Apple hardware sector slows as several Macs await refreshes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I was going to order a Dual 2.0 which currently sells for $2,500. If PowerMacs are refreshed as reported by TS then the Dual 2.0 will slide in to the price point of the current Dual 1.8, or $2,000. For $500 I can wait.

And hope there's still money in the budget when you're ready.

• Reply 22 of 52
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    heh, I'd be happy if Steve-o said...let's make this the year of HD...and made all the 'book screens widescreen and said "let them all have nVidia GeForce GO 6800 cards standard!!" And the faithful cheered! And asked, oh lord of the iPod, where is our dual dual 'book? We are lacking.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

uhh, i just checked activity monitor and its only showing 4 to 8mb per dashboard daemon (and if you have duplicates such as world clock, they don't count as extras). These are simple javascripts and they don't run constantly as a matter of fact they don't refresh until you pull up Dashboard...and then sometimes it takes a couple seconds. Heck my stock ticker sometimes reverts apple to $24 for some weird reason, must be a default. And since the they are all web enabled, they don't work if you aren't online. Major feature? Not in my book. Cool item..yeah. Nice to have the weather and junk available but its really just Konfabulator, those poor souls.

My Activity Monitor says Translation is using 65mb and Weather is using 60mb. The rest of the widgets come in from 2-5 mb. Unless there's a memory leak or something, the world of widgets is going to suck up RAM.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

My Activity Monitor says Translation is using 65mb and Weather is using 60mb. The rest of the widgets come in from 2-5 mb. Unless there's a memory leak or something, the world of widgets is going to suck up RAM.

my translator is at 6.8mb. Maybe English to French doesn't suck up as much...haha. I'll keep watching it.

But I'm agreed on that the more widgets you install the more ram you might need. But as good as Apple's are with managing ram, I don't think there will be too much problem.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple engineers are saying the ram footprint of Dashboard should be minimal. Sounds like the excessive memory taken up by some Widgets is another issue altogether.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple engineers are saying the ram footprint of Dashboard should be minimal. Sounds like the excessive memory taken up by some Widgets is another issue altogether.

But if you don't have any widgets on, or bring any out will they still suck up resources?
  • Reply 27 of 52
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

You can't quit Dashboard. It's always running like the Finder. When you install Panther none of the widgets are enabled, so you can keep them turned off if you don't use some.

dang, then I should continue using Konfabulator.

thanks
  • Reply 28 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

But if you don't have any widgets on, or bring any out will they still suck up resources?

I watched a video from Apple's sales site where the engineer said the Widgets are supposed to "quiesce" from RAM and offer no hit when they are gone.

I tend to think this isn't quite the whole story. I could see a Daemon running in the background as Sandau alluded to. If Widgets are taking up 60MB then that sounds like a memory leak that need to be plugged asap.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

At work today I was told there was money in the budget for me to order a new PowerMac and that I should order before the week was over. Gotta stall, gotta stall...

dude, totally you gotta order before your budget dries up or mysteriously gets appropriated by someone else....

unless you're a genius at stalling and can push it out 1-2 weeks. good luck matey

if you pull it off we'd all like to hear how you did it
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

They are basically just webpages.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Veeeeery interesting! The nVidia Geforce 5200 is gone from the AI news?

Someone was a bit to quick copying from TS? Nah nah..
  • Reply 32 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Veeeeery interesting! The nVidia Geforce 5200 is gone from the AI news?

Now that explains it, I am reading about the 5200 and this is nowhere in the article. Apparently I missed the original version. By the way, for what machine this was?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Now that explains it, I am reading about the 5200 and this is nowhere in the article. Apparently I missed the original version. By the way, for what machine this was?

