Apple's 4GB iPod mini outselling newer models, more...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Even though Apple Computer is now selling a version of its iPod mini digital music player with 50% more capacity than earlier models, the company's original 4GB configuration continues to be the most popular amongst consumers.

The 4GB iPod mini, which retails for $199, is outselling the $249 6GB model by an approximate 3 to 1 ratio, according to sources who monitor Apple's retail store operations.

On instinct, employees working at Apple's retail stores will attempt to up-sell consumers from a 4GB, which holds 1000 songs, to a 6GB capable of retain about 1500 tunes. But insiders say the average consumer response is: "1000 songs is enough."

Likewise, the 4GB iPod mini also appears to be doing its part to cannibalize sales of the 1GB flash-based iPod shuffle, which have dropped significantly over the last month. While the difference between a 4GB and 6GB mini is negligible -- with the larger offering no ensuing benefit other than the capacity increase -- consumers are realizing that for $50 more (than the 1GB iPod shuffle) they can own an iPod with nearly 5 times the capacity and a display screen.

In a way the 4GB iPod mini has established itself as a cool medium in Apple's compact line of music players -- halfway between the flagship white iPod and the gum stick-sized iPod shuffle.

In the coming months, analysts expect Apple will reshuffle its iPod offerings once again, introducing some new models and possibly doing away with others. And while the Cupertino, Calif.-based company does not yet offer a cross between its iPod mini and iPod shuffle lines,... it will (hint). They're working on it.

Meanwhile, some of Apple's other hot selling products in April included the Mac mini and PowerBook G4 product lines.

Sources close to the company tell AppleInsider that in some of its stores, new-to-Mac buyers now represent over 50% of total CPU sales. They say between 1 in 4 Macs sold on an average day is a Mac mini, but on other days this ratio is closer to 1 in 3.

And after a rather bumpy roll-out of its latest PowerBook G4 systems, Apple has corrected issues with the new PowerBook TrackPads, and as of three weeks ago began shipping units by the truckload. Interestingly enough, sources indicate that in February Apple was also experiencing a somewhat serious issue related to the batteries in the 12-inch PowerBooks, but this too has been resolved.

Finally, Apple's hard disk-based players are being met with mixed results, sources said. The company recently repackaged its 20GB model to match the 30GB and 60GB iPod photo boxes. Sales of both the 20GB and 30GB iPod photo are said to be strong and about even.

On the other hand, at $449, the 60GB iPod photo is still "no hot ticket."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,427member
    Lower both shuffles by $20

For the typical consumer the 2GB difference isn't worth $50 in many cases. But I think it's good to have the 6GB model. The ideal situation is to double the next size. I'm sure if you saw a 4GB and then an 8GB model people would be more enticed to "double down" teehee
  • Reply 2 of 88
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    The 512mb shuffle, 4GB mini and 30GB photo are the best buys imho. I think the idea of something between the mini & shuffle is cool. Perhaps a flash-based 2gb player with a screen?
  • Reply 3 of 88
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

Perhaps a flash-based 2gb player with a screen?

That's probably "it".

And, perhaps, iPod "photo" vanishes (no ingenius prediction there) and iPod becomes 40GB w/color for $299-$349. 60GB? Who needs it? Not many.

Bigger batteries. Throw in more accessories (dock, belt clip, remote).

There are a lot of ways for Apple to re-jigger the line that keeps margins high and keeps finding new customers.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

And, perhaps, iPod "photo" vanishes (no ingenius prediction there) and iPod becomes 40GB w/color for $299-$349. 60GB? Who needs it? Not many.

I think the photo & regular iPods will merge together and become iPod color or something like that. Probably 20gb, 40gb & 80gb with the top model at $399.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I have a 60 GB iPod photo and would probably upgrade for a 80-100GB storage.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    apparatusapparatus Posts: 78member
    My iPod sales record basically goes:

10GB iPod (3G)

15GB iPod (3G)

20GB iPod (3G)

iPod mini (1G)

20GB iPod (4G)

512MB iPod shuffle

My next iPod will probably be a 4GB green iPod mini...unless Apple introduces something new between now and whenever I'm in the mood to buy.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

But insiders say the average consumer response is: "1000 songs is enough."

Didn't Steve himself say during the mini introduction that they'd found that 1,000 songs is the "sweet spot" for most consumers?

I know several people who set out to buy a shuffle and ended up with a 4GB mini. I wonder if this "upgrade effect" accounts for some of the lopsided mix in mini sales. These people wouldn't have bought an iPod of any size for $249, but the low price of the shuffles got them in the door, and suddenly another $50 doesn't seem like that much for the extra features...
  • Reply 8 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

My iPod sales record basically goes:

10GB iPod (3G)

15GB iPod (3G)

20GB iPod (3G)

iPod mini (1G)

20GB iPod (4G)

512MB iPod shuffle

My next iPod will probably be a 4GB green iPod mini...unless Apple introduces something new between now and whenever I'm in the mood to buy.

Mine is

30GB iPod (3G)

60 GB iPod photo

1GB iPod shuffle

Now I need a silver iPod mini!
  • Reply 9 of 88
    jiveturkeyjiveturkey Posts: 51member
    Quote:

60GB? Who needs it? Not many.

Audiophiles.

I haven't purchased an iPod yet because 60GB is too small. Apple Lossless files (the only compressed format acceptable to my ears) consume 20-30MB each. That's only 3000 songs max on a 60GB iPod. I'd like to carry an archival quality repository of my entire music collection wherever I go. 80GB will do it.

