TS reveals specs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boots

Sit down and chart Intel's clock speed progress since 2003, while you are at it.

Summer 2003: 3.4 GHz

Spring 2005: fill in the blank..

Thank you. Please, all, don't forget how bad the "MOT days" were. For it to be comparable, the G5 would have had to been scaled back to 1.7 GHz after the original 2.0 announcement, and only then would we have seen a "bump" to 2.0. And meanwhile, Intel/AMD wuold have shot up to something like 8.0 GHz. (Of course, the one plus would be that all PMacs would now be Quads instead of duals...)

IBM is doing incredible work. Even if TS's apparently underwhelming specs are accurate (and Nick's record is pretty much second to none...well, maybe Matt Rothenburg (the original Mac the Knife) had a better record, but he's been out of the game for a while), that means that Apple's speed has increased 35% in less than two years while Intel has increased 0%.

Now if you want to complain about a stagnating mobo, or a lack of video card options, that's completely different.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    I have a pretty good feeling that Apple is going to announce the 970MP on April 17th (and not only Pro software upgrades)...

Why?

Well, on MR/AI:

"Meanwhile, according to Appleinsider Apple will be holding a special invitation-only event on Sunday April 17th, 2005 to launch a number of updates to their software products (Final Cut, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Shake) as well as the possiblity of a brand new application"

I think this is a trick. Apple is merely trying to grab the "dual-core" upper hand. It is rumored that AMD is announcing Dual-Core processors on April 21nd. A few days earlier, Intel tried to one-up AMD, and announced they plan to hold an event on April 18th...and just this week pre-announced their dual-core production plans.

I think Apple is trying to one-up them all buy holding their event on Sunday, April 17th and launch an updated Power Mac with dual-core 970s.

That's my guess...

-dkillian
  • Reply 83 of 138
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dkillian

I think this is a trick. Apple is merely trying to grab the "dual-core" upper hand. It is rumored that AMD is announcing Dual-Core processors on April 21nd. A few days earlier, Intel tried to one-up AMD, and announced they plan to hold an event on April 18th...and just this week pre-announced their dual-core production plans.

I think Apple is trying to one-up them all buy holding their event on Sunday, April 17th and launch an updated Power Mac with dual-core 970s.

Although I'm pretty skeptical, the fact that this event is so close to other dual core announcements, is a glimmer of hope they will announce dual core as well. But on the other hand, G5's still have same day shipping.
  • Reply 84 of 138
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Although I'm pretty skeptical, the fact that this event is so close to other dual core announcements, is a glimmer of hope they will announce dual core as well. But on the other hand, G5's still have same day shipping.

You guys thinking that 970MP systems may come at NAB, better be prepared for big disappointment. Even the alleged minor bump circulating here is not going to happen at this event. At least that's what the available evidence makes me to believe.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You guys thinking that 970MP systems may come at NAB, better be prepared for big disappointment.

No doubt - but why on earth would Apple have an invitation only event *on a fucking Sunday? It just doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 86 of 138
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You guys thinking that 970MP systems may come at NAB, better be prepared for big disappointment. Even the alleged minor bump circulating here is not going to happen at this event. At least that's what the available evidence makes me to believe.

I agree, we'll see something for WDC not earlier.
  • Reply 87 of 138
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

but why on earth would Apple have an invitation only event *on a fucking Sunday? It just doesn't make sense.

Hmm, because of that?
  • Reply 88 of 138
    You really think Apple will stand by and let Alienware/AMD's new

workstations steal the show on Monday.

Unless Apple wants to kick back and see what the competition is offering before they answer at WWDC?

I prefer to think that Apple's Sunday press conference has the competition in mind.
  • Reply 89 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hmm, because of that?

Yeah, I know THAT. But why would they release software on a Sunday? Whats wrong with Monday?
  • Reply 90 of 138
    Quote:

Yeah, I know THAT. But why would they release software on a Sunday? Whats wrong with Monday?

This is what's wrong with Monday

http://www.nabshow.com/press/press_c...ces.asp#Monday

Alienware unveils two new AMD-based computer systems, the Roswell 7550 desktop workstation for video editing, content, and design professionals, and the Aurora: Star Wars Edition.