IIRC they were bitching about it still being in the iMac...

edit:

oops my bad.. jesus christ its in apple's powerMac G5s

same as in the iMac g5s... no wonder people are so turned off by the powerMac range....

you only get a ATI RADEON 9600 with the dual 2.5ghz, otherwise right now it's a 5200 for you baby... or of course built-to-order to get a better graphic card....
  • Reply 34 of 52
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

if you pull it off we'd all like to hear how you did it

Simple, It's a small company and I'm one of the the three executives of the corporation so it won't be hard to suggest that we wait.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

um Translation is using 65mb and Weather 60mb? that's very very naughty. given the web-based (javascript, html, flash, css) architecture of Widgets, they shouldn't be sucking up that much RAM.

dude maybe you need a fresher build of Translation and Weather widgets?

good luck matey...
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

Simple, It's a small company and I'm one of the the three executives of the corporation so it won't be hard to suggest that we wait.

awesome. then i agree you should wait... yay! new powermac for you!

dual 2.5ghz with 1GB Ram, 120GB hard disk and ATI Radeon 96xx for $2500?

being a designer/middle-manager/peon my previous experience with budgets have been pretty bad, it was a totally use-it-or-lose-it-situation. except when i got enough buy-in on what to use it for it was gone already

but i'm only 26, i will live to fight again...

*sigh* also one day i will own a PowerMac G5 again...

(had to sell my personal not work single 1.6ghz powermac g5 a year ago... that thing was fast on pure-CPU stuff like Reason 2.5 software synthesis)
  • Reply 37 of 52
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Well, I assume that dashboard is using WebCore, and since safari doesn't take very long to suck up all my free memory even if I'm only browsing a single forum in one tab (currently 200 MB of real memory and almost 500mb of virtual memory ), I will conclude that WebCore's shitty memory management is probably to blame for the report of a widget taking up 50+ MB of ram over time.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

these hardwares updates make me extremely depressed... what the hell are they doing in the hardware labs???? hardware should precede software, and right now apple just introduced all these great POWER applications and soon tiger when there isnt any sufficient power in current hardware to use these applications to their fullest extent... i mean what the hell....honestly...and no im not some switcher...ive touched a PC twice in my entire life... i just cant stand this insanity...give us power...give us graphics...give us something except for 200 Mhz, minimal gpu changes, and 512 ram every six months...

I have to agree. And I could care less about 3GHz or whatever. About a year ago, Apple released the current crop of crap they call their professional line. And, unless I missed something along the way, except for goosing the CPU or maybe defaulting a larger hard drive, these were just updates to the previous years model. If the TS rumors are true, it means another 'refresh', goosing a little processor, adding more RAM, maybe putting in a non-crappy video card standard. Wow. I'm so impressed. You'd think in over two years time Apple could figure out a way to make the computer better? You know, slap in some PCI-Express love, throw in faster bus speeds or upgrade the RAM specs.

Since the original G5s were released in June 2003, has Apple done ANY actual improvement to the enclosure, motherboard, etc?

At the moment, Apple is just the laughingstock of the hardware world. The G5 is the biggest computer I've seen, and there's room for only one internal media drive, and two hard drives. Can't they figure out a way to (a) make the computer smaller, and/or (b) figure out a way to let users actually use all that space for their benefit. I'm tired of having 3 Firewire hard disks sitting on my desk, let alone a firewire CD/DVD player.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

At the moment, Apple is just the laughingstock of the hardware world. The G5 is the biggest computer I've seen, and there's room for only one internal media drive, and two hard drives. Can't they figure out a way to (a) make the computer smaller, and/or (b) figure out a way to let users actually use all that space for their benefit. I'm tired of having 3 Firewire hard disks sitting on my desk, let alone a firewire CD/DVD player.

hence powerbook G5 being 'the mother of all thermal challenges'...
  • Reply 40 of 52
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

It's still one of the fastest. But yes I was expecting more than one optical drive to be included with the next generation model but obviously not. It's a shame because the PowerMac G4s were pretty good in those areas. A decent graphics cards is needed. Is it only the PowerBooks with one included as standard?