Annoying Things in Tiger

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

On Safari on my iMac G5 (running Tiger, of course), 'cnn' does indeed go straight to cnn.com.

mine does too.

Quote:

1) In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

I hadn't noticed that list thing before. The reason it does that is because you can select by dragging. But yes it is annoying, maybe a longer click should allow you to move?

BUT Tiger is fast, safari scrolling is fast, brilliant.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    I don't like the Google search bar in my safari. I usually remove it, but they stitched it completely onto the address bar, you can't remove one without removing the other with it.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    what's so bad about the google search bar? At least you can resize it (could in panther...)
  • Reply 24 of 90
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

just 'bsodmike', 'cnn' and 'google' all work fine here, i.e. it resolves to www.whatever.com

strange!

Ahh yes, try this go to prefs, network. Under your interface add for DNS:

See if that helps it

Mike

Well, it appears to be a function of my cable modem DNS server or my wireless router. At work with my TiBook, it works fine.

If I enter 'plastic' it goes to www.plastic.com.

Something is screwy with the DNS service of my cable modem because last night, I entered 'plastic' and it took me to an adult webhosting service...

I'll try your DNS change when I am home again.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Same machine with 764 mb of ram-- h.264 content *looks* fabulous but I can never get it to play without massive frame skipping.

I have 1GB of RAM, but, anything that is very large skips terribly and brings the machine to a halt (the dock won't even magnify).

As you said, the video frames themselves are stunningly gorgeous.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

typing 'cnn' in Firefox leads to www.cnn.com without any other action. I don't know where you got that automatic Google thing, but it's not correct.

Yes it is. CNN.com is obviously the first search result returned by Google when typing "cnn" into their search field, which is why it seems transparent to you. But type in a different term like "folklore" and see what happens: do you get directed to folklore.com or another site?

BTW, this is documented by the Mozilla Foundation on the Firefox support site:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_search

8)
  • Reply 27 of 90
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    No Cisco or Checkpoint VPN usage!! Aaargh!
  • Reply 28 of 90
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

No Cisco or Checkpoint VPN usage!! Aaargh!

Cisco stated people in need of VPN should delay upgrading and there would be an upgrade shortly. Can't really blame Apple for that.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Yes it is. CNN.com is obviously the first search result returned by Google when typing "cnn" into their search field, which is why it seems transparent to you. But type in a different term like "folklore" and see what happens: do you get directed to folklore.com or another site?

BTW, this is documented by the Mozilla Foundation on the Firefox support site:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_search

8)

I stand corrected.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Cisco stated people in need of VPN should delay upgrading and there would be an upgrade shortly. Can't really blame Apple for that.

I never indicated blame for it, just that no VPN's work with Tiger. I guess both parties should have considered it.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

The weather widget also appears to be US only.

That really sucks, since it advertises its use of Accuweather, which does pretty much the whole world.

Works for me in Canada.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    I was able to add cities from other countries as well.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    I think h.264 looks great. But does anybody else think the picture is a little dark.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    genehackgenehack Posts: 15member
    Please read my other thread.

Tiger is calling home all the time and I hate that.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    joecooljoecool Posts: 97member
    I just found that you can't add your own alert sounds. I always liked adding Homer Simpson's "D'Oh", and now I can't add it to the list of alert sounds. Very annoying!!
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joecool

I just found that you can't add your own alert sounds. I always liked adding Homer Simpson's "D'Oh", and now I can't add it to the list of alert sounds. Very annoying!!

can't you do it manually: Macintosh HD>System>Library>Sounds
  • Reply 37 of 90
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

3. Wow, now thats strange. I have an iBook G4 1.2GHz 768MB RAM, and watched the Batman Begins trailer at full screen with (14", 1024), and whatever the height was. Fullscreen was 1280, so it went off the edge of my screen. It was crystal clear and ran great at full screen widge. I even had an installation for some program going. Must just be the 667, but didn't think it would make that big of difference unless you were encoding.

I call B.S. It certainly doesn't play well on my PBG4 1.5, nor a single processor 1.8 G5. Apple claims that a dual 2.0 is needed for proper playback.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    joecooljoecool Posts: 97member

OK, I've been put in my place!!!

Thanks!
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

I call B.S. It certainly doesn't play well on my PBG4 1.5, nor a single processor 1.8 G5. Apple claims that a dual 2.0 is needed for proper playback.

It played well on my PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz, 128 MB GPU and 1GB RAM in full-screen and in the window - with things going on in the background - although sometimes the sound seemed a little skewed with the video. HD looks good - now i need an HD monitor.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The iCal dock icon returns to July 17 when you quit. It used to hold the last launch date. I had it set up to launch every morning to both give me a view of the day and update the icon.