Feds wanna shunt iTunes growth

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

iTunes will convert music your rip from your own CDs to MP3, but it won't convert music you buy from the iTunes Music Store into MP3 unless you use a roundabout method, like burning your iTMS purchases to a CD, then ripping from that CD.

That would not exactly be doing it in a round about way, more so it would be just using the software as advertised. A round about way would be to play the CD from your stero, with your stero feeding into your Macintosh and then recording the music into something like Amadeus II or something.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but Apple should open up the iTunes and the Music store to non-Apple players. iPod clearly has the brand name in the category and it would be much better from a PR standpoint that Apple do it voluntarily than the Feds make them do it.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If a player supported AAC then Apple may start a dialog about permitting FairPlay DRM support. However, if the hardware doesn't support AAC there's nothing Apple could do.

I don't see them licensing it to the little guys. If anyone gets access it will be the big companies like Rio, Creative, Motorola, etc., as they are less likely to abuse the license.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but Apple should open up the iTunes and the Music store to non-Apple players. iPod clearly has the brand name in the category and it would be much better from a PR standpoint that Apple do it voluntarily than the Feds make them do it.

Agreed but it's still too early. To reap any rewards from licensing Fairplay Apple is going to have to expand the iTunes universe to encompass more than just the iPod.

Moto's iTunes supporting cell is a step in the right direction. Despite what people say I don't view Apple's current position as being insurmountable. They still need another year of domination and growth before they can considering themselves even remotely safe.