Report: Apple contracts chips for new mobile multimedia device

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    i'm thinking more along the lines of qt7 embedded so you can do things like use flash content, keynote presentations, movies and of course serve up your music
  • Reply 22 of 38
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merlion

Yes sir! The K-man once again opens the eyes of the non-believers.

I predict Apple will come out with something new within the next 5 years. Praise me! Worship me!
  • Reply 23 of 38
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    With your track record? Shyeah.

• Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Kormac, and his i**** is the longest running joke in AI history.

No, the people who believe in him are. They cannot grasp the fact that if you name every single possibility you are probably going to be right at least once. He has predicted everything under the sun. When an event comes up he talks about what will be seen and when it doesn't happen he says it has been delayed. Same thing happens with the next event and the one after that and the one after that until one day maybe one of the hundreds of possibilities comes remotely close. Then people are like "Oh Kormac you are the air I breath, my reason for living! I want you inside me!" I've never known any company to delay a product 35 times in a row yet five years later nothing has changed and yet they still believe him. This i**** of his is as old as Appleinsider. It's fine to speculate. That's what this forum is for. To actually believe he is an insider however is monumentally stupid.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

With your track record? Shyeah.

I have no track record so I'm one step ahead of Kormac.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Then people are like "Oh Kormac ...I want you inside me!"

Dude, you need to get out more!

\
  • Reply 27 of 38
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

No, the people who believe in him are. They cannot grasp the fact that if you name every single possibility you are probably going to be right at least once. He has predicted everything under the sun. When an event comes up he talks about what will be seen and when it doesn't happen he says it has been delayed. Same thing happens with the next event and the one after that and the one after that until one day maybe one of the hundreds of possibilities comes remotely close. Then people are like "Oh Kormac you are the air I breath, my reason for living! I want you inside me!" I've never known any company to delay a product 35 times in a row yet five years later nothing has changed and yet they still believe him. This i**** of his is as old as Appleinsider. It's fine to speculate. That's what this forum is for. To actually believe he is an insider however is monumentally stupid.

Don't know of anyone who believes he is an insider. Kormac will even tell you he isn't. Hell, I don't even believe he is actually Korean. If he is however, he's most likely Kim Jong Il. One thing is certain, this place would be boring without him. He gives some of us something to dream about and sometimes makes us think. Others he makes laugh. Still others he just pisses off.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    ^^^

What he said.

Where is matsu with his vein-popping expletives when we need him?

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 29 of 38
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Well, this might've been something, but like the ATI breach at MWNY a few years ago, this will now be shelved and never seen again!

Plus, why would apple get into this market? Sure, macheads would buy this stuff, but would it better than a PSP or Gameboy whatever to actually turn a decent enough profit (Keeping in mind Apple's incessant need for high profit margins).

Oh, and I think its the iWalk! Finally here after several false starts! Or the iPhone! Or Apple's portable DVR (now that's what everyone needs! A Tivo in your pocket!) Plus, I certainly can't imagine Apple releasing this before Asteroid. That would be just incomprehensible!

And you people do realize that Apple spends a lot of money on R&D projects that never get too far. You need to keep in mind this could be just another one of those.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Dude, you need to get out more!

Come on, that was moderately funny. I'm just kidding around for the most part though there are a few who actually think he is an insider. I'm pretty sure Kormac and Kim Cap Sol are one and the same, someone we know from this messageboard in disguise. There were even a couple different Kormacs once upon a time.

We all know Apple is up to something. Otherwise they wouldn't be hiring people with video codec skills for the iPod team. Not necessarily an iPod though as the iPod team works on other things these days. They are even given the dubious distinction of designing the new iMac. Jobs must have Ives locked up in a closet somewhere. No one has heard from him in over a year.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    "Where were you when the hammer flew?"

Ducking!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Come on, that was moderately funny. I'm just kidding around for the most part though there are a few who actually think he is an insider. I'm pretty sure Kormac and Kim Cap Sol are one and the same, someone we know from this messageboard in disguise. There were even a couple different Kormacs once upon a time.

We all know Apple is up to something. Otherwise they wouldn't be hiring people with video codec skills for the iPod team. Not necessarily an iPod though as the iPod team works on other things these days. They are even given the dubious distinction of designing the new iMac. Jobs must have Ives locked up in a closet somewhere. No one has heard from him in over a year.

I know you were kidding. But that imagery ... Eww!

• Reply 33 of 38
    Just a thought.... What if this new device also has a Foveon and a Cell chip?
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Go to this page. It has the Tech specs:

http://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/po...NEWSART_112272

The display capabilities are intriguing:

Display: Multiple LCDs up to XGA resolution plus PAL/NTSC analogue output

Yeah, but:

Serial Interfaces: USB 1.1 slave, I2C master, SPI master and UART

USB 1.1? Methinks this needs to be bumped to USB 2.0.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Just a thought.... What if this new device also has a Foveon and a Cell chip?

If it has a Cell chip, would it need this Alphamosaic chip? Cell alone should be more than enough, IMHO. But then again, what do we know of the capabilities of the Alphamosaic chip selected by Apple?

My speculation is, this is going to be a non-personal-computer digital hub. So far, if you have an iPod, you need a computer to load up the songs or to buy songs from iTMS. If you have a digital camera, you need a computer to unload or print the images. What if this thing is a stand-alone digital hub? You connect this thing to your iPod, your digital camera, your TV, the Internet, your computer, etc. and small enough to carry it with you at all times?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Just a joke. Combining all three mythical chips that we have predicted Apple will use in something or another.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You forgot a low-power G6...
  • Reply 38 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squirrel_Monkey

Yeah, but:

Serial Interfaces: USB 1.1 slave, I2C master, SPI master and UART

USB 1.1? Methinks this needs to be bumped to USB 2.0.

Yeah, you are right about the serial. Maybe it's not being used for I/O, but for control interfacing, the way monitors sometimes use it for auto color correction.

Or something like that.

Or not.