16x9 Aspect Ratio Coming?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

I despise this aspect ratio.

I am very much attracted by it, and I think it will be the wave of the future as far as computer displays go in the industry. You might want to get used to it.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You'll notice that virtually all sizes of computer display are standardizing around a 16:10 ratio, and yes, it is more pleasing to some. It's also more useful, a little extra vertical space helps in a lot of ways. Room for menubars, full pages, less scrolling.

HDTV is 1.78:1 (16:9), but this comprimise is meant to emphasize the widescreen effect while not distorting the prodigious library of 4:3 material too much. (as a side note, it's amazing how many anorexic hollywood actors look just about normal when 4:3 is stretched to fit 16:9, haha...)

Film is available in a few popular aspect ratios, and they're all over the map.

1.33:1 (4:3) prior to 1950, but there are some notables afterwards as well.

1.66:1 Lotsa euro films

1.78:1 and 1.85:1

2.35:1 big panavision epics

and there's more coming, digital aquisition formats like 2K and 4K have been proposed that are 2:1

It goes on and on...

None of them are right or wrong as a way of creating and presenting content, so for a computer display, the ratio is steered more by the kind of work that one will do on the display. The are plenty of people who will just as well appreciate a little more vertical space as the would width. Graphic designers, photographers, architects... all depends on what you're doing.

16:10 is perfect for computer displays, that also display HDTV content, and it's very nice for larger laptop screens -- keeps them from getting too tall. 16:9 is good for the next 20-30 year's worth of HDTV programming, but that doesn't mean the computer displays will standardize to it. In fact, editors working on 16:9 content may like a good old 4:3 display. Imagine 1920x1440? Not only do you display the entire frame, you can keep some significant UI control visible beneath it...

Just a few thoughts...
  • Reply 23 of 27
    True, Matsu.

I wonder if the 1900x1200 resolution 17-inch PowerBook is coming tomorrow at the Apple NAB conference. I notice on the MacPrices site that the 17-inch PowerBook is out of stock with a 4-6 day wait.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    I think pismox was on the right track: 1280x720 is the resolution for HiDef 720p (typical resolution for HiDef DLP displays).

Year of HD, indeed. Wonder what they're up to?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Why would they use a 3rd party projector as the source for a clip on their site highlighting their new OS?

By the by, here's another clip just put up on Apple's site demonstrating Apple's new version of Final Cut Pro announced at NAB today.

Again another 16:9 clip scaled down from 1280 x 720 ? the dimensions of a display not in Apple's Current Product line - up
  • Reply 26 of 27
    nutrixnutrix Posts: 10member
    I would really like to see 16:9 in the 30 inch display.

I believe it has reached its vertical "limit."

Who knows, they may put 16:9 into a mid-sized display. Apple has a tendancy to surprise where possible. Or maybe, but far less likely in my opinion, they will allow the current displays to letter box as 16:9 in the main system. Or maybe they are just showcasing how beautiful their new HD H.264 will be and further videos, trailers will be in this ratio.

Nutrix
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

True, Matsu.

I wonder if the 1900x1200 resolution 17-inch PowerBook is coming tomorrow at the Apple NAB conference. I notice on the MacPrices site that the 17-inch PowerBook is out of stock with a 4-6 day wait.

I've been holding off on upgrading my Powerbook for this!

My plans have been to buy a 15" Powerbook, since I've always been of the mind that the 17" is just too big. The only thing that will get me to make the jump to the 17" is if it has this high-res screen.

I wish they'd hurry it up.