iMac ship times delayed with new models in the pipeline

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    I dunno, just some random guy I talked to on the street. He had lots to say about Powermacs, too.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    fitzy55fitzy55 Posts: 22member
    Dose is seem odd to anyone else that the low end power mac is only a 1.8GHz G5 with only 256MB ram , 80GB hard drive and a NVIDIA GeForce FX. I would have expected this to at least be bumped up to = the imac 20inch rev b. Unless they indented to update it once the rev b imac is announced.

Fitzy
  • Reply 23 of 61
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    New iMacs will most likely show up next week at 1.8 to 2 gig. Maybe a bit more RAM and VRAM. Faster SuperDrives, too.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Unless they indented to update it once the rev b imac is announced.

It was introduced when the G5 iMac was, so that would stand to reason. Unless, of course, Apple has different plans for the $1k-$2k headless market... (crosses fingers)
  • Reply 25 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I dunno, just some random guy I talked to on the street.

Aha, I see. The other random guy says now that the new iMacs and eMacs may start shipping already from this Friday, alongside Tiger.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    jvernonjvernon Posts: 10member
    Is there a reasonable chance a 23" iMac might be introduced this year?
  • Reply 27 of 61
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I dunno, just some random guy I talked to on the street. He had lots to say about Powermacs, too.

I too often walk up to strangers on the street and start rambling on about Apple but they always run off in the opposite direction.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I too often walk up to strangers on the street and start rambling on about Apple but they always run off in the opposite direction.

Next time wear an Apple t-shirt and bring a clipboard. Then people will think your taking a survey or something.

What do you think of the lack of BTO options for the ATI 9800 XT or X800 XT graphic card. Huh?

Do you think the absense of a PCI-E is going to hurt the current models. What?

Does the lack of an extra 5.25 slot on the tower case frustrate you. Waa?

and so on ....

Then after you can pull your shirt off to reveal a Dell shirt underneath and start the whole process overagain. It's really fun to do on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Yeah, I get that too, but maybe it helped that I was in Cupertino when I ran into this guy.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Any chance we'll see the new iMacs on Tuesday, May 3, 2005? It looks as if they'll be growing in increments, with few substantial changes.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Let's see how close I can come to predicting the specs of the new iMacs I expect to see in early May:

20-inch : 2GHz

$1,899.00

20-inch widescreen LCD

2GHz PowerPC G5

512K L2 cache

667MHz frontside bus

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9600

128MB DDR video memory

160GB Serial ATA hard drive

16x slot-load SuperDrive (double-layer)

This is only a guess/wishful thinking. Maybe Tuesday? Wednesday?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Rolo - Sounds good to me. I vote Monday for new iMac G5s.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I am somewhat perplexed. TS said nothing about a 23" model. Could this mean that there will be no 23" iMac in the next update? If so, this update may happen at any time from next week and there will be no a 23" model probably until next year.

On the other hand, the recent price drop in the cinema displays make a 23" model quite feasible, at least at the price point of the original 20" G4 iMac. We should at least see a price drop for the 17" and 20" models in the next update. Also, a 23" model fits very well the HD year announced by S. Jobs. The thing is that such a machine would need two G5@2 GHz at least, in order to run HD video at max. resolution. Note that the specifications say "PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer"; which is the Macintosh computer that is faster than a dual 2 GHz Power Mac, apart the other Power Macs of course? Would this work in an iMac running at 3:1 ratio? And why not throw one or two SPEs from the CELL architecture to help the main CPU (G5) in decoding HD video? Questions, questions .
  • Reply 34 of 61
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Excellent sleuthing, PB. I hope your questions have answers that bear Apple fruit!

--------------------------

Hoping in Nashvegas
  • Reply 35 of 61
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    After seeing the powermac hiccup i think at best you will see a imac 2.0 and 9600. At worst would be more 1.8 and 9600 along with Tiger. Anyways neither machine advances much after a year. Hard to get excited about bumps that couldnt be smaller. fx5200-9600 is almost nil difference, a 200mhz bump on the 1.8 is nice but numbers wont show much. Again Apple should build a machine the consumer can configure.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 643member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

After seeing the powermac hiccup i think at best you will see a imac 2.0 and 9600. At worst would be more 1.8 and 9600 along with Tiger. Anyways neither machine advances much after a year. Hard to get excited about bumps that couldnt be smaller. fx5200-9600 is almost nil difference, a 200mhz bump on the 1.8 is nice but numbers wont show much. Again Apple should build a machine the consumer can configure.

No, that isn't right, the difference between FX5200 and Radeon-9600 are tremendous, like night and day, at least when you are playing 3D-games with it. You also don't have to forget that the 9600 comes with 128 MB VRAM which is also a big difference in gaming.

But you are right on the 200 MHz-bump, that isn't much, but nearly noone has expected much in that regard, since it's just a revB-machine. What I and a lot of others expect from rev-B is just a machine without the problems rev-A had with the fan and the disk, and off course a pre-installed Tiger.

The rest, like the rumored 512MB-RAM and the new graphiccard, as well as the dual-layer-DVD-burner in the middle and best versions are just really sweet and nice bonusses.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 37 of 61
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    True about the 128, i had forgot but they may keep it at 64. Help keep iMac handicap compared to powermac 1.8 Apple is cheap when it comes to video. A 9600 64 vs fx5200 64 is almost nil difference is what I ment to say.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    How about an iMac with a 2.3GHz PowerPC G5?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

True about the 128, i had forgot but they may keep it at 64. Help keep iMac handicap compared to powermac 1.8 Apple is cheap when it comes to video. A 9600 64 vs fx5200 64 is almost nil difference is what I ment to say.

The difference between the 9600 from ATI and the 5200 from Nvidia is not only the VRAM, but also the capabilities in 3D, the 9600 is really a whole other beast in that regard.

Here is a PC-site comparing all the different 3d-cards out there:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/doom3/doom3-2.html

The conclusion one can draw from that comparison is that the standard ATI-Radeon 9600 with 128 MB RAM is way better than the Nvidia FX 5200, and right on the level, even slightly better than Nvidia's FX 5700!

I really hope that Apple indeed builds in the standard 9600 with 128 MB VRAM into the new imacs, it would right away out of the box double the 3d-performance in 3d-games.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 40 of 61
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    2 GHz, 23" LCD, dual-layer Superdrive.