MDD PSU swap-out

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anybody successfully swapped out the PSU on their MDD G4s yet?

Does it make big difference? Is it worth doing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    frostymmbfrostymmb Posts: 131member
    If you're talking about the power supply exchange program, the replacements haven't shipped yet. But it will be fairly eay. I replaced the fans in my power supply to quiet it down a bit. It wasn't difficult and was more complicated that a PS swap, so replacement won't be a hard task.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yes, I'm talking about the power supply unit.

But do your new fans make a difference? Are they indeed quieter?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Is there anyone out there capable and kind enough to measure the sound level difference before and after the swap (rumor has it that the kits started shipping yesterday)?

I'm really curious to know if it is worth the $20 and tons of agravation to swap the fan and power supply out.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Yeah, please let us know, I would do it, but I want to hear the experience first.

KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I just got my power supply and fan kit from Apple today. Popped out the old and popped in the new in about twenty minutes. The difference is dramatic, at least to my ears. Keep in mind that I had already performed some PSU fan swapping and had softened the noise previously, but now it is very quiet. The only fan I can hear is the one on the GeForce4 TI card. I'll have to pick up a Radeon 9700 Pro this summer and put a Zalman heatsink heatpipe cooling system on it and rid myself of the video card fan altogether.

Well worth the twenty dollars, and I am very satisfied with the results.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Swapped mine out recently, it is quieter but still not as quiet as something like my old Beige G3 tower. The high frequency pitch is reduced to a lower one and is more tolerable. I do have a weird problem though, when I wake from sleep (after being off for a few hours) it makes a rattling sound; an hour later it goes away.

My roommate's MDD is still quite loud though. He does have three hard drives in it though, but is not as quiet as we'd like it to be.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Today I opened up the MDD again. I tightened the hinges that the CPU fans slids into because I could jiggle the fan. Now it's nice and tight. I also removed the metal grill from the fan because I the spokes seemed to be vibrating just enough to make a high pitched hum.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    just did mine today.

dramatic difference.

and i am a noise freak....

awesome job by apple.!!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Just finished my swap out. Noticeably quieter, even though I'd already done a home-brew replacement of the fans inside the old power supply (without doing the CPU fan).

The extra improvement must be due to the new CPU fan, even quieter power supply fans the my previous replacement, or a combination of the two effects.

The biggest difference is the fan noise at start-up. The big roar is gone. Of course, the normal running noise is much improved as well.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Just received my kit today in Bern, Switzerland, Europe.

Installed it, after adding some more rubber pads on the contact surface (what I had already done on the old PSU, in order to reduce vibration noise).

Works flawlessly and is considerably quiteter.

I can still hear it, but now, the harddrives are annoyingly loud, indicating that the fan is considerably quieter. actually dramatically more quiet.

I've made a 30 sec movie with my digital camera before and after.

unfortunately the mic in the camera is pretty poor, and apart from the noise it mostly responded to the HD whine, but when I approached the case, the difference is dramatically obvious. Have a look if you're interested.

the files can be found here:

http://gnews.lanforce.ch/old.AVI for the old PSU

http://gnews.lanforce.ch/new.AVI for the new PSU

There are two IBM 120GXP 120GB in there and a Dual 1250 MDD.

G-News
  • Reply 11 of 22
    eotkueotku Posts: 37member
    I got my kit yesterday. It took me 15 minutes to install. During the installation I couldn't help but be extremely impressed with Apples enclosure design. To remove the Power Supply, Fan and four hard drives you only have to remove 4 screws!

Anyway my DP867 is now just as quite as my G4 400 at work. Before the upgrade I could hear it in the next room when I watched TV. Now with the TV off I can barely hear it. And it is much quieter than my old PowerTower Pro computer!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    THANKS APPLE!!! I can barely hear my MDD 1GHz now. This is so awesome, I don't have to put it to sleep whenever I'm not using it anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    when you're not using it, turn it off or put it to sleep anyway.

that's called saving energy.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

when you're not using it, turn it off or put it to sleep anyway.

that's called saving energy.

Put it to sleep when switching to my PB for 5 minutes? I mean I don't have to put it to sleep every couple of minutes because the noise is so annoying.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dual867dual867 Posts: 31member
    I agree, the replacement fans are way quieter than the stock ones. The noise never really bothered me all that much to begin with but I couldn't imagine going back.

-Dual 867
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I hardly call "switching to the PB for 5 minutes" and then back to the PM "not using the PM". I was talking about half an hour and more.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    how lkong is the program giong on it sounds like i need to replace mine.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    Well finally got around to changing mine...big difference!

Thank you apple (although, why did i have to pay $20?, when my car is recalled, its free and they perform the service). Better than not doing it at all I guess...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Well I received my replacement kit this morning (I can't get over the size of the box). I'll be replacing the PSU tonight and I look forward to hearing the difference!

Does anyone know if you have to return the original parts? If so, how do you go about it?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Well I fitted the kit without any problems (good, clear instructions supplied).

Makes a big difference. Of course, now the mouse clicks and the hard disk access seem so loud!

There's no pleasing some people, eh?