Apple ups eMac specs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Seems like eMacs were also updated.. they look different to me.. I didn't closely follow the previous specs though and I don't see a press release so if anyone knows please pass along

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    webavatarwebavatar Posts: 55member
    Appears so.. New eMac specs:

- 17-inch flat CRT display

- 1.42GHz PowerPC G4

- 512MB DDR333 SDRAM

- 160GB Ultra ATA drive

- 8x SuperDrive (double-layer)

- ATI Radeon 9600

- 64MB video memory

- 56k internal modem

Seems lower-end model is unchanged.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    No difference appearance-wise but inside there's the 1.42GHz CPU and ATI 9600 64Mb GPU on both models.

The top spec model has dropped in price and now has an 8x Dual Layer DVD SuperDrive plus a 160Gb HD.

Obviously Tiger is the included OS.

I was hoping that Airport would be included as standard at least with the SD model. Oh well, still not a bad upgrade.

The Mac mini now has serious competition

[EDIT] SD model has 512Mb RAM, base model retains 256Mb
  • Reply 3 of 14
    webavatarwebavatar Posts: 55member
    It keeps both lines alive though.. they needed to be seperated a little bit more.. it appeared they were sharing sales demo's.. Mini will never be meant for much at least right now other than getting people to initially switch. Of course down the road the possibilities are endless but for now its just meant to entice I think.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Along with new iMac G5 systems, Apple today quietly updated it's eMac educational desktop systems with faster PowerPC G4 processors.

A $799 model includes a 1.42GHz PowerPC G4, 256MB DDR333 SDRAM, an 80GB Ultra ATA drive Combo drive, ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 64MB video memory and a 56k internal modem.

A $999 model doubles the SDRAM and hard disk space and includes a double-layer 8x SuperDrive drive.

Both models ship with Apple's new Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" and include built-in 17-inch flat CRT displays.

BTO SDRAM Price Reduction

To coincide with both the new iMacs and eMacs, Apple today also dropped the price of its built-to-order RAM upgrades. An upgrade to 512MB of RAM now costs $50, while a boost to 1GB will set you back $225. This represents a reduction of $25 and $100, respectively.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Nice upgrade Apple.

I'm liking the iMac even more now

AP/BT built in

Faster processors

Gigabit(This means they can be used in an Xgrid network now)

More standard memory

DL Drives.

I'm guaranteed to by a Rev C next year. I'm going to be looking at 2.2Ghz or so and possibly 16x DL Burner. Thank you for the Gigabit Apple. I'm wanting to run my future network at Gigabit the whole way through.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    nice to see the mini now has tiger and a 9200, even though it is only 32mb.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

nice to see the mini now has tiger and a 9200, even though it is only 32mb.

It's always had a 32 MB Radeon 9200, but now ships with Tiger. Pure Core Image 0wn@g3!

Compared with my Cube; the Mac mini is a killer compact, quiet system even with low RAM ceiling and 32 MB less video RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    So-so G4 attached to a boat anchor of a display... Yawn.

CRT, BOOO... HISSS....

Time to kill the eMac for consumers, and drop the iMac entry level to $999 -- no reason for it to be otherwise, and jazz up the mini.

This should be the last rev of eMac to be made available to consumers.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Amen to that, brother.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

So-so G4 attached to a boat anchor of a display... Yawn.

CRT, BOOO... HISSS....

Time to kill the eMac for consumers, and drop the iMac entry level to $999 -- no reason for it to be otherwise, and jazz up the mini.

you forget though why people actually still like the big heavy indestructible eMac, especially for K-9 education :: hard to steal, hard to scratch, hard to topple over, hard to break the screen (unless you f9cking smash it really really hard with a hammer)... the iMac g5 is one fragile thing compared to the eMac. and the Mac Mini... well, you could almost just slip it into your back pocket, your backpack most definitely...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Hence the wording of my post, "This shouild be the last revision of the eMac to be made available to consumers."

The reality that schools actually buy plenty of LCD's notwithstanding.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    its a good upgrade but $1000 is still to much for my budget
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

you forget though why people actually still like the big heavy indestructible eMac, especially for K-9 education :: hard to steal, hard to scratch, hard to topple over, hard to break the screen (unless you f9cking smash it really really hard with a hammer)... the iMac g5 is one fragile thing compared to the eMac. and the Mac Mini... well, you could almost just slip it into your back pocket, your backpack most definitely...

Following my reply, I think it safe to add the following. While Apple could continue to offer the eMac to edu customers, this shows no real forward thinking on their part. Schools are abandoning CRT displays wherever budgets permit. It no longer has anything to do with durability concerns. I would argue that it never did. A big CRt might be harder to knock over, that's all. I can show you labs full of Dell LCDs, and iBooks for that matter (IN GRADESCHOOLS!) that attest to it. In fact, any inspection of just a few local area schools will show that the installation of CRT or LCD screens has more to do with budget realities than age groups.

There is nothing in the iMac G5 design to prevent it from being just as durable as the eMac, even more so. For example, the speakers are already positioned out of harms way, and the optical is less likely to be tampered with. Also, it takes quite an effort to damage a desktop LCD. Uh-un, when you take cost out of the equation -- and we know Apple sells the eMac at a very generous discount to edu institutions -- then there remains no reason at all for the eMac, even in education.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Still 256 MBs standard on low-end eMacs and both Mac minis. Not good. They should all ship with 512 MBs out of the box. Specially since they're running OS X. $50 more dollars? That's 1/4 the price of an iPod mini. Grrr.