Xbox 360: Revealed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Pic courtesy of Engadget, apparently smuggled out of the M$ launch party.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Looks pretty cool. "Influenced" by the new white craze set off by the iPod, no doubt.

2 controller ports? *tsk* *tsk*
  • Reply 2 of 92
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Looks pretty cool. "Influenced" by the new white craze set off by the iPod, no doubt.

2 controller ports? *tsk* *tsk*

Looks pretty, uh, well, I can't really say anything about it. Pretty nondescript, looks like they went for the futuristic curved look, but were to conservative on the design.

Those are the memory slots; the controllers are wireless, and operate off of a single antenna inside the Xbox.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I need a fulltime job
  • Reply 4 of 92
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I can't wait for it to come out. I foolishly sold my Xbox, because I never used it, and right afterwards a ton of good games came out for the xbox. Now it is too soon until Xbox 360 for me to re-purchace a regular xbox, so I am stuck in the middle.

Of course, after my wait it will turn out to be non-backwards compatible... 8-(
  • Reply 5 of 92
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Cameraphone my arse! That's one heck of a flash & resolution & image quality for a phone. I'd say someone snuck in a small camera.

Nonetheless, I stick with computer games. Much better than TV resolutions.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Cameraphone my arse! That's one heck of a flash & resolution & image quality for a phone. I'd say someone snuck in a small camera.

Nonetheless, I stick with computer games. Much better than TV resolutions.

I run the component output of my playstation through a line quadrupler and project it on a 120" screen - it looks lovely. The graphics could be a little crisper maybe, but they will be in the next generation of consoles (xbox 360, nintendo revolution, and ps3 will all have dvi output, if rumor is true).

I don't think that the expense (new graphics cards and computers often) and inconvienence (running windows, having to fiddle with a mouse and keyboard in a dark theater room) are worth the benefits. This next generation of consoles will kill PC gaming as an industry.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I can't wait for it to come out. I foolishly sold my Xbox, because I never used it, and right afterwards a ton of good games came out for the xbox. Now it is too soon until Xbox 360 for me to re-purchace a regular xbox, so I am stuck in the middle.

Of course, after my wait it will turn out to be non-backwards compatible... 8-(

Yeah, there's a rumor about that: if it's correct, there will be two versions of the console. The version for $299 will have no hard drive, and will not be compatible with original Xbox games, but the $399 model will have both options available. There's also an Xbox 360-Media Center rumor, to boot. That upcoming MTV special on May 12 or 13 will answer our questions.

And I want one. The dark side wins today.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

I run the component output of my playstation through a line quadrupler and project it on a 120" screen - it looks lovely. The graphics could be a little crisper maybe, but they will be in the next generation of consoles (xbox 360, nintendo revolution, and ps3 will all have dvi output, if rumor is true).

DVI Output would be a great feature as it can handle high resolution video. But unless you are using VGA, you are running something around 640x480. A line quadrupler may break large pixels into small pixels, but unless it has some darn-good post-processing, the image quality will never exceed that of native resolution. I did see at NAB a BEAUTIFUL up-converter almost worth drooling over, but I couldn't find a price tag. (That sends up a red flag and my wallet recedes to the darkest depths of my pockets.)

I think computer games are here to stay because computers can be upgraded to support better quality/features while console games are rather limited.

I just realized I have a PSP sitting here on my desk. (I'm borrowing it from family for a while) I am amazed at how much stuff they crammed into that little package. The little thing is really responsive and the video is crisp (resolution) and smooth (framerate). Though the screen is only 480x272.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's a very ugly box, made worse by the fact that it doesn't look like it's meant to lie on its side. So I guess you won't be able to put it in a cabinet without it overheating.

I'll put 20 bucks on Microsoft losing another billion dollars on this xBox.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    I just hope Halo 3 is better that Halo 2. I still play Halo 1 much more than the second. I'm guessing it won't be as good, since the skim plot is already set in motion.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's a very ugly box, made worse by the fact that it doesn't look like it's meant to lie on its side. So I guess you won't be able to put it in a cabinet without it overheating.

It clearly is designed to be placed flat too...(my hilighting)

...little feet.

Yes, the box is curvy but not as much as it seems.

And the things'll sell like crazy...
  • Reply 12 of 92
    johnsocaljohnsocal Posts: 193member
    Dont be surprised if M$ unveils a $5 monthly subscrption fee for unlimited music downloads on their new music subscription service option for LIVE. I would also bet that the oval-like slot on the bottom (or far right) is for connecting a ipod-like device to be used for game-backup and more importantly music. Since the xbox360 has no ability to burn cd's it would be easier for M$ to get companies willing to jump on their music subscription service since music will one be played by either the xbox360 or it ipod-like like portable player and if/when a person cancels their music subscription it will automatically remove all songs that were supplied by that subscription service.

It appears there will only be one xbox360 initially selling for $275 and a $75 HardDrive option that not only make it backwards compatible but it will have HALO 2.5 preinstalled with new levels and updated graphics with true HDTV resolution.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Nazty.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I'm not sure why they are even bothering. Weak and ugly hardware with pretty much the same mostly peecee developer support. I doubt they will even be able to maintain their current userbase during the next console cycle.

Just knife the baby Microsoft, you know you want to.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

And the things'll sell like crazy...

The xBox 1 sold very well, but MS loses money on every unit sold. The money is make on game royalties, but there weren't very many good games for xBox, so the operation as a whole didn't do very well.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

I'm not sure why they are even bothering. Weak and ugly hardware with pretty much the same mostly peecee developer support. I doubt they will even be able to maintain their current userbase during the next console cycle.

Just knife the baby Microsoft, you know you want to.

One of the appealing things about the xBox was its ability to be hacked. I'm not sure how easy this one will be to hack, given that it uses a relatively unknown ISA and motherboard configuration. So right there you're taking away a core component of the xBox market . . . i.e. people that buy more than one or two games.

Microsoft make a marketing mistake in trying to sell it to my age group. We have day jobs, other things to do, etc, and don't buy the same number of games as do younger teenagers who ask for video games as birthday gifts, etc. I have a PS2 with only one game (GT4). My friends have an xBox with only Halo 1. This is not unusual. Unless MS radically changes their strategy, xBox 2 will become the same financial nightmare that xBox 1 has become.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    It's all going to depend on what they have to offer.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    -iPod white

-slot-loading drive

-what appears to be a jog wheel on the device?

Micro$haft never ceases to amaze me. At least it looks cool so far.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    The game buying public is older and more affluent than last generation. Every gamer that I know is going to buy both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, but once they have them, I doubt that the Nintendo Revolution will have many sales.

The PS3 will be a lot better than the Xbox 360 (cell processor, blue ray drive, etc), but it will be out a year later. If the PS3 was out at the same time as the Xbox 360, then I would agree that Microsoft was doomed.

Nintendo would do better to become a software only company, like Sega.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

-slot-loading drive

-what appears to be a jog wheel on the device?

It's tray loading, and that is just a REALLY big power button.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:

Nintendo would do better to become a software only company, like Sega.

I'm sending him after you.