Sources: Australian iTunes Music Store ready to serve tunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer this Thursday will finally launch a much anticipated localized version of its iTunes music download service in the land of Oz.

Not surprising, the company remains mum on the subject.

But sources close to the Australian music industry tell AppleInsider that this week's rumored announcement will pan out.

In addition to comments from actor and sometime-musician Russell Crowe, who recently told listeners of a local radio show that iTunes Australian would begin selling his tracks for $1.80 on April 28, sources have file several other corroborating reports.

For starters, Apple Computer Australia is now listed as the owner of the www.itunes.com.au domain name.

Additionally, Australian DJ BeXta recently wrote on her website that "iTunes is about to become available in Australia finally," and that it would host her album "Conversations with Ones and Zeros" as one of its first local offerings.

But the most telling information comes from music industry insiders who say that Apple on Thursday (the 28th) will launch a national advertising campaign for the iTunes music store in Australia.

Already the computer maker has booked spots with several radio stations that will begin airing Thursday afternoon.

This Thursday also marks the second anniversary of the iTunes music store, which launched on April 28th 2003.

If a report on Music.ch claims is accurate, Apple this Thursday will also launch iTunes music stores in Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

All five of the aforementioned locations were rumored to be the recipients of iTunes music stores in 2004 but saw plans delayed due to complicated regional licensing negotiations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Hmm. Would these inside sources have anything to do with appletalk?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Wherever it has come from this is good news for all concerned.... in Australia anyway....

I for one have got my hopes up and are waiting for Thursday so I can put some serious dents in my credit card...

Hurrah for AU iTMS

*wildly shakes fist in Cuperino direction*

This better be true Apple!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Try this:

The link in text: http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite...lag_sweden.jpg

Change the "sweden"-part to australia, norway, denmark or switzerland.

It's definitely coming.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Great find!

Just for kicks I tried Japan and a few others will no success....

Its happening people..... its FINALLY HAPPENING!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Man this is some sweet news! Since the first couple of let downs I've been incredibly scepticle about any news surrounding the Aus iTMS, but this is looking like it might, maybe, could, possibly, potentially be a goer.

Bring it.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    it's already been broughted..... on the 28th
  • Reply 7 of 13
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    And New Zealand? Our Macs come via Apple Australia (via Renaissance), my .Mac account is billed in AUD (why?) but if John Howard's Anzac Day barbecue is anything to go by, we'll be poor cousins for a while yet... or maybe not.

Visa at the ready! Present arms!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Well APRA represents Australia and NZ so I'd be surprised if both don't come at one. $1.80 does seem a touch on the high side though. I would have expected more like $1.70 or even $1.60.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    When I tried the menu "Choose Store" in iTunes soemthing strange has happened! Try it for yourself, to find out what it is ;-)

I cant insert an image here. How to do this?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
  • Reply 11 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    *sigh* time to cut up my 1 remaining aussie visa card. me parents are helping me pay it off ($1500 owed on ANZ first visa card and $3500 owed on Virgin mastercard) ... i cut up my ANZ card but i still have my Virgin card

well, time to give it the snip, i don't trust myself, particularly if an aussie iTMS shows up

about bloody time though! aussie aussie aussie oy! oy! oy!

yes Kiwis will just have to ride our coattails... and we're still claiming Russell Crowe as our own... he was pretty damn good in Master and Commander...

although his recent *ahem* political claims have been a bit brash, shall we say... \
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Well, I made a Norwegian iTMS purchase today and was charged $0.15, which is eight times less than the list price.

I think I'll have to do some serious shopping before it officially launches, just too bad everything isn't available yet.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Well we'll take responsibility for Crowe's political comments... obviously a bit too much for you conservative Aussie types.