Apple releases QuickTime 7.0 for Panther

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

You can, they do, and it's instant.

And, the online Apple Store keeps a record of all your software download serial numbers. Just click "Your Account" under the Store, log into your account, and there is a link to all of your downloads and the activation keys.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrunchinJelly

All movies.

Just regular .mov's are now close to unplayable.

Edit: I'm really annoyed, actually. Safari 1.3 is a massive improvement over 1.2, but QuickTime is simply awful. I don't dare buy Tiger now!

Something's wrong then because QT7 considerably outperforms QT6 on the same codecs. I can comfortably scrub through a lot of files that used to be jerky as can be. I can even play some I could never play before.

Edit: If those .movs are encoded with AVC they will tax your computer. If you have a slow computer it wouldn't surprise me if it had issues with them.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

All movies.

Just regular .mov's are now close to unplayable.

On the iMac G3 (500 MHz, 576 MB RAM, Rage 128 Pro), everything works as well as or better than it ever has. Sunil's H.264 clips are unplayable, however (between 0-3 fps).
  • Reply 24 of 39
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    I JUST bought QT 6 Pro about 6 months ago and now they want me to pay ANOTHER $30 to get QT 7 Pro. $30 isn't a lot of money but I was under the impression I could buy it once. This just seems more like a micro-shaft policy than Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    A Good thread on the doom9 forums about some quicktime discussion with the h.264 codec.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=93366
  • Reply 26 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Any news about a Windows port? I sold my iBook, and I'm going to use Linux most of the time for the next 2 months, but I could boot into Windows to try it out...
  • Reply 27 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

On the iMac G3 (500 MHz, 576 MB RAM, Rage 128 Pro), everything works as well as or better than it ever has. Sunil's H.264 clips are unplayable, however (between 0-3 fps).

hi Fork and others with G3s, h.264 is a very very processor-intensive codec.

before Quicktime7, if you used VLC player to playback ffmpegX-encoded h.264 clips, it would run choppy on my iBook G4 933mhz 256mb ram machine.

Quicktime7-playback of h.264 is vastly improved on my iBook G4...

Unfortunately, looks like (maybe Altivec optimisations?) h.264 is geared towards G4 and above.

PS. time to get a new mac
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I am really new to the Apple environment. I first purchased a Mac Mini and two days ago purchased a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 with Tiger loaded. Forgive me if I am overlooking something obvious...

I purchased QuickTime Pro 7.0 and the MPEG-2 codec in hopes of converting my personal SkyDiving video to a QuickTime video. I believe I can successfully conver the video VOB file but have no idea how to integrate the audio from DVD.

I'm hoping one of you QuickTime experts will give me some guidance. In short, how do I convert a (non-encrypted) DVD to a H.264 QuickTime video with audio?

Thanks in advance,

AJ
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Empyrean

I am really new to the Apple environment. I first purchased a Mac Mini and two days ago purchased a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 with Tiger loaded. Forgive me if I am overlooking something obvious...

I purchased QuickTime Pro 7.0 and the MPEG-2 codec in hopes of converting my personal SkyDiving video to a QuickTime video. I believe I can successfully conver the video VOB file but have no idea how to integrate the audio from DVD.

I'm hoping one of you QuickTime experts will give me some guidance. In short, how do I convert a (non-encrypted) DVD to a H.264 QuickTime video with audio?

Thanks in advance,

AJ

hi and welcome... you can use Genius Bar part of AppleInsider forum if you like the next time... there really are geniuses just waiting to help you well hopefully....

actually, the weird part about the MPEG-2 deal is that you convert the video out of VOB into a certain format you like. The sound has to be added via the "add to movie" menu separatedly... that is, you convert the video out, then you convert the audio out, then you join the two. then after you join the two you can export to h.264 video with aac-encoded audio in your final QuickTime clip.

hmm i am real tired now and probably not making sense so better start a thread in Genius Bar part of this forums, so we'll help you out there.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    ...I'm hoping one of you QuickTime experts will give me some guidance. In short, how do I convert a (non-encrypted) DVD to a H.264 QuickTime video with audio?

Thanks in advance,

AJ

Try handbrake it works really well for this kind of thing. the current 264 enabled version is beta but it should work pretty good.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117

also regarding those new hd 264 clips they are even jerky on the new 2.7 ghz g5s! im not sure but it may have something to do with the bandwidth on those things 7mbits may be too much number crunching i guess for new macs or old.

those matrix clips are awesome thanks to sunilraman for posting those.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    QT Pro: Apple's personal "FUCK YOU" to all Mac users.

Just bought a $1500 computer? Ha hah! You've got to pay another $30 if you want to save any video clips from embedded web pages, or watch internet video full screen! Oh yeah, we've got you now, SUCKER!

Because as we all know, only the "pros" watch video full screen.

If Apple charged only for the use of codecs, it would make sense, but still would be a kick in the crotch to someone who just spent $3000 on a Powermac. But crippling the standard QT is stupid and only serves to stunt any QT marketshare growth. Even worse, IMO, is the nagging. Apple has the best desktop OS in the world on their hands, sleek, profession, and cool - yet new users are greeted with nagging as soon as they try to open any internet-related media files.

John Siracusa (of Arstechnica) masterfully skewered Apple for including cripple-ware in Tiger:

Quote:

There's one final unpleasantry to deal with: QuickTime Pro. Like its predecessors, the Tiger QuickTime Player is crippleware. Many of the most useful features are disabled, and can only be enabled by paying Apple $30 for a QuickTime Pro license. The menu items for these "pro-only" features are grayed out and have obnoxious little "PRO" badges next to them.

