1Ghz G4 = BS

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There's no way Apple can't go better than that.

If this really is the best Apple can do many of us (including myself) will kiss Apple goodbye.

1Ghz G4 is hardly an 'impact', 'future'.....

What about this: The 1Ghz G4 is a real. But its for the low-end PowerMac. People may not know is that there are other higher models with faster cpus coming along with it.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hopefully they aren't completely delusional about their own hype. A failure to deliver substantially faster machines would, at this point, be a catastrophic failure. They need to do better than a Ghz, and even the CEO who spent 18 months working on Flower Power ought to know that. We'll see, I guess.
  • Reply 1 of 86
    since when does apple make the chip?
  • Reply 3 of 86
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Maybe that was just the confirmation that the G$ has surpassed the ghz level? They did say they aren't sure the high end. Maybe the hi end will be 1.2-1.4ghz?
  • Reply 4 of 86
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by WeEeEeEdAsH:

<strong>since when does apple make the chip?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rumor has it that Apple is doing their own chip design in house. Thus the lack of leaks.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I agree, but the general consensus is that the future apple is blathering about doesn't involve g4s g5s or g10000s or anything, it involves a totally fresh idea/product, if this is the case the expo might be somethign like "new product new prodcut new prodcut new product..oh yea and we speed bumped the g4s for ya bit"

ya know?

personally I am still optmistic for a 1.6 ghz g5, and if that doesn't happen I sure hope that there is a DAAAAMN good iMac
  • Reply 4 of 86
    This would follow Apple's recent upgrade history. The high end CPU becomes the new low end CPU, and we have increments of 66.6 MHz (half the bus speed). I bet we see:

867 MHz (neutered chip with no L3 cache)

1 GHz

Dual 933 MHz.

And Steve Jobs will throw a GHz coming out party for all of Apple's employees. The guy actually believes it's a worthwhile event, even though Wintels passed up 1 GHz years ago.

Still, this wouldn't make me "kiss Apple goodbye", at least not right away. But next time I buy a computer, I might be thinking hard about Wintels. If Apple cannot deliver on performance, then OS X will still be a dog, and thus the platform will not be very appealing.

Too bad. Things were looking up for a whlie last year, with the introduction of the Titanium and the iBook, it seemed that Apple finally "got it". The iBook in particular, made me think that Apple finally understood the importance of value.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I'll live with a quad 1Ghz. If the rest of the show is all about revolutionary new products and great upgrades of the current ones...
  • Reply 7 of 86
    toofeutoofeu Posts: 73member
    If the specification are right and that the PowerMac line tops at 1Ghz it will be a terrible news especially after all the hype.

I'm a truly mac fan, but if the Powermac would not carry drastic improvement such as DDR, faster bus and Clock speed beyond 1.2Ghz, I think that my very next puchase will be an Athlon.

Don't get me wrong I love Apple as much as everyone here, but Apple needs to come up with better machines right now.

The actual specifications are a shame especially with those tag prices.

Far beyong the rumors site they said.. I hope so for their own sake
  • Reply 9 of 86
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    WTF has all of today been about. First we had the tagline. Then Spymac. Now we have bitter reflection with most of us threatening to abandon Macs once and for all.

THE next tagline better be some ****ing amazing shit
  • Reply 10 of 86
    br0ckbr0ck Posts: 8member
    I know my use of Apple is going to be impacted by this MW. Not just this, but being stuck watching the rest of the PC world blowing by us the last 2 years. Let's not worry about the "Mhz myth" anymore, let's focus on the "Ghz myth". For myself, i hope Apple does come out with something big.

*crosses fingers*
  • Reply 11 of 86
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    It's allways like this. We go from euphoria to bitter despare, in a few hours with nothing to go on exept our own fantasies.

One minute we all love Apple, the next we can't stop ourselves from b**ching about how they always f**k up...

This is what they call love, right?
  • Reply 12 of 86
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple should just cut the tag line bullshit and post a pic on the page. A different one for the next three days. Maybe just a silloutte with a "Coming soon..." or "One more day..." type blurb. People, myself included, are getting way too excited here.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>This would follow Apple's recent upgrade history. The high end CPU becomes the new low end CPU, and we have increments of 66.6 MHz (half the bus speed). I bet we see:

1 GHz

Dual 933 MHz.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is my "minimum hope" level. Anything better than this is gravy.

<strong>

If Apple cannot deliver on performance, then OS X will still be a dog, and thus the platform will not be very appealing.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Things aren't so bad ... it does look like we'll be getting some improved motherboard specs (266 bus, DDR-RAM?) that might help relieve the horrible bottleneck currently throttling the G4. I'd expect OS X would be pretty quick on these new machines.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    toofeutoofeu Posts: 73member

1 GHz

Dual 933 MHz.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is not minimum hope level, this is shame!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that is unacceptable?
  • Reply 15 of 86
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member

This would follow Apple's recent upgrade history. The high end CPU becomes the new low end CPU, and we have increments of <strong>66.6 MHz (half the bus speed)</strong>. I bet we see:

1 GHz

Dual 933 MHz.

[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

If the new bus was 266, then half the bus would jump to 133. So the specs would go like this:

1.13GHz

Dual 1GHz

pretty decent I'd say...

-Paul
  • Reply 16 of 86
    1GHZ is a mystical threshold. saavy users know that clockspeed isn't everything...but it still remains a major milestone for the mac, and i bet apple knows it. i bet we'll see 1ghz as the base model. 1.2 for the midline, and a delayed introduction of the 1.4 on the highend. given the difficulties that motorola has had with scaling, i'm betting these will be single CPU models with a dual 1ghz or dual 1.2 ghz model as BTO.

no insider info. no "friends" at apple. just my opinion.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

If the new bus was 266, then half the bus would jump to 133. So the specs would go like this:

1.13GHz

Dual 1GHz

pretty decent I'd say...

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah. The effective bus speed would be 266 because it's a double pumped 133. The steps and half steps would still be 66 MHz.

SdC
  • Reply 18 of 86
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by Toofeu:

<strong> 867 MHz (neutered chip with no L3 cache)

1 GHz

Dual 933 MHz.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is not minimum hope level, this is shame!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that is unacceptable?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I'm right there with you. This would be very bit as disappointing as this past MWNY.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    I too have read this article about the supposed 1ghz mile stone. Agreed, this would be a threshold for the Mac, but it would be a disappointment after hearing so much about the G5 promise. I hope the release is sooner than the fall as reported. No later than MWNY I hope. I'm hoping that the 1ghz would be the bottom as this was supposed to be what the release was last July. I would think they would be further along at this point! I'm counting the minutes till Monday!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Hopefully they aren't completely delusional about their own hype. A failure to deliver substantially faster machines would, at this point, be a catastrophic failure. They need to do better than a Ghz, and even the CEO who spent 18 months working on Flower Power ought to know that. We'll see, I guess.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just casting my vote ... Intel 2.2GHz, Apple's G4 @ 1.1x? maybe at best 1.2?

We're stuck at half-way there, forever ...