and more usuable than the iMac.

Hell, for the money you save, you could put a mac mini and a KVM inside the PC's case and have the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

That's what the Macs prefect for, unfortunately Photoshop doesn't take advantage of more than 2GB RAM or the 64-bit (i think), or CoreImage and there's just been an update. BUT the version on the Mac is better than Windows (some Acrobat features are missing however). I'm using a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz with 1 GB RAM 128 MB VRAM and Adobe Creative Suite 1.1

It has been reported that Photoshop CS2 for Mac will allow you to take advantage of more than 2GB of RAM

Also it's a bit of a dirty hack but someone else has tried it and it works if you have say, 4GB of RAM, assign 2GB max for Photoshop CS1, make a 1GB RAMdisk, assign ram disk as primary Scratch disk, voila..! 3GB of Photoshop goodness in RAM *sigh* that's beautiful *sniff*
  • Reply 23 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Get and iMac or a PC. Don't get a Power Mac. They're overpriced and not that cool. But if you've got a load of money, i guess the power mac would be great.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

assign 2GB max for Photoshop CS1, make a 1GB RAMdisk, assign ram disk as primary Scratch disk

How do you make a RAM disk? Is this something OS X is capable of out of the box?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

How do you make a RAM disk? Is this something OS X is capable of out of the box?

you can use Rambunctious

http://www.clarkwood.com/rambunctious/