Apple aiming to launch first Canadian store in April?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to historically reliable sources, Apple may be planning to launch its first Canadian retail store sooner than it had anticipated. The company in February stenciled a sign outside the future location at the Yorkdale Shopping Center, announcing a grand opening date of May 21, 2005. But not long after it appeared, the sign was was replaced with a note from mall management, explaining that a specific date had yet to be set. Sources now say Apple may be aiming to open the store sometime in late-April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Now I do a dance.

Not that I'll actually buy stuff there, but it will look all cool and shiny.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have my doubts about an April opening. I peeked through the doors a week ago and the place looked nowhere near completion. There was no ceiling in, no flooring, boxes everywhere. Granted there were a few warm bodies there who appeared to be going over plans at around 9 pm so maybe Apple Ca has got them burning the midnight oil. Still, they've got a long way to go.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Sigh.

Well I'm not doing anything important today, maybe I'll go check it out.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    According to ads in the free Toronto commuter papers, Yorkdale is having the Grand Opening of their new section of mall.

And the add mentions an Apple Store. Time to check out if it's true...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Confirmed. I know someone who actually interviewed for a job there, but it was only in desperation at a temporary state of unemployment. Since then, he's found a real job, so he won't be following up...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Actually the Apple store is not in the recently opened new section of the mall. This has been fairly obvious for a while since they've had a clearly painted-logo'd wall up in front of the store location they are developing (in the main part of the mall) for some weeks. If you know Yorkdale, is quite close fo the fountain area that hosts Santa every Christmas (ho ho ho, I know what I'm getting next year ).

There have been a number of reports over on ehmac.ca about this including s photo of the work going on inside. Looks like they are a few weeks away and there is (wishful?) speculation that they might try to get open in time for Tiger launch day. When one of the posters actually asked one of teh foremen a few weeks ago for a target launch day, however, they were told "mid-May" so, that is the most concrete piece of info that's out there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Any update on a possible opening date?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Any update on a possible opening date?

Store employees have been told that Friday May 20 is the day.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Thanks!

I am sorta looking forward to it. Not because I'll spend any more there than any other Apple suporting store, but because I'll be able to easily get to use hardware that the smaller stores don't carry.