Installing Tiger with Migration Assistant

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Hi All,

Well I've run into a snag with my install.

[stuff deleted]

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Also, how can I run the migration app again?

Thanks!

-Scott - Who has the Tiger, but the Tiger has Scott by the tail at the moment!

Hi All,

I fixed the problem very easily!

I forgot to click the pad lock to allow myself access to the accounts. Then was able to reset the password for my account that was migrated. Then able to log back in my migrated account. Now am testing things out to see what is broken or fixed. So far it looks like they have fixed one of my favorite features, the screen zoom (for people that don't want to squint at the screen all the time.) Zoom no longer jumps all over the place when clicking hyperlinks in Safari. it works just fine now. My Quickeys was the first thing to have a problem but was able to locate all the software codes for it. Still testing. But wanted to let others know how I fixed an otherwise stalled installation. Ah, mail is nice too.

The only bummer about Spotlight so far is that there is no "not equal too" to exclude things from the search.

And lastly the Apple Quicktime movie intro for those of us that purchased Tiger from Apple directly was very informative. Will have to watch it again. They covered a lot of things about Spotlight that haven't been talked about before. The movie is basic one fellow demoing everything in one segment per feature and is about 45 minutes long. I ran at full screen and it was in a very detailed mode, but then it was jittery about every 7 to 10 seconds. So resized smaller. Then back to full size and it used a bit grainer resolution, but was just fine. I'm running on a mini with 1GB ram, so take that into consideration.

Hope everyone else is having no problems upgrading.

-Scott - Who now has the Tiger by the tail. . .
  • Reply 22 of 31
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    suggestion: with carbon copy cloner it is a good idea to erase the target disk and fix permissions (on the source disk, can set this as a CCC preference) before cloning..... have done many, many clones using this procedure with zero problems
  • Reply 23 of 31
    So, I did a complete CCC clone and an clean install with the migration assistant. Everything seems to be running fine except some problems with Mail. It looks like all of my mailboxes and accounts transferred fine, but I don't have any of the actual emails. Every box says "0 messages"

Also, I sent an email to my dad a few hours ago to check things out. He got it fine, but his reply still hasn't showed up

Any ideas?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Don't forget that you can Archive any given large file and cut its size in half.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    sladuuchsladuuch Posts: 67member
    Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but does Migration Assistant copy everything from your cloned drive? I ask this because I have lots of important stuff on the root level of the drive but not in the Applications folder. Will MA copy this stuff as well, or should I relocate it to my user folder or Applications?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sladuuch

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but does Migration Assistant copy everything from your cloned drive? I ask this because I have lots of important stuff on the root level of the drive but not in the Applications folder. Will MA copy this stuff as well, or should I relocate it to my user folder or Applications?

somewhere in the above posts lundy the moderator said:

"Not while you are installing. There is no Finder to go to. I am not confident that an Archive Install would save something at the root level - be advised."

don't wanna lose that pr0n huh?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    sladuuchsladuuch Posts: 67member
    Actually, I was referring to doing a clean install with MA. And the "important stuff" is 14.8 Gb of CGI work, including the full version of Maya 6.5 Unlimited. Not something I want getting thrown away. If MA won't preserve it, I'll just create an extra partition on my backup drive and copy the hard drive twice for extra peace of mind, but does MA copy everything?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Actually, I was referring to doing a clean install with MA. And the "important stuff" is 14.8 Gb of CGI work, including the full version of Maya 6.5 Unlimited. Not something I want getting thrown away. If MA won't preserve it, I'll just create an extra partition on my backup drive and copy the hard drive twice for extra peace of mind, but does MA copy everything?

oh okay... umm yeah this was what i was asking... earlier in the above posts, i have Alias videos i don't want to lose, 10GB worth. anyway i transferred it to some space on my *bleahh* PC drive so i can do complete fresh wipe when the time comes...

good luck with it, maybe someone else here can assist.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

MA is for transferring from an old computer - you perform a fresh install on a new partition/hard drive and then use migration assistant to get the stuff from the old partition/hard drive.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    I did the clean install with the migration assistant and wound up with about 12gig of missing HD space. I went back to Panther and did an upgrade to Tiger with no issues and got back the HD space. I have no idea what was filling that space but the regular upgrade seems to be working fine.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I did exactly this.

I updated to 10.4.1.

Migration Assistant turns up a blank screen. I have Another Volume selected because I did it with an external FireWire drive. Doesn't show. Any ideas? Thank you!

PS Spotlight is indexing it. A) I don't want it to, since that stuff is almost 100% the stuff I'm going to migrate back to the internal. Does the index take much space? Is it smart and will it delete indexes of stuff that gets deleted? 2) Is that what is interfering with Migration?