I'm also holding out for better integration from car audio manufacturers.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JiveTurkey

Audiophiles.

I haven't purchased an iPod yet because 60GB is too small. Apple Lossless files (the only compressed format acceptable to my ears) consume 20-30MB each. That's only 3000 songs max on a 60GB iPod. I'd like to carry an archival quality repository of my entire music collection wherever I go. 80GB will do it.

I'm also holding out for better integration from car audio manufacturers.

Exactly - since most of my collection is LPs, I have only been able to burn 1000 songs into iTunes from my CDs. CDs were basically worthless to me before, but now I buy both CDs and LPs, and I will soon be over the 60GB limit.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i really wish the high-capacity 60 GB drive could be used more as a disk-intensive storage device. remember when they touted the fact that you could boot your mac from your first-gen ipod? well, i'm not an audiophile, but i would LOVE to give apple money for a big fat easy-to-use hard disk that i could boot from in case of emergency or carry some applications from one computer to the next, AND could also play songs. but all the disk activity would wear down the battery, i suppose. right now, i'd probably be left with 30-ish gigs of left over space on my ipod... which of course means i should just buyt he 30 GB ipod.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JiveTurkey

Audiophiles.

Fair enough. Now for the other 98% of the market...

( when everyone was clamoring for a 60GB iPod, I suspected that few would buy it...this is true so far...just not that many people that have a real need for it. )

P.S. And what is an "audiophile" doing buying an iPod anyway? Aren't they all spending their money on stuff like this?
  • Reply 13 of 88
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Of course few people need the top-end 60. Of course it's the lowest-seller.

Why should the top product HAVE to sell in mass quantities? All it has to do is sell enough to be worth making.

There IS demand for it. I needed it so I could boot OS X from mine, for instance.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    Quote:

( when everyone was clamoring for a 60GB iPod, I suspected that few would buy it...this is true so far...just not that many people that have a real need for it. )

I wanted a 60GB, but when it was introduced, I was being "forced" to buy it in the form of the iPod Photo at $599.00.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,549member
    Quote:

Fair enough. Now for the other 98% of the market...

P.S. And what is an "audiophile" doing buying an iPod anyway? Aren't they all spending their money on stuff like this?

In my audiophile group we do, but not that, it's pro. Not really good stuff. Just made to take a beating.

But if you read Stereophile, you'll notice that even J. A. the publisher has an iPod. The audio is much better than you think in AIFF or Lossless.

By the way, what you showed is cheap stuff, even though I know Bob.

Try something a little better:

http://www.acapella.de/index.phtml

Go to the Sphaeron. It's only $325,000.

But it's not so bad as it's for a pair, and it does include the sub.

I don't want to show anything really expensive as you might fall off your chair.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Now that Apple has brought out the digital camera adapter, I am certainly considering buying a 60GB iPod. For me the larger iPod allows me either non-lossy compressed music, or large capacity photo storage when I go on vacation, or photo shoots. If your camera is only 3.5MP then that extra room means nothing, but if you are dealing with a camera that is 6MP and up, then it starts to add up.

Lowering the price by $20 or providing a special discount on the camera adapter when you buy the 60MB iPod, might just sway some people.

There is a market for the larger iPod, but Apple needs to target them properly.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

The 512mb shuffle, 4GB mini and 30GB photo are the best buys imho. I think the idea of something between the mini & shuffle is cool. Perhaps a flash-based 2gb player with a screen?

Your math is awful. All 3 of the iPods you named are the WORST buys if you divide price by megabyte. You get much more for your money with the 1 GB shuffle, the 6 GB mini, and the 60 GB photo.

What you simply named are the most "attractive" price points of the different iPod lines.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    uncharteduncharted Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Didn't Steve himself say during the mini introduction that they'd found that 1,000 songs is the "sweet spot" for most consumers?

I know several people who set out to buy a shuffle and ended up with a 4GB mini. I wonder if this "upgrade effect" accounts for some of the lopsided mix in mini sales. These people wouldn't have bought an iPod of any size for $249, but the low price of the shuffles got them in the door, and suddenly another $50 doesn't seem like that much for the extra features...

Yeah that does happen. My wife went into the store to get me a 1GB shuffle for my birthday, she was apparently very torn between the 1GB model or stumping up the £30 for the mini.

Thankfully she went for the Shuffle, which is what suits me best. But I can see others (like my dad for example) almost automatically going for the mini due to the quantum leap in features for such a small price difference.

Hopefully soon flash prices will drop enough for price cuts in the shuffle range.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotty321

Your math is awful. All 3 of the iPods you named are the WORST buys if you divide price by megabyte. You get much more for your money with the 1 GB shuffle, the 6 GB mini, and the 60 GB photo.

What you simply named are the most "attractive" price points of the different iPod lines.

Exactly, which is something the sales numbers reflect as well. I don't think price/size is most important to people when they set out to buy an iPod.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Uncharted

Yeah that does happen. My wife went into the store to get me a 1GB shuffle for my birthday, she was apparently very torn between the 1GB model or stumping up the £30 for the mini.

Thankfully she went for the Shuffle, which is what suits me best. But I can see others (like my dad for example) almost automatically going for the mini due to the quantum leap in features for such a small price difference.

Hopefully soon flash prices will drop enough for price cuts in the shuffle range.

they already are very competitive.