Apple 'officially' upgrades Power Mac G5 product line

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Meanwhile, the computers that MOST PEOPLE buy (white boxes) can have all that for $1,200..

This update, especially after AMD's dual core announcement, is a huge freakin joke.

Tiger will probably boost the speed more than this bump.

I'm glad I bought my 2.5 G5 when I did.

I am not going to try to get to off subject, and maybe someone already beat me to it but I do not want to read this entire post to find out......but do those white boxes have iLife? (sarcasm)
  • Reply 82 of 88
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The topic is the new G5 towers.

Comparisons to home-built PCs are old, tired, and boring.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The topic is the new G5 towers.

Comparisons to home-built PCs are old, tired, and boring.

Also irrelevent because branded parts and a complete warranty etc. aren't included in the same way with whiteboxes. Apple is a niche (why is windows so bad at making accents?) company and cannot be compared to others easily. I personally think Apple computers are well priced.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well I look at it this way, for £1700 I can now buy a Dual 2Ghz G5 with a 20" Flat Screen.... That is a bargain.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Well I look at it this way, for £1700 I can now buy a Dual 2Ghz G5 with a 20" Flat Screen.... That is a bargain.

that's less than my recent PowerBook
  • Reply 86 of 88
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Anyone find it interesting that these are the same prices as the previous machines, when they lowered prices on the newly bumped PowerBooks. Wait... are the new PowerBook models cheaper? Thought they were... huh...

Anywho good bump, I guess. Its a bump, deep down we all knew it would be. For a speedbump to change to something like a dualcore would be, well, amazing. Not a bump at all some would say.

For the prices these Dual Core Optis are, I'm glad we don't have bleeding edge [CPU] technology. Even with the theories of, "Well, a PPC equivalent wouldn't be nearly as expensive because..." it WOULD be more expensive then our current setups. Think of the bitching this would have been, Dual Core with only one physical processor, similar speeds but an increase in price.

Nah, let the technology mature. Work on a compeltely new interal setup or (GASP) change the outside of the machine in the next release. I think everyone has been more then patient with the nickle and diming done to the Power Mac. Besides CPU what has changed? They are marketing Dual-layer DVD? Its an optical drive, every Mac has firewire ports, not something to harp on for a professional machine.

The Power Mac G5 had a huge headstart, but I forsee it playing catch-up the rest of its days until major releases hit, even those won't be bleeding edge. Stability, both through software and hardware, its a double-edged sword.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    But now we'll all be running Tiger on the new machines and perhaps springing to get dual 23" or ( Lord help the wealthy and desk-spatially endowwed) 30" displays.\
  • Reply 88 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Anyone find it interesting that these are the same prices as the previous machines, when they lowered prices on the newly bumped PowerBooks. Wait... are the new PowerBook models cheaper? Thought they were... huh...

PowerBooks were reduced slightly - but I paid £2000 for my laptop once I had upgraded the HD, RAm and GPU.