No ads for Mac Mini

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

- Apple doesn't have any control over the discounts offered by its resellers. Apple sells its products at a defined wholesale price to resellers. How they choose to markup the products is their decision.

Great PR responses! I just respond to the one above as I am under the impression that Apple sets a strict minimum advertised price (namely $5 under retail) for their dealers. The dealers of course can get around this by throwing in free stuff.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Great PR responses! I just respond to the one above as I am under the impression that Apple sets a strict minimum advertised price (namely $5 under retail) for their dealers. The dealers of course can get around this by throwing in free stuff.

That is interesting. Didn't know that. Seems potentially illegal (price-fixing) to me...but I guess not.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    It seems illegal to me too - fixing prices - but no one has taken any action on them yet. Interesting.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    It's not fixing prices in economic terms, as it's not a whole market, just it's own stuff.

Price fixing can only be done by a government or a series of companies.

For instance, the big 5 music companies got together a while back and colluded to keep CD prices high (this was in the height of napster.. morons...). Anyways they were found guilty and had to pay something like $65 million.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Well, back to the topic, the recent sales of macs is hot to say the least at over 1,000,000 units for the quarter ending March 26. I have seen minis available at Apple stores, Micro Center, and Best Buy. The ipod is doing advertising for apple just fine for now. 8)

So if you already got the word of mouth out on the mini, what can top that?

I do agree that a mini/mini (ipod/mac) combo deal sounds like a great idea.

-Aqua Mac-
  • Reply 26 of 28
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Finally, we have no idea how effective Dell's ads are. Just that they do it.

It's safe to assume that Dell's ads are "effective", since they continue to "do it."
  • Reply 27 of 28
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    We all know the Mac mini is selling well, but someone figured out just how well. On an average, Apple sold 2000 units per day during this last quarter. At that rate, it is selling 730,000 per year. Considering that supply was limited and retail stores had none in stock for most of this last quarter, I'd say the mini is now selling much better. It would be easy to see this number double, but I predict even greater sales. I think we were seeing sales to early adopters, mostly. Average consumers and impulse buyers will soon pick up the pace.

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/42346.html
  • Reply 28 of 28
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

It's safe to assume that Dell's ads are "effective", since they continue to "do it."

You have obviously never worked for a big company. Big companies do lots of things that don't work...and they continue doing them. It is almost a pathology in bigger companies.