Don't misunderstand, none of the disabled features in the QuickTime Player are actually disabled in QuickTime 7 itself. They're simply disabled in the player application. Anyone can create a QuickTime player application that goes right ahead and calls the APIs that the QuickTime Player in "non-pro" mode refuses to call. Oh and by the way, the QuickTime browser plugin-suffers from the same intentional feature debilitation.

This has been the case for years with QuickTime, so why get all riled up about it now? Here's why. Mac OS X ships with a complete integrated development environment that supports C, C++, Objective-C, Java, and all of the APIs in Mac OS X (not to mention distributed compiling, a GUI design and layout tool, and a suite of performance monitoring applications). Tiger includes a free web browser, e-mail client, address book, dictionary, thesaurus, font manager, and AIM/Jabber instant message client. When you buy an iMac you get all of the above plus iLife: iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band, and iDVD.

The total development cost of this software bundle is absolutely huge. The total retail cost of iLife alone is $80. And yet after spending $1,500 or more on a new Mac with this great software bundle, what's waiting for you when you fire it up for the first time and try to watch a QuickTime movie trailer in full-screen mode? Why, it's a nag screen asking you to pay $30 more for the "privilege" of calling the QuickTime APIs that are sitting right there in the library code on your disk.

This is just criminally stupid. It mars the otherwise exemplary out-of-box experience for buyers of consumer Macs especially. Having spent well over $4,000 on my current crop of Mac hardware (plus $80 for iLife '05 plus who knows how much for the Mac OS X Public Beta through Tiger), I find it personally insulting that I'm still not entitled to the "wonders" of QuickTime Pro.

Yeah, sure, I can download a third-party movie player application and find a third-party QuickTime browser plug-in. I can watch movie trailers in iTunes, which will go full-screen even without the magic "pro" key. Or I can google for an illegitimate QuickTime Pro key code. I can even shell out the $30. But it's not the money that bothers me, it's the principle. I'd be happy if Apple simply raised the price of its hardware by $30. On a $4,000+ bill, it's practically a rounding error.

But please, Apple, give up on the QuickTime Pro thing. It's always been annoying, but when viewed alongside today's suite of bundled Apple software, it's downright ridiculous. Worse, it makes the Mac platform look bad when the bundled QuickTime Player application can't do all of the things that make QuickTime so cool: cut, copy, and paste together different kinds of media into a single file, extract and recombine tracks, import and export a huge number of formats, and yes, view video in full-screen mode.

Yeesh. Rant over.

• Reply 32 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, Siracusa rocks.

To save (non-streaming) movies on the web though:

View source. 'Find' for '.mov'. Once you've found the URL for the movie, cut and paste it directly into the address field of your browser, it will load. Save it. Annoying, but takes all of 5 extra seconds.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, Siracusa rocks.

To save (non-streaming) movies on the web though:

View source. 'Find' for '.mov'. Once you've found the URL for the movie, cut and paste it directly into the address field of your browser, it will load. Save it. Annoying, but takes all of 5 extra seconds.

Thank your for that Kickaha. I'm wondering if you can simply set up a smart folder that will track what pops into your internet cache when you download so that you can find it and save it. However your way is easier.

a bit of a pet peeve. Are we really helping new people on AI if we have vetrans bitching about the same thing. Folks we have to evolve. Hitting your head on the wall is only a problem if you do it more than once. IE learn from your past pain. Quicktime 6 came with the same stipulations the QT5 Pro licenses didn't work. Quicktime 6 was delivered more than two years ago. So this isn't a $30 a year tax. It's more like $10 a year.

Another tip for newbies,previous version of QT nag screens could be rid by setting your clock forward a year or more. Opening up a QT file and clicking the "Later". This sets the next follow-up nag screen but in 2007 catch my drift. Close the file and reset your clock back.

There's no way to secure the license fees in any other way other than just packing the costs into the OS. Apple has to resort to artificially limiting other areas as an incentive.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I thought the nag screen was gone in QT7? At least on Tiger?

The new nag is the greyed out menu items with (PRO) next to them to remind you of what you're missing...

Yup, no nag here on 10.3.9, just checked.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Oh cool. I hadn't checked on the Mac at work to see the preferences.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    no nag in 10.4 either. btw there are a list some where on apples website of quicktime applescripts (not sure yet how they work with 7) that allow you create presentation files with the pro player that will allow anyone pro or not to view your movies fullscreen.

uber
  • Reply 37 of 39
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Just bought a $1500 computer? Ha hah! You've got to pay another $30 if you want to save any video clips from embedded web pages, or watch internet video full screen! Oh yeah, we've got you now, SUCKER!

Ever been able to save windows media clips straight from the browser?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i'll throw in my 2 cents in this thread. though it is kinda dumb that an upgrade is required for full screen video, there are easy alternatives to quicktime pro that are free.

For full screen video and many other quicktime functionalities, get VLC. It's free.

For saving cached movies in Safari and the iTunes Music Store, use iGetMovies

There is absolutely no excuse for whining about Quicktime (and Pro) when you have free alternatives.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'll throw in my 2 cents in this thread. though it is kinda dumb that an upgrade is required for full screen video, there are easy alternatives to quicktime pro that are free.

For full screen video and many other quicktime functionalities, get VLC. It's free.

For saving cached movies in Safari and the iTunes Music Store, use iGetMovies

There is absolutely no excuse for whining about Quicktime (and Pro) when you have free alternatives.

don't forget MacMpeg2Decoder

http://mm2d.sourceforge.net/

saves you the $20 you might spend on the QuicktimeMpeg2 component...