Powerbook 12"... some issues

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I'll have a few guesses.

Fast battery drain and heat may be caused by energy saver settings: check it's set to put the hard disk to sleep when possible and reduced processor performance when not plugged in.

The fan on mine hardly ever comes on, even when it's plugged in. Ambent temperature is 16°C to 20°C.

If your have an Apple Airport Extreme basestation, you can get a Dr Bott Omnidirectional Antenna for it. If you have a very large area you could bridge two basestations.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    mr. tmr. t Posts: 4member
    The noise from your h/p jack is caused when the metal case touches the jack. I've noticed it ver much on my h/ps as they are have a large metal jack. Just insert it, and gently pull it out a mill or two, and it's grand, or put a sticker over the port and pop a hole in it.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Seems like my fan comes on more now since I upgraded to 10.2.4. I remember noticing this shortly after upgrading and then I read reports of that update draining the battery quickly. Could this be a problem? Anyone else notice this?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah I have a slight wobble too, I didn't realize it until I unplugged because the cords anchor it. It wobbles from left to right diagonally. Oh well not so bad.

And for God's sake what is it with everyone complaining about heat!! It's a frickin laptop of course it'll be hot! Look at all it has inside it! Get pants or get thicker skin.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    I don't mind the heat, actually it's kinda nice on a cold day, but what I don't like is having the battery drain in almost half the time it took my iBook's battery to drain. So, the heat's ok with me, but having the power drain so fast is a bummer, and perhaps the two are related ;-)
  • Reply 46 of 46
    The wobble on mine seems to have disappeared. I think the problem was the surface I was on was just uneven ever-so-slightly. (It had my CRT monitor from my old PC on it, so it might have been warping the surface a bit... but now that the monitor is gone, no problem)

My laptop gets warm just like any other laptop, Mac or PC... the hottest that it has ever gotten was enough to make it a bit uncomfortable for extended amounts of time, but definitely nothing close to scalding/burning hot.

So yup... no real issues on my machine now... it's working just as advertised and I don't regret buying it.