Apple shareholders re-elect Board as Jobs slams environmentalists

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    The people who can afford to buy and are attracted to hybrids also seem to be people who can afford and are attracted to buy Macs.

I live in a city that is at about 53% recycling and is targeting 60%. We all just need education and a little infrastructure. I would go to the Apple store in the area to take back old Macs and probably pick up software if they accepted drop offs. I know it could be a recipe for ungodly stacks of Performas in the back hall, but that would be another great service the stores could provide. It would also be an added service that would differentiate them from resellers.

Heck if switchers brought in old biege Dells for recycling when they pick up their Mini's just think of the images that could act as foil to the Dell kiosks in the malls.

Well maybe that ain't such a good idea.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

I don't think being 50% worse than Dell on the environment qualifies as "a really strong environmental policy".

Those G5s are pretty heavy - if the average Mac is heavier than the average Dell, then Apple might be better per lb than Dell.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

God, Jobs is such a douchebag. He's been a dick for decades and I really don't understand why the cult of personality is so strong.

Say that in George W Bush's voice, it's perfect.

I don't think being 50% worse than Dell on the environment qualifies as "a really strong environmental policy".

As far as Longhorn, he has no room to be talking. OSX was release 5 goddam years ago and only now are they saying the underlying API is locked down.

What a prick. Jesus.

Being a Libertarian, here is a thought: You have old computers lying around, then get off your ass and see that they are properly disposed of since YOU OWN THEM.

Expecting or should I say whining to Washington D.C. that the corporation should do this is pathetic.

Should FORD, GM, Daimler-Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, so on and so forth collect unwanted cars and pay to have them removed from the premises of owners who no longer want them?

Recycle your own stuff, live within your means and just watch how much cleaner the environment will be if we all get off our asses and be self-reliant.

Regarding your warped view of Locked Down API ::

Background:

I worked at NeXT and Apple until I got fed up with the granola whiners not grasping the future.

View:

The API is now 'locked down' making it clear that with the inclusion of ObjC++ the collaboration of APIs implemented in C, C++, ObjC or Java now work cohesively under COCOA.

The major delay has been Carbon. Satisfying the past in order to painfully move them to the future was originally projected for 5 years and has turned into 8.

Apple is making it clear that the direction of their Frameworks are centered around Cocoa.

Developers know this and can't bitch. GCC4.0 gives you plenty of languages and Cocoa has exposed APIs to use C, C++, ObjC, ObjC++ and Java. Hell they even have PyObjC for Python Developers. Ruby and PHP I have no doubt will eventually have access if someone hasn't done it already.

CORE DATA :: Welcome to NeXT Developer 2005

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coredata.html
  • Reply 24 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

The major delay has been Carbon.

What does it matter what the delay has been? Did I say it was something else?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    yeah i love how these environmentalists are pissed that apple won't eat the costs of recycling computers when NO OTHER INDUSTRY HAS TO DO THIS. not even bigger industries that use more materials, like the automobile industry.

and again it is an issue of getting off your ass and recycling it if you really want to be environmental.

and OMG i guess that 1 gram (probably much less) of lead in the ipod is just going to destroy the environment.

seriously where do you think lead comes from? it's on the periodic table which it means it's SOMEWHERE in the environment already. one gram of lead from a freaking ipod wont make a difference even from 10 million ipods spread out across thousands of landfills.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I can see the reference in paleoanthropology lectures of the distant future...

"And then as you see in diagram 4a, we find in the Cupertino deposits, the famous W-i boundary. That point in the ancient landfills at the start of the third millenium when the predominantly Walkman culture was supplanted by the iPodosapiens culture. See how the strata changes from a metallic plastic to the glint of shiny steel and white? This boundary layer allows us to place all of the world's lost urban civilizations within a chronological continuity and is a primary indicator for the archeologist to study, to a high level of precision, the the spread of cool over that primordial landscape.

Some of this precision is at times confused at sites contaminated with dell-biege-onite, the ubiquitous substance weathered from the accumulation of vast areas of cheaply made disposable laptops.

