New Powerbook tech must-haves...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

i think the battery feature is only on 15" and 17" (not in the 12") PB

dont know if its true, but i think i've read it somewhere

I have a 12" Powerbook and sure do wish they would include this feature... When I went from my 17" to 12" I was wanting to show off my Powerbook to a friend. Closed the lid, went to sleep, took out the battery, and got this really funny look on my face. I have a backup battery for the Powerbook, but I really wouldn't want to shut down to have to change it.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Would love to see a numberpad on the 17 inch powerbook.

Ship the notebooks with higher capacity batteries.

Start working to lowering the weight a little bit.

That's about it for me.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    jellejelle Posts: 5member
    i used to play with icehockey sticks out of carbon fiber and I can tell you it is very strong. but why don't use the aluminium again and maybe give it an other surface structure, a sort of print? (sorry if my english isn't that good, i'm from belgium and speak dutch)
  • Reply 24 of 32
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    About the possibility of carbon fiber powerbooks manifesting: a company called VoodooPC offers very capable laptops made out of carbon fiber, so why can't Apple?

http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1017

Another suggestion/idea for new powerbooks:

(actually something Microsoft suggested, but please don't flame me)

Integrated 2 GB flash memory modules that serve as a very large buffer for the hard drive. That way the hard drive only has to spin-up whenever the flash memory gets full, saving loads of battery life.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

Integrated 2 GB flash memory modules that serve as a very large buffer for the hard drive. That way the hard drive only has to spin-up whenever the flash memory gets full, saving loads of battery life.

Flash has a limited ammount of writes. so after some time your Flash cache would be dead (just like your Flash card)
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Sony VAIO cutting-edge ultraportables (the TX Series) are made of carbon-fiber.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    The flash write limit is in the hundreds of thousands, so I think it's OK for a hard drive and/or hard drive cache. Just make it easily replaceable, and the battery too.

What I'd like to see is for it to be a big tablet (perhaps with an easel stand). It could come with small wireless keyboard and mouse, but you should be able to use it with stylus only. The ultraportable would be flash only, no moving parts.

And I'd like to see them just go to a clear plastic case with a metal inner shell, like the original "icebooks". In fact, lose the separate consumer/professional lines. Instead, have only 3 lines of products, AIO/portable/tower, with more choices in each line.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Well, other than cheap price, I'd like:

LCD screen resolution options:

13" 1152x768 standard, 1280x854 option

15" 1280x850 standard, 1680x1120 option

17" 1440x900 standard. 1920x1200 option

Form Factor and Industrial Design:

Aluminum, 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5 lbs, 1 inch thick

Ports:

1/1 FW400/800, 2 USB2, 1 modem, 1 Ethernet, audio in/out, DVI, S-video, port replicator port for docking station

Slots:

PC Card, SD Card slot

Drives:

SuperDrive optical, SATA hard drive

Input devices:

Illuminated keyboard, trackpad, scrollball

Wireless:

Bluetooth 2.x, WiFi, WiMAX,

Graphics:

Contemporary high-end Nvidia or ATI mobile graphics solution, 128 MB graphics memory

Processor, and Memory:

2 GH Dual-core Yonah, 667 FSB, 512 MB DDR2-667

My iBook G3 is on its last legs. Hope it lasts until the Powerbook/Yonah comes out.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Graphics:

Contemporary high-end Nvidia or ATI mobile graphics solution, 128 MB graphics memory

And 256 MB option for the big models.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

[B]About the possibility of carbon fiber powerbooks manifesting: a company called VoodooPC offers very capable laptops made out of carbon fiber, so why can't Apple?

http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1017

I guess one issue with carbon fiber composites is that they are labor intensive to make. Plus they are only strong in certain directions determined by the design and lay up of the fibers. Apply stress outside those parameters and it will fail, easily.

Hydro-formed Aluminum or ultra thin stainless steel is a better choice. As are some of the newer plastic materials like the previously mentioned Torlon. I had a camera made from super thin stainless and it looked really cool and is very tough. Much tougher than Aluminum.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Another usb2 port. I mean even inxpensive pc notebooks are shipping with between 3-4. Would love to see another fw400 there too.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I'd like the new ones to have a built in FM transmitter, like the ones we buy for our Ipods, it would be cool to play ITunes on any radio in the room you happen to find yourself.