Workstation Wars the final chapter
  • Reply 91 of 138
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

No doubt - but why on earth would Apple have an invitation only event *on a fucking Sunday? It just doesn't make sense.

Because NAB starts on Monday. I don't think Powermacs are coming but Apple will show off the new Pro apps. They did the same thing last year.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/apr/18fcp.html

Note April 18th,2004 was Sunday.

I don't think new Powermacs are coming. There are no hints in the channel that Powermac/iMacs are low in inventory. I almost think TS is trashing its accuracy on purpose.
  • Reply 92 of 138
    Well, it seems to me that Monday would only be a problem if Apple is releasing hardware.
  • Reply 93 of 138
    Yes O.K. and the new " secret" application will be

iSloth, for the Professional who works by the hour
  • Reply 94 of 138
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I agree hmurchison, if history is any indication, Apple will demo their current and new pro apps for attendees on the sunday before NAB.

Without the normal inventory cues, there is little to indicate that new powermacs will be released. It is however possible that new powermacs get announced... with a ship date some number of months in the future.
  • Reply 95 of 138
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I don't know how many times think secret has been right but I can recall their spec matches apples releases point for point quite a few times. I think that many of you have lost yourselves in technology ecstasy. First PCIe is largely fluff and its not clear as to what the real world benefits would be for DDR2 other than insane RAM prices. Apple is never the first to adopt new technology. Apple may be about innovation but they don't just cram any new tech into their computers. DDR2 is not yet a standard like DDR400 is and either is PCIe. I doubt the new powermacs will have DDR2 or PCIe honestly, and I highly doubt dual cores will be available until the next update. Perhaps Jan 2006 we'll see the kind of updates that the majority of you are professing as needed right now. It would be nice if we could make it to 3Ghz though as 2.7ghz is just a depressing number all around.
  • Reply 96 of 138
    I hope TS is totally wrong on this one. If these specs are real, then Apple is having worse problems with IBM than we know of.

The dual CPU low end tower suggests that these are indeed single-core CPUs, since Apple would never ship a twin dual-core CPU as the low end tower. The wheezy 512k L2 cache also suggests that these are not the 970mp Macs we're looking for. Yet despite this evidence, TS seems to think that the "notes" point towards 970mp Powermacs? Odd.

If these new Powermacs are using the 970fx with an 8% speed bump to 2.7 GHz, that is just lame, lame, lame. It would have been like Apple updating the 1 GHz Powermacs to 1.08 GHz - mind-bendingly lame for an update for which we waited over a year.

I thought IBM was better than this. We'll see soon enough if TS is pulling our chain or not.
  • Reply 97 of 138
    rc44rc44 Posts: 6member
    I'm with the camp that these will not be dual core, but let's remember that the iMac G5 has probably been stealing away consumers that might have previously thought about purchasing the low-end G5 tower. With that said, maybe Apple feels they need to make the "low-end" not so low end to get a better performance separation from the iMac...

Hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

The dual CPU low end tower suggests that these are indeed single-core CPUs, since Apple would never ship a twin dual-core CPU as the low end tower.

• Reply 98 of 138
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I've been saying from the first day I read it that TS looks like it merged with MOSR on these reports. I think they are all bogus. Apple would be out of their minds not update their motherboard right now. Talk about missing a step. They would be missing the year. PCI-E is practically old news. If Apple does not pay attention to what PC manufacturers already have in their systems (for months) they have gotten way to full of themselves to even deserve my patronage, or support. And that is gospel.
  • Reply 99 of 138
    Isn't the XBOX 360 rumoured to be getting 3+ GHZ G5s? If they're shipping Christmas, then shouldn't the Powermac be getting at least that as well?
  • Reply 100 of 138
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

... that means that Apple's speed has increased 35% in less than two years while Intel has increased 0%.

Um... Intel is shipping 3.8ghz procs? That's a 400mhz increase. Still a 13-14% increase, so IBM still has them beat. BUT, Intel AND AMD are on the verge of shipping dual cores... they will beat apple / IBM to the punch.