Speaking of extinction rates, we find excellent examples in the South Dakotan badland sites labeled Gateway Headquarters on page 234 of your texts."
  • Reply 27 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If led is such a consern, why havn't these wocko anti-American-commy-crackpot enviornmentalists gone after the manufacturers of pencils, they use led and trees, a double whammy!

but there is a certin irony to the fact that these envro-nuts are going after a company on whos board Al Gore sits...Earth in the balance indeed...

Thanks for the parody I didn't get it at first!

Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Before everyone hangs Jobs, who recycle's their garbage at home and work?

I do, and Steve might very well also

Quote:

Originally posted by akhomerun

NO OTHER INDUSTRY HAS TO DO THIS.

Some industries DO have to recycle by law, and the auto industry is one of them (car batteries, anyone? used oil?), but we're talking here about what SHOULD be done, not "has to."

Computer companies sell a product that:

a) Has high volume.

b) Contains a variety of both toxic waste and recyclable materials--and small amounts multipled by millions = large amounts.

c) Gets replaced often, breaks down often, and thus gets thrown away often.

d) Has high visibility and thus is useful for raising awareness.

So "going after" the computer industry makes good sense--and this may be Apple's turn but Apple is NOT the only one who faces these kinds of protests.

And of course, OTHER industries deserve such protests too--and they get them. The computer industry is not being singled out, and nor is Apple. We're talking about ONE protest here, not ALL environmental protects.

Remember the goal of these protests: it's not about hating Apple, it's about the greater good.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If led is such a consern, why havn't these wocko anti-American-commy-crackpot enviornmentalists gone after the manufacturers of pencils, they use led and trees, a double whammy!

but there is a certin irony to the fact that these envro-nuts are going after a company on whos board Al Gore sits...Earth in the balance indeed...

Are you drunk?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Being a Libertarian, here is a thought: You have old computers lying around, then get off your ass and see that they are properly disposed of since YOU OWN THEM.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. For example, there was plenty of bitching and moaning in the part of Canada that I live in when an electronics recycling tax was introduced (if you buy a certain size of TV you pay "x" dollars at the time of purchase at the retail store for your recyling fee).

In my opinion this is a good example of government doing something useful (for a change), in that the new item tax supports the recyling of the old discarded items, and people with the old discarded items will be much more likely to take them to the recycling depot (since it's free to do so).
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Why doesn't the ipod have an EASILY replaceable battery? The answer: style over substance. Apple should send a pre-paid battery recycling envelope with every iPod it ships just like the makers of remanufactured inkjet cartridges.

Most people wouldn't go through the effort to do it, but Jobs would still come out looking like a hero, instead of sounding like a George W. defending his environmental record.

As far as computer are concerned, the environmentalist are missing the point. People do not throw away Macs. When you dispose of Macs you sell them on ebay 5 years after you bought them from about $5 less than what you paid for them . Seriously ever notice how Macs on eBay are more expensive than Mac from Apples refurb store?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    spudspud Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Some industries DO have to recycle by law, and the auto industry is one of them (car batteries, anyone? used oil?), but we're talking here about what SHOULD be done, not "has to."

Well Put.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Dell, being such a large company, is in a better position to be paying more out for old computers. Given that Dells computers look a lot alike from year to year, I would think that a lot of the parts are repackaged and sold overseas as new computers.

The fact that Al Gore is on the board shows that he is not a radical environmentalist but someone who can work within the bounds of what a business needs to do to balance production and environmental costs. Apple is working on the lead problem and will no doubt solve it.

Cell phones are going to be a much larger problem, and get far less attention that iPods are of late.

It's good to hear Steve sounding so confident lately. Taking very vocal and public swipes at Microsoft would suggest that he is highly confident about where Apple is going and the products that they have.

By the time Longtooth is ready, Apple will be able to release an update to Tiger that keeps them comfortably in the lead. At the very least, when Longtooth is finally released, Tiger will have been proven operating system technology for over a year (at least). If history is anything to go by, it will take Microsoft some time to work out all of the glitches, so Longtooth won't be complete for some time after it is released.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Batteries, tires and oil? I would love to know what the big three contribute (dollar wise) to the recylce effort specifically. I would imagine the tire makers, oil makers, and battery makers carry those programs, not automakers.

Local yocal tire places collect a recycle fee at the time of new tire purchases in my state.